“Disappointing”

Cafe' Matteo
Ranked #208 of 258 Restaurants in Valletta
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We just went here one Saturday afternoon for a few coffees and drinks so I am not in a position to comment about the food.

The location is great but it seems to be a big hit with the pigeons too. It is so annoying to have them constantly coming to your table.

We waited for a long time before having our order taken. The waitress who served us looked so bored and depressed. No smiles whatsoever. It took her forever to input our orders on her electronic gadget. She didn't even know what a Jack Daniels was!

What a put off!

2  Thank Afrodeeta

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Another disappointing coffee. In the heart of Valletta this site has enormous potential to attract customers yet is lacking in customer service and quality. Large outdoor area with few patrons yet the service was lousy. The menu was water logged and stuck to the table and the one bored waitress was more interested with her mobile phone than actually servicing us. Coffee was OK but nothing spectacular, while the pigeons enjoyed my soggy apple pie.

3  Thank Mal B
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Because of its prime location in a square next to the Cathedral, I expected this café to be pricey but was pleasantly surprised. I had a Chicken & Mushroom pasty with crisps and a pint of Cisk for just over €5. You'd pay much more in the UK. The waitress who served me was friendly and efficient too.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We went to Cafe Matteo in 2010 & 2011 and had very enjoyable snacks with delicious drinks.
Sadly in October 2013 the service was less good but the food was awful. I ordered a salad of shrimps in Rosemarie sauce which was delivered without sauce. When I questioned the sauce I was given 3 sachets of cheap mayo! My husband 's roasted pepper salad was submerged in oil and covered with poor quality anchovies.
We shall avoid this one in future.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Service was good, outdoor tables, ok price for the very centre of Valletta in the heart of the tourist area.