“A fabulous experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Valletta
Melbourne, Australia
“A fabulous experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We enjoyed our time at Grand Hotel Excelsior in Valetta, this hotel really made our stay in Malta so much more memorable.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Valetta. Although if you don't like stairs and a walk up an incline to get to Valetta shops, it might be worth staying at Hotel Phoenica in Valetta.
I personally did not mind the walk it was still warm, but I could imagine in peak season/summer it would be quite hard for some one who is elderly or unfit.

Here are my thoughts on the hotel:

CHECKING IN
We checked in mid October 2012, it was great to have a complimentary refreshing juice upon arrival, as is still quite warm in Malta at this time.
There is also free wifi, be sure to ask what the wifi password is when checking in. The only downfall was constantly reconnecting to the wifi, but I shouldn't complain it was free.

HOTEL ROOM
I requested a smoking room for my boyfriend, we were given a room on the first floor of the hotel which at first I was not thrilled about, as I would have preferred a room a couple of stories higher. But when arriving in the room, I was delighted to find that the pool area and spa were on the same floor.
The smoking area was outside through the sliding doors.
Towels are changed on a daily basis and there is a turn down service in the afternoon, chocolates are left on your bedside table.
If you would like your mini bar filled you need to fill out a form and leave this on the door. Room Service was great and speedy service.

HOTEL STAFF
They were all very friendly and accomodating.

THE BAR
The Harbour View Bar is open 24 hours, peanuts or chips/crisps are served with your drinks. The waiters did not need to be reminded of what you ordered, they would just ask if you would like another drink.

DINING
Breakfast was included in our booking, there is quite a selection of choice for eg toast, omlette, bacon/scrambled eggs, fruit etc The breakfast is served in the Spice Island room.

We had lunch and dinner at Admirals Landing, my partner said that his hamburger was one of the best he had ever had in his life. As a vegan I was also catered for, for lunch a grilled vegetable wrap and dinner a penne pasta with tomato and asparagus - delicious!!! Be sure to tell the waiter of your dietary requirements.

TOURS/TRAVEL
As we were only in Malta for a short period of time, it was great to organise a tour through the hotel. You can choose from a 3-8 hour tour. We opted for the 3 hour tour (95 Euro each) were we were able to choose 3 places we wanted to see, we chose Mosta, Blue Grotto (it will cost 7 euro extra to go on a boat into the grotto) and Marsaxlokk (only go on Sunday when there is a craft/fish market), it was great to be able to walk around and experience these areas at your leisure. The driver will tell you a time and meet of where to meet him.

There are drivers available upon request to drive you to other areas of Malta, please note it will cost more than a taxi, so you may want to walk up to Valetta where the bus terminal is to grab either a bus or a taxi to your location. But if you do not have the time it is very convienient.

POOL/SPA/GYM
The pool area is lovely, it has a lovely picturesque view, the banana lounges are limited so you may need to wait around for some one to leave if you arrive later in the day. There are complimentary towels in the spa area. There is an outdoor bar area, where you can enjoy a drink or have one poolside. There is also an indoor pool area and a gym next door.
If you would like a massage or spa treatment, book in advance. My boyfriend was able to get a massage and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Enjoy your stay, when I go back to Malta I will return to this hotel.

2 Thank Cynthia B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (909)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is a great location, just outside the city gate. Large hotel with pool and jacuzzi, spa, exercise room, poolside cafe/bar, and numerous restaurants and bars inside. We had a large, beautiful room with a balcony with views of the pool and waterfront. I thought the price, while higher than some, was an excellent value considering all of the amenities and services.

2 Thank JudiSF
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I recently stayed in the Grand Excelsior Hotel in Malta. I was much looking forward to it. Unfortunately the service in the restaurant and pool was unbelievably poor for a high profile property that has had in the last number of years accommodated Rod Stewart, Angela Merkel, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Roberto Mancini ..... oh yes and me.

When I requested in the restaurant that the food I ordered on the basis I would get it quickly I would have to cancel I was basically told it was my fault if I was in a hurry! The pool perosnnel charges €15 on your room for every towel you take to use by the pool!! The food a colleague got was not toasted but burned! etc etc

All in all a very disappointing stay that I won't be repeating, they're are plenty of other options in this beautiful part of the world and I will try other options on my next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TheLittleSeal
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Lovely hotel spoiled by :
- On check-in, the tone of the receptionist announcing I had chosen a room without harbour views was somewhat demeaning. (Surely my choice is my business!)
- Guests are required to sign a bond of 50 Euro PER DAY against a credit card.
- You are required to pre-order and pre-pay should you want your mini bar stocked.
- For a pool towel there is a 5 Euro charge against your credit card (I presume in case you wish to run away with their skimpy half sized pool towels? - If you are criminally minded, it is hard to abscond with a towel when there is only one entry to the pool, via the spa reception desk!) - Don't loose the towel voucher or they will charge you anyway!
All of this makes you feel as though the hotel doesn't trust you!!!! - And, not just me I noted several guests offended by the request to place a bond on a pool towel, refuse to sign and stalk off on a huff!!!
- Want a drink while sitting beside the pool? - Takes an age for pool bar staff to attend. Takes an even greater age for your drink to arrive. By that time your drink is flat and tasteless! Not because the bar staff were busy - Just chatting between themselves! (Again, not just me, watched it happen over several days)
- If you do not want to lug your bags up the extensive steps of the entrance, your only option is to take a hotel car at 20 Euros (5 Euros more than the regulated price for a standard taxi from airport to hotel) - Just seems greedy to me and their hotel car is little different to the standard taxi you probably arrived in.
- If you wish to use the hairdryer, it is in the desk drawer on the far side of your room, on a very short lead - Don't bother trying to look in the mirror, the cord is too short and the oversize desk lamp is in the way!
- Cleaning staff obviously don't bother checking or reporting room maintenance issues ... Bedside lamp not working, bathroom scales not working, shower drain blocked!
On the whole it is a lovely hotel and the views from the pool are stunning. But, what could be a lovely stay is spoiled for many by petty bureaucracy and poor management.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank IJustwant2travelSam
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

luxury place with very fireindly, helpful and profesional staff, huge swiming pool and small one for kids, good but expensive restaurant, nice location on the sea shore, very spacious and clean rooms, perfect breakfast with variety of dishes, good for family vacations

Room Tip: take this one with balcony and great sea view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dragon707070
Queensland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We hastily booked the Excelsior Grand directly with the hotel, understanding that it was a 5* in Valletta town. Overall, we were disappointed with the experience.

I had arranged for the hotel to collect us from the airport with their 'executive chauffeur-driven service' at a cost of €20, but was collected by a bus driver in his rather tired and dirty Renault! Check-in proved to be a challenge with a fairly long wait, and then the inexperienced clerk was unable to process my Amex correctly, requiring a phone call to Amex to confirm that there was not a problem with my card, and that he was inputting the details incorrectly.

The room I booked was an executive level room, 819, and on entering, found that the carpet was ill-fitting, stained with water markings and generally grubby. The security latch to the door was broken off. The views were quite good over the harbour and Manoel Island, looking north. The balcony was deep, but the external lighting did not work.

On the first night, we attempted to dine in the hotel, only to find the main restaurant closed for a private function, and the breakfast room converted for other evening diners. There was a buffet every night, as well as a la carte. On this occasion, we didn't want a large buffet, just a quick small main course, and back to bed. When the waiter finally attended to us, we were told that there was a wait of at least 1 hour for a meal, other than the buffet. We gave up, and returned to the room hungry.

The bed was comfortable, and after a good sleep, the next morning went into the executive lounge for breakfast, only to be told that we didn't have those privileges! Only by insisting that I did, and that the receptionist should check with management, was it confirmed that indeed my wife and I were permitted. Incidentally, during the 6-day stay, my wife and I were the only guests 'permitted' to use the executive lounge, as far as I could judge, as no else was there when we were, either at breakfast or evening canapés. Once we had overcome the issue of 'right to enter' the wait person in the lounge (and we had 3 over the week) was exceptionally friendly and welcoming. I think that they were glad to talk with someone!

On our 3rd night we did dine in, and selected the buffet at a reasonable €30/head. It was described as a South American theme. This would probably go on record as being one of the worst buffets that I've had. The prawns were not fresh, but frozen and over-cooked; the swordfish was so over-cooked it had the consistency of newspaper; mussels were over-cooked and rubbery; and so it went on. Being Sth American, I was expecting some beef but there was not even a hint of a bovine presence in any of the dishes! The deserts were probably a saviour, and quite acceptable.

Every day we walked to the town or bus terminus up the flight of quite imposing steps, that emphasised the grand entrance to the hotel. Not once during our stay was this stairway swept or washed of the falling olives from the tree at the top. A first impression of squashed olives staining the tiles, and sticking to the soles of your shoes is not the best.

The building is constructed of sandstone, as are all buildings in Malta, and absorbs dirt into the surface very quickly. Partial cleaning of the sandstone was done, but left the building looking patchy and tired. The owners could make this into a very good hotel if they tried, but it needs a complete re-vamp and fresh thinking to bring it up to international 5* expectations.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 23425
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Excelsior is well -located for Valetta tourism, but has only a small pool and no beach front. The indoor pool is OK, but no at all designed for laps and there is no heat in the pool-side Jacuzzi (indoors, or outdoors). The exercise room is tiny and ill-equipped for males unless you are small I suppose or only looking for some easy cardio on a treadmill. They have a menu, but most meals are 'buffet' style (and very expensive for what you get) and the 'Theme Nights' dinner usually only differ by one or two dishes (and even then, mostly by name only). Do not expect fresh fish... I highly recommend a cab ride to a good fishing village restaurant if you want fish. The transportation desk is very handy, although for a ride to the airport they charge 5EU more than a cab. You can get a car driver for an exclusive tour of anywhere for 3 for much less than a bus package, so I also suggest checking that out. Be careful on some things: the Excelsior charges you extra for everything,15EU deposit for a pool towel for instance. You can't drink the water, and they only provide one small bottle of water each per day, and charge a large amount for a second person in a room when all you get for it is another breakfast and one little bottle of water. IF you decide to alter your stay duration, they will charge you for any days early you leave - they have a 'policy' that you must make changes at least 24 hours BEFORE checking in!

Room Tip: Half the hotel is behind a hill, if you want to see more than dirt, go high.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank worldfishingfreak
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Hotel Phoenicia
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,348 reviews

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!