$189
$176
$268
$248
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of $317/night.

Castille Hotel(Valletta)
galahotels.com
  • Pool
British Hotel(Valletta)
4,605 results
All reviewsindoor pooltiki restaurantprivate beachsea viewlarge hotelevening buffetfive starthe busdeluxe roompool staffconcierge deskturn down serviceplenty of sunbedsmanoel islandsteep hillpool sidethe hotel offers
Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful hotel, set in beautiful gardens and overlooking the harbour. It was a real treat to wake up and see the view, watch the yachts when you were having breakfast or dinner. Lovely pool with a small pool for children. Very attentive service for drinks and snacks whilst lounging! It was a real treat to stay there.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Miffed-from-West-Mid
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This review may be a little late, but I feel that it should be written. Please check out my other reviews to see I try to be balanced in my views...
OK, here we go.... We booked many months ago to stay in the Grand Excelsior for 11 nights from 25 June 2012.
We had booked via Expedia and had booked a King bedded standard room. This was amongst the options available to us along with a twin room or deluxe etc....
On arrival we were met with a courteous check in assistant, who went through our entire booking, key card etc to tell us at the end that ‘our twin room was on the 4th floor’.
That was not what we had booked... We were told that they had no King standards left and we hadn’t really booked a King on Expedia, even though our booking clearly stated room type: King Bed Standard....
Adding to this was a group of dancers and staff for the upcoming MTV ‘Isle of Music’ concert, who were checking in at the same time, who were all receiving King rooms – one per guest!!!
I will curtail what happened next into a short comment; - after an hour of staff trying to persuade us to take the twin room or PAY for a king upgrade, they realised it was THEIR fault and offered us a free upgrade to a deluxe King.... Something professional backroom accommodation staff would have done in the first instance!
To be fair, our room and service for the rest of the holiday was what you would expect from a 5 star hotel.
The pool area at the Excelsior is really nice and has fabulous views over the adjacent harbour; there are loads of sun beds and brollies along with many staff, happy to serve you drinks and snacks at your sun bed all day.
HOWEVER, if you want total relaxation and use of the facilities you have paid for during ALL your stay, then the Grand Excelsior may not be for you.....
Picture this; you go down to the pool at 9am to do a day’s sunbathing and relaxing, only to find tables and chairs set out for a meal and some of the shady gazebos taken up with food serving point and a small stage built near the pool, all this restricting your use of the facilities. This is for a wedding taking place around the pool in the early evening. This happened 4 times to us in 11 days....
The hotel, do put out the beds they have had to move - on a block paved area near to a private mooring they have which is a short walk to the pool facility, but has no character and you feel like you are regiment-ally set out.
THIS IS NOT 5 STAR CUSTOMER CARE. I APPROACHED SOME STAFF WHO SAID THEY APPRECIATED OUR DISAPPOINTMENT BUT THE HOTEL IS USED QUITE A LOT FOR LOCAL WEDDINGS TO BOOST ITS INCOME.
The hotel is likely to lose so many potential returning customers, including ourselves because of this approach; the income from weddings will not balance the books.
Final comment:
5 star hotel let down by much less than 5 star consideration for the customers paying to use it as a holiday hotel instead of a wedding venue!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tonyw6
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I didn't like the way staff treat guests, especiallly the night receptionist. He had no idea of how the greet guests. I was holding my wedding dress and luggages in my hand and other items given to me during the wedding but all the reception did was yell to go to his side of the reception. He actually snapped his fingers to be honest. Then everything after that was an unpleasant lecture of all the charges we would incur if we would, for example, order room service rather than go down to breakfast, lose the pool towel tokens, use the sauna, etc. Later when we went to the spa, the so called heated indoor pool was freezing (no wonder it was empty), the jacuzzi wasn't working and the sauna was actually free since we were booked for a spa treatment afterwards. Had I not checked I wouldn't have known the sauna was complimentary with my treatment. Considering I've always stayed in 5* hotels, I did not feel Excelsior was of that calibre. Even the restaurants were very noisy and the food not top notch. And I don't know if the wedding dress was not enough to give it away but we were there on a honeymoon weekend and we didn't find anything to make us feel like we're on honeymoon.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank esmeralda_attard
Reviewed August 6, 2012

There were 3 kids and 3 adults staying in interconnecting sea view rooms for 8 days.
The bad:
* Wi-Fi is very frustrating if you are in your room and not in lobby area and for 5 star it's pretty bad.
* No privacy on balconies. They are opened up and anyone on your floor in a similar room to yours could jump onto anyone's balcony and could even "try" and get into your room - but we didn't have a problem - just saying!
* Excessive charges to use hotel taxis. 5klms ride can set you back €25 - ridiculous.
* Sun goes down in Summer approx 8.30pm but pool closes at 6pm although some days this was/wasn't in place.
* Housekeeping could straighten the bedding and rooms a little better for 5 star, it just seemed rush and old sheets / cover flipped back over.

The Good:
* Nicest staff ever. Always greeted you anytime of the day, pleasant, happy and seemed like they wanted to genuinely be there. Whether it was housekeeping, pool attendants, restaurant staff or front staff, they were all very courteous with great English.
* Rooms were spacious with the most comfy bedding & pillows. Great views of harbour, pool and outside area.
* Close to main Valletta bus terminal
* Easy check-in / check - out

Overall I loved this hotel, amazing pool, wonderful Staff and superb food. I would definately recommend and stay here again if lucky enough. Malta is a beautiful place, a long way from my Aussie home but I already miss it. Glad I picked this grand hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Mama_DRJAM
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is a pretty good hotel given the room price. It is a bit dated, and feels more like a four than a five stars. But hey, I would not expect a real 5 star hotel in Malta for less than 200 euros a night. The location is fantastic. After seeing the location of many other hotels in Malta, I would still pick the Excelsior hands down. The swimming pool is great, and so is the direct access to the sea. Also, I tried the spa services, and they were very good.

On the downside, I hate the feeling that the hotel is trying to make a buck out of anything. First, they block the 30 euros a night on the card. Then they charge you for things like a hot chocolate or an expresso in the buffet breakfast. Worst experience I had is having to wait for 40 minutes for a taxi. Not that there is any lack of taxis in Valletta, it is just that the hotel will only use their own service, and will not call a regular (and less expensive) taxi. The information I received from the information desk was also horrible, since they were only interested in selling their own tourist packages instead of giving a complete information of the different options available.

We did hire a one-day private tour of the island for 120 euros. And, I have to admit this was the highlight of our trip. We hired other services elsewhere, and they were much, much worse. The hotel should be more open about different options, and play up the quality of their offering instead of giving the impression that they are simply trying to trick you into buying their products.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple