“Chinese food in Valletta”
Review of Blue Room

Blue Room
Ranked #120 of 250 Restaurants in Valletta
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Something a little different in Valletta. I liked the food and the atmosphere, but found the service a little off.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I dropped by the Blue Room after a walk around Valletta as we had a chinese craving. The Blue Room had caught my attention as the decoration is very nice compared to the average chinese restaurant (no cheesy red lanterns, hanging waterfall paintings, or the likes). The owner was a very nice middle aged chinese woman, who even helped us distracting out daughter when she became a little tired. Service was impeccable.

Now, down to business. We ordered three starters to share: Duck spring rolls, satay chicken skewers, and steamed vegetable dumplings. The satay skewers were delicious. I've tried more than my fair share of these and I loved them. The rolls were very nice, they had a very tasty shreded duck filling. The dumplings, on the other hand, which I believe were the most expensive of the three starters at about 12€, had a strong floury taste and probably would have been better had they been steamed a little longer.

The mains were also quite good. My wife ordered steamed sea bream with ginger and soy, which although didn´t feel super fresh did taste good. And I got a king prawn stir fry which was very good and not too heavy on the oil which is a common problem in chinese restaurants.

We rounded the meal up with jazmin and green teas, very nicely presented. And asked for the bill which amounted to just over 85€. If I was back in London, Sydney, or Barcelona this would have been ok. But in Malta 85€ (without having drank wine) is a hell of a bill to pay at any restaurant. You can get a kilo of the freshest king prawns you´ll ever set your eyes on for 11-12€ over here.

If you feel like having some asian food and don´t care much about the price go. We enjoyed our food and the service. But if you are the price conscious type you´ll be severely disappointed, as honestly I don´t think it´s good value for money.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

After so so starters we had an in edible lemon chicken. Complaints were greeted with ' the chef says it is perfectly OK. How the chef could make this determination since the offending dish never moved from our table I cannot say. Attempts to have the virtually untouched dish removed from our bill were greeted with indifference. Nor is it cheap. If this is really ' the best Chinese restaurant on the island ' as one food guide book says then Chinese food is to be avoided in Malta

1  Thank Mar D
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Lovely restaurant, we had a delicious meal. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the food superb. We would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

First, be aware that if your bill is under 35 euros average, you will be charged a two euro surcharge. It's written at the bottom of the sign and is easy to miss.

While it's easy to get that 35 euro charge if you order an appetizer, main dish, and wine, you'll largely have wasted your money. For example, they charge 2.5 euros for a cup of tea, while other restaurants charge 1 or 1.5. The food is basic and some dishes are badly over-spiced, so much so that you won't be able to taste anything else in your meal, even if you have wine and eat a lot of rice to clean your palate.

Do not let them seat you near the door, as you will be subjected to a constant funneled wind when anybody comes in, made worse by the fact that the door doesn't shut properly. I saw them sit a single woman traveler there, even though there were other tables open, and she was up and down all evening closing the door, even with the hostess looking on.

1  Thank amfeeney