“Perhaps tops for food, but not for atmosphere”
Review of Palazzo Preca

Palazzo Preca
Ranked #20 of 259 Restaurants in Valletta
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Palazzo Preca Restaurant is serving a variety of Mediterranean and Maltese cuisine such as pasta "mostly recomended with seafood", colourful salads, juicy Irish steaks, traditional cooked rabbit, beef olives ,snails in garlic and what we are known for, the fish and shellfish which comes fresh every day.We are open every day for lunch and dinner, accept Sunday evening and Monday closed all day.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

At the time of our visit, Tripadvisor rated Palazzo Preca as the top restaurant in Valletta. It is certainly in the top tier for food quality. My veal steak in a snail sauce was one of the best meals I have eaten anywhere. My wife had the Gozo Cheese starter and the Mixed Fish plate. Hers was also top tier. The wine list was full of old favorites and many local wines. Prices were just a little above normal for this class of restaurant, but not outrageous, as another reviewer claimed. Other reviewers criticized the rushed service and the feeling that you were on a tourist conveyor belt. That criticism may be a bit harsh, but the feeling is accurate. Tables are packed together; service is polite, but not especially friendly; there is little time wasted, and you are ready to go. You are there for the food. Atmosphere is consumed quickly. These last criticisms keep me from calling Palazzo Preca the top restaurant, but I still recommend it.

2  Thank DonPaulo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,772)

Reviewed February 17, 2013

For the service I have to give a terrible and for the food an average, making it a poor restaurant in my opinion.
We decided to try this place out because it had good reviews, but were very dissapointed. Me and my partner went to this restaurant to celebrate my birthday. We had a reservation on a Friday evening, which is maybe why the service was so poor. It's a busy evening. However, a truely great restaurant can cope with busy evenings as well.
Let me describe how our evening was and what made me come to this bad review. We were seated in what in my opinion should be the reception area. Right behind me was some kind of closet where they kept spare chairs etc. Which were needed sometimes, very disturbing. For some reason I had the idea me and my partner were not very welcome in this place. Our table didn't even have a candle on it.
The staff is running around unorganized, sometimes you have 3 waiters in one minute at your table, the other moment none could be found.
When coming in we weren't shown to our table, we were more pointed to it.
None of the waiters found it neccessary to tell us the specials, nor did any bother to show us the fresh fish (which they are so proud of). We had to stick to the menu therefore. The menu looked good. I started of with the snails and my partner with the pasta with salmon. When waiting for our starters another table was shown the fresh fish. I noticed that one of the fish was close of falling of the display. At least 10 times a waiter passed the fish, touched it with his/her body but apparently didn't bother to put it back into it's place. And the inevitable happened, the fish fell on the floor eventually. The girl working there probably didn't like to touch the fish, she left it on the floor greeting some new clients.
The daughther of one of the employees was in the restaurant, sitting at the desk with her jacket on and constantly on the phone, in the sight of the guests of the restaurant. That's the biggest problem with this restaurant I think, they don't see what is wrong with the attitude of the workers. They take great pride in scoring high on Tripadvisor (They even claim to be the best restaurant on Tripadvisor (written on the sign outsdide the place!, which is not true (they are 4th or something)).
Anyway, back to the food. The snails arrived in a cute little pan. The waiter pointed at the toothpicks and said that that's where the toothpicks were. Putting it friendly didn't come up in his mind. My partner got her pasta as well, if we would be waiting for the waiter to come with some pepper and cheese we would still be sitting there. And it's not that they never give pepper or cheese, like I said, it felt we were not important enough to be served. Truth must be said, the snails tasted good, the pasta was ok (we could have made it ourself, so not that great). For the main course my partner went for the fishfood platter and I took the angus steak with mushroom. The steak was rare and medium rare, some parts were good, some weren't. For sure not the best I ever had. And I had in total 4 mushrooms! The dish my partner got looked great. The taste was dissapointing though! The mussels were superdry and the rest was soaking in oil and tasteless.
No-one bothered to asked if everything was ok. One of the chefs came out of the kitchen to help the waiting staff, which is ok, but there is nothing wrong with being friendly and smile a bit.
Best thing of the evening was the wine... and well, we can buy that anywhere.
It's really a shame, Malta has so many nice restaurants, there is a lot of potential, the location is great, interior is great, but it became a dissapointing evening.

1  Thank DeVriesNetherlands
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I fully recommend this restaurant as it serves delicious food in a lovely environment. The service is excellent and the staff is very friendly. Ramona is very welcoming and approachable. We really liked their rib eye which was served with potatoes and vegetables. The deserts are divine!! This restaurant also caters for tourists since it serves exquisite Maltese dishes.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Everything was superb! Service was great... restaurant was packed and still we were served to high standards! Management was very warm and makes you feel welcome :) Food was excellent!!! My fish soup and his mushrooms were the best we ever had and his octopus was great... my seafood platter was out of this world! I loved every bite! I will have to return sometime soon :) Thanks for an unforgettable meal... 5 stars!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Excellent Food, good service and ambiance.
The only thing that I did not like is that in the room where we dined tables are very close to each other.