The Phoenicia Malta
Casa Ellul(Valletta)
$339
$327
2,430 results
All reviewsclub barthe palm courtphoenix restaurantthe businfinity poolgrand old ladyold world charmpublic roomselegant hotelmain restaurantold stylecity gatea harbour view roomstar hotelbuilding workmain gatewithout exception
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Ever since I first glimpsed the Phoenicia, when I was in the RAF some 50 years ago, I have nursed an ambition to stay there one day. Standing in an imposing position overlooking Valetta, it seemed stately and even slightly mysterious. This September, I eventually achieved my ambition. My wife and I booked a 4 night stay and just wonder why we had waited so long before doing so. The large, octagonal bar area, with its comfy armchairs and sofas, discreetly lit, was the perfect place to unwind at the end of the day with an aperitif before dinner. Dinner itself was a lovely experience, beautifully prepared food served with an almost olde world courtesy in delightful surroundings. Service everywhere was personal, warm, friendly and welcoming. We chose to upgrade to a room with a balcony overlooking the harbour and were pleased we did so - it gave a feeling of being on top of the world. The huge garden was a revelation for a city centre site. It led to a modest swimming pool and was a haven of peace yet close to the main bus terminal. We shall return to the Phoenicia. It's worth paying a bit extra occasionally to be made to feel special. Try to coincide your visit with one of the festas that take place in different towns around the island. We went to the Festa of St. Catherine in Zurieq which was an unbelievable spectacle of fireworks, illuminated buildings and streets. The hotel booked transport and we were picked up at the door.

Room Tip: Chose a room overlooking the garden or the harbour. I think those overlooking the bus terminus might be a bit disappointing, even noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Peter B
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Peter B,

Thank you for your enthusiastic review of the Hotel Phoenicia. I am so grateful that you took the time to share your experience with others. Thank you for choosing us and for recommending us to fellow travelers.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Phoenicia in the near future.

Kind Regards

Helena

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Nice hotel in beautiful grounds, but not 5*. The room was OK, but the bathroom needs a serious overhaul. The shower head was grimy and slightly disgusting, and there was mould in various places. Not enough toiletries either, which you don't expect at a 5* hotel - I had to hunt down conditioner. There were hairs in my bed as well - disgusting.

Room service is a bit of a challenge - I had to call three times in a 30 minute period for someone to pick up the phone. I ordered a croquet monsieur and some cake. The cake wasn't available (how about calling to ask if I would like something else?) and the sandwich came without ketchup.

The pool is a very long walk away from the main building - not for everyone.

Average age at the hotel is around 75 - so I felt a bit out of place.

Wouldn't come again... but Valletta is lovely.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kurumba77
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The location of the Hotel Phoenicia is fabulous, five minute walk into Valletta town and 2 mins to the bus station. The hotel needs a good upgrade though - it is a fading beauty. The lounge area is gorgeous and the outdoor terrace great for breakfast. The rooms are small and basic though - stains on the bath, cracks, old hairdryers connected into a drawer, no fresh milk, no top sheets, terrible shower curtains that stick to your body and flood the bathroom etc. The ambiance is lovely and the staff helpful, I would recommend though that prices are lowered to reflect the 3.5 star standard. The pool is about a 7 minute walk down a long path so don't forget anything! Breakfast is great however expensive at 14 euros for a continental selection.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2013

You can't beat the convenient location of the Phoenicia, right next to the bus terminal and the entrance to the City of Valletta. The lounge still has old world charm; and the Thursday happy hour for hotel guests was enjoyable. Breakfast was not exciting, but the terrace made up for the so-so choice of foods. The staff was courteous and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. I had a deluxe room with Grand Harbor view. I could see the Grand Harbor alright, but mostly the unsightly cranes at the docks, which is not something the Phoenicia can control. All in all, I had a very pleasant stay at the Phoenicia, but the price-quality ratio is not ideal.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank hhxiao
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear hhxiao,

I’m very pleased to note that you have enjoyed your stay at the Phoenicia. Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Phoenicia in the future.

Kindest Regards

Helena

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We arrived at the hotel by taxi. The driver carried our cases up the steps and we took them into reception. The door was not opened for us . We checked in speedily. The staff were not welcoming or friendly, gave us our key and told us where the lift was. We were not offered any help with our luggage.
Our room, with a harbour view on the 3rd floor was average. I understand it was one of their refurbished rooms, but it was not particularly attractive or comfortable. There was a lack of drawer space and the furniture was of poor quality and showing signs of wear. Toiletries were inadequate and not what you would expect at the price we were paying, 650 Euros for 3 nights bed and breakfast. We rang to request a shower cap and we are still waiting for it, having been home for 10 days! They have a policy that towels left on the rail can be reused, but by the next guest? When my husband picked up his towel it was heavily stained with make up!
The pool is a long walk from the hotel buildings through the gardens, don't forget anything. It is quite a pleasant area with a cafe, where the staff were very attentive and friendly.
The breakfast buffet was excellent. However, the breakfast room was dark, if you can get a table on the terrace it is better. The gold chairs are too low and as I had a back problem I asked for my chair to be changed for a higher one, but my request was ignored.
The situation of the hotel is perfect for exploring Valletta, and would be convenient if you wanted to use the buses.
Overall, an overpriced stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple