“A room with a view”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Valletta
Crete, Nebraska
“A room with a view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is an old style hotel, with rooms scattered about the floors and a small lift that operates between them. The distinct advantages of the hotel are its location, very central to the bus stop and main shopping street, and the view it has of the harbor. Although the room had a view, it was from a window that you had to stand up to look out of.
The notable thing about the hotel is that they charge extra for air conditioning (5 euro per day). I stayed there from Sept 18-21 and didn't take it--they provide a fan and you can actually sleep with the window open, as there's not really any street noise to speak of. The room itself is average size for Europe; my room had twin beds and a desk and chair. The TV had some English channels; wifi is not available in the room, but you can get it in the breakfast area and in a nice bar area (the bar isn't open), both of which have beautiful views of the harbor. There's no safe, though you can use the front desk, where you have to leave your key when you leave the room. The bathroom was nice, relatively roomy with an adequate shower; closet space was OK with 10 hangers.
The breakfast was a minimal Euro breakfast: 2 cereals, bread, cheese, ham-like meat, fruit cocktail, juice from a machine, but good coffee.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed at the British Hotel for a week break with my boyfriend last week. The hotel is very old and quaint with alot of character. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room we had was large with a fantastic view to wake up to every day of the gorgeous sea water of the harbour and view of the three cities opposite valletta, absolutely stunning view. I cannot complain about anything about the hotel. I would say that there could be many areas for improvement within the hotel that would make it better and potentially gain higher marks in reviews. For example, there is a roof terrace which really could be improved, if it were to have nice tables & chairs up there, a small bar area with some background music playing it would have a nicer feel and more reason to go up there. As it stands there are a few sun beds and 3 manky tables with no chairs. If you want a drink its a fair way down to get a drink to bring it back up. Also a bar on the second floor would be a good idea where there clearly used to be one many years ago.
I would say the hotel would be unsuitable if you were disabled at all or struggled with stairs as although a lift does take you part the way up, there are also many stairs to tackle so this needs to be considered when booking.
The best thing about the hotel is the beautiful view and also its location in Valletta is perfect for walking to the centre of valletta, the bus station and all the attractions are not far at all.
We didnt pay for Air con as the Fan provided was sufficient, however if you go in the height of summer, it would be ideal to pay the extra for air con.
The breakfast is basic but enough to kick start your day!
Overall this hotel is ideal for many reasons, and we really enjoyed staying here. Its an idealic location and possibly the best view from any hotel in Valletta.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miffy82
Brussels
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

The hotel is rather difficult to find as the adress 40 Battery Street is the adress for the mail. The actual street you need to drive to is Ursula street if you have a car, otherwise the GPS will go bananas.
The reception and employees are very kind and hospitable. Rooms have sufficient space though the furniture is rather outdated. Airco needs to be bought for 7.50 EUR/night while the room was already 75 EUR/night. The bathroom was cramped but sufficient. Breakfast was terrible, far from British and far from tasty. The views from the roof terrace and the restaurant were stunning so the location did cover for most of the other minors. Still it suits well as a starting point for a vacation on Malta as it is located very close to Valletta city center. If you are not such a critical person like me I still would recommend to go there as it is a great starting point for a holiday. I would not recommend to stay there for a full week.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Frank K
ZUZUMalta, Owner at British Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thanks for your comments ,but there are some things which need to be corrected. The mail address is in Ursula street which used to be the main entrance before 1979 and is in the street with steps so if you come by car its not the correct address to put in the GPS. One should use the Battery street address as you can drive up right to the main door in front of the hotel. It could be that either your GPS was not updated or you inputted the wrong address. Rooms are provided with fans free of charge but A/C has a charge of 7 euro not 7.50 euro per day as stated. As to the bathroom being cramped , I believe its quite a normal size for a two star hotel , Although the hotel name is British , it does not mean we serve English breakfast....we serve an adequate continental buffet breakfast which is complimentary with the room rate as some other hotels charge extra for the breakfast. As regards to it being tasty, it depends on one' s taste for if we start charging for it we can include a hot cooked breakfast and even champagne if one is willing to pay for it.

Travelers are raving about these Valletta hotels

Mosta, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Unassuming and great view of Malta's fantastic natural harbour. We go also for food is the food good? Yes not to write home about but genuine I suppose Maltese Roast beef ,Chicken and pork food like Timpana, Ross il- forn, and so on . Price is reasonable.If you want to go on St. Paul's feast on February 10th it is advisable to book as usually it is packed. If on any other day you will find a place perhaps not on the balcony. I am certain that ex British service people and returned emigrants will enjoy the atmosphere and the food which is genuine to say the least. I love my mother's tasting food in a restaurant once I returned from Canada about 2o years ago I also went recently and the place has not changed there is something quaint about this since very thing is changing so fast around Valletta .I think the British Hotel has retained its special charm!! I shall go again and again when I need a nostalgic uplift and I suggest the unassuming visitor to visit this restaurant and enjoy the food and breathtaking view of the natural harbour to their heart's content Go and enjoy!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

If you have a humorous approach to life, and are British, this hotel may be just what you want.
Three or four old houses have been amalgamated to make an idiosyncratic, characterful, tired hotel overlooking the Grand Harbour. The views are stunning- even in my little top small quite clean, hot twin bedroom.
Toast the lovely Maltese bread, top with Cheese slices and red jam or ham slices and marmalade at breakfast, sip a mug of tea and gaze at the view from the dining room terrace.

Room Tip: Go for a front room with a view...but book early, as when we were there the hotel was full.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marmduke
NJ USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION!

Think of a grand dame with her wrinkles and age marks. The British Hotel has one of the finest locations that we saw in Valletta. (We are not fans of large resorts with hundreds of people). Sunny or not, the Grand Harbour is incredible to behold; that is the view from the British Hotel. Six of us came after a week on Ischia and went from one incredible view (Ischia) to another. Located near many points of interest (churches, Museum of Archaeology, shopping and more ) and/or transportation to many points, the location was just perfect.

The staff happily arranged sightseeing for us, taxis, walking directions, and helpful advice. We toured the entire island by land and partially by boat. Architecture, history, culture.....all readily available.

The British Hotel is VERY inexpensive but a gem if for no other reason than its location.

Yes, extra for sea view; yes, extra for air conditioning (which is needed). Rooms are clean and the staff was beyond patient with our requests and questions. (We did confuse waiter, George, with our American chatter and strange requests, but he just smiled and we went from there). Food was adequate; not gourmet by any means. Breakfast in an open dining room was a pleasure to enjoy while watching boats, large, small, power and sail, go by.

Would love to return and help with some minimal upgrades that could eliminate the comments made below about this charming old lady of Valletta. If given the opportunity to visit Malta again and stay in Valletta, we would do so (unless we were traveling with people that can't get over themselves!)

KNOW WHO YOU ARE WHEN YOU BOOK THIS HOTEL. IF YOU ARE OF THE INTERCONTINENTAL OR FOUR SEASONS MINDSET, THEN FORGET IT! IF YOU HAVE A SENSE OF FUN AND WANT TO HAVE CLEANLINESS, SAFETY AND L O C A T I O N THEN THIS IS THE HOTEL FOR YOU.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a sea view..........only a few Euros more and get air conditioning. We were not both...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cyndybear
Arnhem, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We got a seaside view room with balcony for 85 euros a night. Way to much. Room smelled funky, had to pay extra for airco and when I asked late at night for a print of the planeticket, I had to buy credit on the public pc to print, which didn't even work. I can't understand why every little thing has to be charged when you ask so much for a room. The location is ok, nice view and large balcony. The standard continental breakfast was soso.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
davidmontebello, Owner at British Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for your review which you promised to write . I explained to you at 00.30 that night when you came in late that we have a guest computer that you can use for a small fee of 2.00 euro and you can print from there. A far as I know we greeted you with a smile but as soon as I told you the front office computer is not allowed for guests you were angry . As I explained to you ...we installed a computer for guests in the 2nd floor as besides having free Wifi in public areas.. there was a need for guests to print documents even from USB. However after contracting a virus which infected our system we cannot allow anyone to use our main front office computer and since you are an IT expert you should know . With regards to print .. I do not why your print outs did not work as others used it before you but I did print then for you in the end from my computer , I find it strange that you did not mention this. With regards to A/C its written for clearly on our site in the reception and in the room that its extra so its not like a surprise...with regards to the the other items mentioned I do not think its worth going over them as one can come to his own conclusion as to why they were even brought up.. What we charge for the room is a matter of opinion as with a location like we have ...there are people who have wanted to pay more . I think before one makes a reservation , one must also check for what one is paying for and the use of internet and the A/C are clearly mentioned .