“Nice stay at perfect location”

The Phoenicia Malta
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed for a few days at Phoenicia during a business trip to Malta. The location is perfect just outside the centre of Valletta. Connections from the hotel to other parts of Malta are easy as well as the bus station is just outside the doors. The hotel is alreday old, which unfortunately can be seen in some parts of the building, but I felt comfortable with the hotel. Staff is very friendly and food is very good. My room was nice , quite, and comfortable, well equipped and always very clean. If I would have had time to watch TV I would probably have wanted to watch it from a flat screen TV, which you can find today in average budget hotels. Even though the hotel is missing parts of its luxurious past I feel more comfortable in this old hotel compared to many luxurious new hotels, which "all look the same".

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear TreckerFinland,

I am really delighted to read your comments and that you enjoyed your stay and the service provided by the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Phoenicia.

Helena

Write a ReviewReviews (2,314)

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Like many we did our research before booking our first trip to Malta and choosing the highly acclaimed Hotel Phoenicia located in beautiful Valletta. On arrival the impressive building didn't disappoint. We booked in later than expected thanks to our French air traffic control freinds, so may I take this opportunity to wish a septic hemroid on each and every one of them. Anyway, the staff in general at the Phoenicia are very friendly and helpful, however there are always the odd exception, fortunately though they were few and far between.

So lets start with the positives. Firstly, the Hotel building is impressive with its grand entrance and regal style. Off the lobby is a the main lounge, and it's a very comfortable and a pretty impressive space it has to be said. The location of the hotel was ideal, just a five minute walk from the wonderful streets of Valletta. This city is steeped in history and gorgeous architecture, I fell in love with the place. I week here just doesn't scratch the surface. We'll be back.

A stroll through the pleasant hotel gardens to the pool sets you up for a lazy day of sunbathing. The sun loungers were of good quality and plentiful and there were as many fresh towels as you could need. The swimming pool was clean, I'll get back to the pool later. The pool terrace also affords lovely views over the Grand Harbour and the historic city.

The elevated terrace was also blessed with great views and was a lovely place to take the buffet breakfast which incidentally was the best meal of the day.

These, in our opinion are the less favourable aspects of the Phoenica. With the possible exception of the main lounge and those bedrooms that had already been refurbished, on which we are unable to comment, the hotel in general is tired and is in need of a a good deal of money spending on it to bring it up to a five star. In my humble opinion it's currently a good four star.

I would describe The Phoenix dining room as depressing. The lighting and dated decor sucked out any pleasurable ambiance. The dining experience in this room was 'stuffy' and lacked any atmosphere what so ever. Personally I would avoid half board here as there are many wonderful, fun filled and sophisticated restaurants in Valletta in which to enjoy dinner.

Beware also of the 'Wine flowing' buffet. We are not big wine enthusiasts, quite honestly we can take it or leave it. Our waiter asked if we would like white of red? On this occasion thinking this was part of the diner, whereas beverages are usually charged extra. I had a glass of white and my wife a glass of red. I finished mine but my wife drank only half of her's as it was only of passable quality. On leaving the restaurant we were asked to sign the obligatory bill only to find the 'wine flowing' element was charged at 66eur or in our case an approximate cost of £26 per glass. In their favour however I did complain and it charge refunded in full. My point here is that I'm happy to play by the rules but let me know what the rules are before the event, not afterwards.

The gents toilets in the common areas were never particularly clean, in fact the one sited near reception was at times left in quite a disgusting state. The hand driers were out of use for our entire stay and there was never any soap in the dispensers. My wife however considered the ladies to be clean and fresh whenever she used the facilities.

Stepping out of the lift at level -1, to access the garden and pool, was a depressing, dark and musky area with thread bare carpet and antiquated decor. Not at all inviting or in keeping with its privileged rating.

Our room was one that was yet to be refurbished so left much to be desired. The decor was tired, the air conditioning was pretty useless, in fact out of seven nights, five were uncomfortably warm making it impossible to sleep.

The bathroom was bereft of an xpelair system, which I'm not sure even conforms to basic health and safety regulations. I may be wrong and apologies to the management if I am. The shower curtain, yes you heard correctly, the shower curtain mummified us on every occasion we used it. Also, in order to avoid flooding the bathroom floor the shower head had to be angled toward the wall, physical contortion is then called for if you wish to get wet. So if you like the thought of luxuriating under a shower after a hard days sunbathing, I would suggest choosing another hotel or wait until they have finished the refurbishment program.

Just touching on the pool again. I't ain't big. Much more could have been made of it. The terrace is huge in proportion to the pool. I am guessing that this may reflect on the average age of the guests and that swimming therefore could be pretty low on their list of necessities.

This leads me onto my more contentious remark. The guests. Not all of course but the term 'British Colonials' springs to mind. I would suggest that the percentage of returning guests is high and the average age of those who return is also high. My suggestion to the management of the Hotel Phoenicia therefore is, you will need to project your product to a new audience sooner rather than later, preferably before your repeat customer base departs this world.

Room Tip: Go for a refurbished one ie second floor and above. If you can afford the extra select a room with a...
4  Thank Timbertops52
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was our second time at Hotel Phoenicia, having stayed three years ago, and it was just as good. The location is second to none, and the staff are an absolute delight - so helpful and friendly. We stayed on the first floor, which is where the less expensive rooms are situated, and the decor *is* getting tired - the beautiful local lace curtains for instance are now rather frayed and torn looking (more than 3 years ago) - so it really is time that all the rooms were refurbished. The breakfasts, as others say, are great, and the food (and service) in Pegassus restaurant in the evenings is delightful. A big thank you to Jean-Paul for cooking wonderful crepe suzette for us: a real treat! We were staying on half-board terms for a week, and we felt we got good value. The cocktails - particularly the hotel's signature ones - were tremendous, and are well-worth trying. The views over part of the harbour and Valetta from the pool area are breathtaking, and it is surprisingly quiet by the pool - there's no hassle to get a really comfy, prime-positioned lounger. We will definitely go back again for a third visit.

Room Tip: We will pay the extra money to get a room with a balcony overlooking the beautiful garden next time.
1  Thank PatrickNewtown
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear PartickNewtown,

It’s great to know that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel and we really appreciate the recommendations. We look forward to having you stay with us on your next trip.

Best Regards

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our first holiday in Malta and we couldn't have found a better place to stay! All the staff were professional, friendly, and extremely helpful. The hotel is in a fantastic location - 5 minutes from the city gate and bus station where you can pick up buses to all over the island. Valletta is a beautiful city with lots to explore and see. We were celebrating a special anniversary and the hotel provided a bottle of wine upon our arrival, and we had a room with a balcony overlooking the harbour which we had requested when booking, which for us made our holiday. Thank you all at Phoenicia and we hope to return soon.

Dear BopMart,

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Phoenicia. Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Phoenicia next time you are in Malta.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just spent 7 nights in this charming hotel, reminiscent of a more graceful age. The service was excellent, the room immaculate, comfortable and quiet - not usually the case for singletons - and the hotel was very well placed for both exploring Valletta and taking an out of town bus. A very relaxing week.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view with balcony
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Susanne B

Dear Susanne B,

It is lovely to read your positive comments and that you had such a good time when you were staying with us. I am pleased that you had a great stay with us and hope it will not be long before you come and stay again.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Hotel of high standard with high level of service. Location very near the entrance gate to the Valletta city makes it a convenient base for sightseeing in the capital. Comfortable rooms, large gardens, pleasant quiet pool with a seaview. Tasty breakfast on the balcony overlooking gardens or indoors if you wish. We are highly satisfied.

Room Tip: Room 311 is very comfortable with bedroom, living room, 3 windows with sea- and gardenview
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Superkatt,

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review, I am very grateful that you took the time to share your experience with others. . It was a wonderful pleasure to have you with us and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was our third visit to the Phoenicia and once again we had a lovely holiday.The management of this hotel is first rate .There are plenty of well trained staff who know what their jobs are when it comes to looking after guests.
Our room had a wonderful view, air conditioning, fridge, bathrobes, slippers, hairdryer, kettle , arm chairs, safe and plenty of storage space.
Drinks and meals are served outside on a charming terrace during fine weather. A buffet breakfast with egg dishes cooked to order is available and half board provided us with a selection of meals ranging from Maltese to Italian. There was live entertainment every evening.
The pool is large and at a comfortable temperature .Towels are provided for guests with lunch and drinks available all day at the pool bar.
Close to the city gates and an excellent bus service to all parts of the island this hotel is ideally situated for those who want more than a beach holiday.
Free wifi and a business centre are available in the Palm Court .

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor are quiet, have air conditioning a good views.

Dear Janet C,

I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your time at the Hotel Phoenicia, that you liked the hotel and that you were happy with your room. I am especially pleased that you found our breakfast and restaurant menus up to your expectations.
It is always pleasing to receive such kind comments about our staff. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments are passed on to the team and that their service is duly rewarded.
I hope that we do have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel Phoenicia again next year.

Best Regards

Helena

Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#2 of 15 in Valletta
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to The Phoenicia Malta? Share your experiences!