“The perfect place to eat on Malta”
Review of The Pegasus - CLOSED

The Pegasus
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Pegasus at the Phoenicia Hotel Malta provides a relaxed atmosphere along with friendly, attentive staff who anticipates your every need. This is the perfect cocktail to ensure the best ending to the day. Open for dinner daily (seasonal closures may apply), our Executive chef Saul Halevi create everything in-house using primarily local produce for an innovative, modern cuisine together with daily fresh fish. Complimenting the menu is the distinctive wine list compiled by our in-house sommelier together with the Pegasus Restaurant's Maitre d'hotel Jean Paul. A private entrance to the restaurant from the main road assures privacy to the most discerning diners.
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Having eaten in various restaurants round Europe, I have never found better fillet steak anywhere – and the desserts are unparalleled. But that is only part of the story.

The Pegasus Bistro is part of the Phoenicia Hotel at the very gates of Valletta and offers a dining experience that reflects the very high quality of the hotel itself as well as the larger Phoenix Restaurant, which provides a broader range of meals in a more relaxed atmosphere. It is difficult to find sufficient superlatives to describe a fortnight spend at this venue, so I will not even try.

We will certainly be visiting again.

1  Thank Stephen P

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Situated within the Phoenicia hotel. Fantastic service, wonderful food, excellent wine choices. The rabbit dish was out of this world as was the crepe suzette flamed at your table by the John the maitre d'. John was delightful and gave us excellent advice not just about what to eat but about places to see in valletta.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Pegasus is inside the Phoenicia Hotel so possibly not easy to spot unless you are a resident. We dined here two of our four nights in Valletta and did not find anywhere better.

Intrigued by the delicious inky black bread which tasted like very good, light white bread and if we understood correctly was coloured with squid ink.

Amuse bouche was a tiny cup of good soup. Starter of tiny cubes of raw kobe beef with caramelised strawberries and balsamic vinegar was to die for; it was caramelised under a blow-torch at the table and the maitre d' said he would just sear the beef a little - we asked him please not to, as we really love it raw and it was just gorgeous left the way it was.

We followed up with rabbit on our first night - a big portion, very tender with a rich tomato sauce and excellent vegetables. We asked for a local red wine recommendation and were very happy with a bottle of Antonin.

On the second night I had fried calamari and seafood which was also very good; my husband had turbot which admittedly he was slightly disappointed with. He's fussy about fish and I think it's difficult to get it exactly right. But crepes suzette to follow (again cooked a the table) were excellent.

1  Thank Trisha K
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Waited 15 minutes for a menu. Ordered after 20 minutes. They brought me an "amuse bouche" which wasn't especially amusing (an espresso sized cup of oily fish soup). Had to ask for my wine forty minutes after arriving which they had forgotten. Food arrived fifty minutes after ordering. They put it in front of me (fish to be boned) and walked away. The fish (bream) was beautifully cooked - moist and succulent. However, it had a lot of bones in it and my waiter, without asking, smothered it in black pepper which detracted from the delicate flavor of the fish. Crunchy (undercooked) carrot. Disappointed after all the good reviews - I have five nights in this hotel so wanted the restaurant to be good.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My girlfriend had the "Seared black Angus beef fillet with a red wine reduction" and I had the "Seared Kobe beef" all served with vegetables, potatoes and extra fries. The food was, without any doubt in mind, impeccable! It was a divine gastronomic experience: the beef was so good that it just melted in our mouths (the beef was medium cooked).
From the other reviews, it seems like portions were an issue for some of the dishes. However as far as our choice was concerned I can honestly say we were stuffed with no room for dessert! (I would like to add that I am a big eater).
The service was great. The waiters were well versed with all items on the menu and were very helpful - they went out of their way to ensure a wonderful experience!
The only drawback is that is is on the pricey side.
This is a perfect place for a romantic night with your significant other. I will definitely come again in the future.
Thank you!