Very strong positives outweighed the negatives for us, although they might not for everyone.
The positives have been mentioned over and over, but I'll repeat them one more time: (1) a breath-taking view of the harbor from the restaurant and bar and from the guest rooms on that side (we paid a 15 euro premium for one, and it was worth every cent); (2) a short walk (up a steep hill, to be sure) to the center of town; (3) a friendly and helpful staff; and (4) a reasonable price.
You have to decide whether these assets are worth putting up with some hostel-like aspects of the place. (If not, you should at least stop by for a beer or a glass of wine in the bar and take in the view.)
Here are three drawbacks to consider:
(1) The breakfast -- cereal, bread, processed cheese, lunch meat, coffee, and "juice" --would have been perfectly adequate had the bread not been stale every morning. (We ate lunch in the restaurant once and the bread was stale then, too.)
(2) The only ventilation in our room (106) was through a door that led to a terrace shared with the room next door (105). To avoid suffocation we had to leave it open at the price of some privacy and security. We had the option of paying an extra 7 euros a night for air conditioning, but it seemed silly when cool sea breezes were there for the taking.
(3) As in many "budget" hotels, the sheets were too small to stay tucked in, so we wound up sleeping partly on a bare mattress (which you don't want to think about too much).
Not to end on a negative note, our room was bright and clean, with nice new furnishings, including a flat-screen TV with a number of channels broadcasting in English, Maltese, and Italian. We found, however, that we much preferred to take in the marvelous view of ships in the harbor and fireworks across the bay.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and HRS so you can book your British Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- British Hotel Malta/Valletta