“nothing to criticise”

The Phoenicia Malta
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Great location, nice sized airy room with comfortable bed and good sized bathroom ,if a little dated. the staff very friendly and helpful;relaxing main bar area with free wifi; the Club bar cosy and great for pre dinner drinks really enjoyed our 5 night stay -not at all worried by that old TV

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Many thanks for the kind words you have shared with us on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to know that you had a pleasant stay at the Phoenicia.

We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Kind Regards

Helena

Write a ReviewReviews (2,364)

Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel could be wonderful. It has a lot of character but there are many small things which have to be improved:

- the AC does not work. It was very warm in the room so we didn't sleep very well. We mentioned it twice to the reception but they were not really interested and offered nothing to improve the situation.
- the bathroom is very old. A little rusty and we saw some mold. Furthermore there are 2 separate tabs in the sink.
- the minibar was never restocked. We stayed there 4 nights.
- the food was horrible and you never got the food as it was described on the menu. E.g. the toasted Sandwich was cold, the cheese plate came without the bread sticks, instead of bacon they served ham, my drink was served with whipped cream instead of milk. And a simple thing like a toast took almost an hour.
- the music in the bar was very loud so that it was impossible to have a conversation.
- the porridge I ordered for breakfast was burnt.

If they improve the service and food and do some renovations I am sure this can become a lovely hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Happy_Dog1806
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This was a first trip to Malta arranged to coincide with my 60th birthday. I travelled with family but took a double room for single occupancy so had plenty of space...
The welcome was warm and friendly, I was delighted to find a birthday card and lovely chocolate cake in my room, everyone gave us good advice. Harbour view so lovely.
I'd like to mention Doris on housekeeper duties, Jonathan, Sebastian and Francis on concierge, Carmen and Antony in the Phoenix plus Charles Azzopardi the general manager as going beyond regular service.
Location is ideal. Everything is either within walking distance or reached by bus from outside the hotel. Valletta is a safe and friendly city with lovely views, cosy restaurants, historic sites...
I can't imagine a better hotel for a first visit to Malta, and I would love to return one day.

Room Tip: Get a harbour view, and 3rd and 4th floors are non smoking.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent stay with us. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We highly appreciate your comments about our team members and will ensure that your comments are forwarded to them.

I thank you for recommending us to fellow travelers, I hope to welcome you back very soon

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Phoenicia. The staff were very helpful and friendly.
It has perfect location since it is located withing a walking distance from the city centre.
The beds are very comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hotel Phoenicia with other Trip Advisor users. I am happy to learn that you have had a pleasant stay.

We look forward to welcome you back to the Phoenicia in the near future.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Hardly the 5star comfort of a modern hotel but Phoenicia retains a charm and character from the past. Excellent location for visiting Valletta. Rooms modernised but with tv as you proudly owned in 1990, plastic shower curtain that sticks to you. Wonderful big washbasin and bidet too. Pity there was no heating in the bathroom in November.
Breakfast buffet very good. Oriental neighbours seemed delighted to fill their bags for the day.
Have stayed here several times and this was the first time we visited the gardens and pool area. Wonderful pool area- will be back in summer to benefit from this.
WiFi expensive at 5€ an hour.

1  Thank Michael C

Dear Michael C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at the Hotel Phoenicia. I am glad to learn that you have enjoyed your stay over all.
Your comments and feedback are highly appreciated and will be taken as a learning opportunity which will enable us to improve our quality and service.
We look forward to your next visit.

Best regards

Reviewed November 24, 2013

this hotel is NOT a 5 stars hotel, better 3,5 to be nice.....
my room, being a smoker, is in the parallel world of the first floor. I can see nothing from my window but verybody can see what I do considering that there are the anti-light curtains but no the light curtains. so I have to stay in the dark if I don't want that the people of the noble foors look inside.
than:
1. the shower hose is ful of rust and the pipe inside broken. water everywhere but not in the pipe;
2. treasury box never worked: 2 days ago they told me was a problem of battery... still waiting.
3. waiting always for the extra water you must receive: better ask for.
4. old doors with key weighing 1 kg
5. when they knck at the door, it seems an attack wih heavy weapons
6. room service: they don't know the difference between a jag and a thermos....
7. the moquette at the floow is old but old but old and dirty!
8. the trash bin never washed and of course they don't put plastic bag inside....

5 stars, yes of course.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Camminante2013
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is a lovely hotel - such a change from the places that you normally stay on business trips. It is visually very pleasing and has great staff. I thought the complementary drinks at 6.30 were a good way to meet people and find out about Malta. One thing that could be updated is the lighting in the rooms. I had to ask for a router to get wireless broadband in my room but that was not a problem. I'd definitely go back, on both business and pleasure.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Shug100,

Thank you for sharing your experience by writing a Trip Advisor review. We highly appreciate your comments. We thank you for recommending us to other travelers, and look forward to your next visit.

Helena

Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Palazzo Consiglia
Palazzo Consiglia
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Phoenicia Malta? Share your experiences!