“Prehistoric gems not found anywhere in the world!”

National Museum of Archaeology
Ranked #15 of 93 things to do in Valletta
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Some of mankinds oldest artworks, this museum should really have been called a prehistric art museum! Its truly unique if you just spend a little time understanding just how old the tiny little art work pieces of human heads, figurines and walls are...fantastic! Without it, my trip to Malta would not have been the same!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,039)

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We enjoyed seeing all the artifacts in the museum and found the setting very elegant. We wish we could have spent more time seeing all the details on the beautiful objects, but there was so much to see in Malta in just two days.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Interesting exhibits on Malta's very early history. Adult entry fee is currently 5 euro and that's probably fair considering it's a very small museum, but obviously it's better value if seen on a pass (either the museum multipass sold by Heritage Malta or the Malta Pass). This museum would be of most interest to hardcore archeology buffs. If you've only got a little time in Malta, you're probably better off giving this a pass and focusing on other sites. However, if you're on a long stay or you're a returning visitor who has already seen the major sites, this one is worth a stop in.

Exhibits are clearly labeled and, as noted by another reviewer, presented in a clear and logical order. Items are lit well so everything is easy to see. The collection upstairs is a bit more "hands on" but I confess that some of this felt a bit gimmicky to me. Then again, I'll readily admit that I'm not a huge fan of that sort of thing. Not having children myself, it's hard for me to judge whether this sort of thing would appeal to them. When I visited, there were only adults there. My guess is that it's probably not hands on enough to occupy young children, although the upstairs collection is colorful and presented nicely. Older children or teens with an interest in these periods might like it.

At this writing (May 2013), several items are out on loan to an exhibition in New York, but The Sleeping Lady is in residence. I went to the museum primarily to see her so I was satisfied, but there are still other interesting and important items in the collection now. Although I was disappointed that some items weren't there, I was satisfied with the overall experience. I spent about 90 minutes there but I tend to read everything. An hour or so is enough to do it justice even with the full collection in place.

Bathrooms both upstairs and downstairs. Lockers available on the lower level. No restaurant or shop, but this is Valletta so there are plenty of options available already. Location is easy to find.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This museum is tiny & will not take you long to tour.

Many of what would have been the most impressive items are on loan to other museums.

Worth the 5 euros, if at least for the air conditioning.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was interesting especially as we had been to the ancient temples at Paola the previous day and a lot of the artefacts had been removed to Museum for safe keeping. There were also fascinating sections on such diverse conquerors of the islands as the Phoenicians and the Arabs.

1  Thank Judith40