All reviews boutique hotel perfect location sweet pancakes john street brown toiletries both dinner and breakfast night stay peaceful stay capital city valletta espresso machine breakfast was amazing a true gem great hotel lovely boutique yogurt st john's co cathedral restaurants and shops
Selected filters
Reviewed April 12, 2019

My girlfriend and I (fianceé, after this trip, woohoo!) used this hotel as a base for exploring Malta. It's in an absolutely amazing location - town centre, 20 metres from st john's cathedral, right in the middle of town.

The service was amazing, everyone was soooo helpful. The day I proposed, I asked them to set up a special dinner for just the two of us, up on the terrace (on 30th December... yeah, freezing :D) They set up a table and a waiter stayed just for the two of us with no hesitation, they brought a cake with candles, decorated the terrace in a beautiful way just for us... a magical evening.

The rooms are good, quite spacious (for Valetta!) modern and well fitted out. A couple of minor quibbles - our room didn't have a window to the outside, just a narrow pane to the central stair/open area. Also a shower towel, once, was quite dirty - we just tossed it on the floor and shared. I stress that these are very minor and I'd absolutely stay here again, and the window thing was surprisingly not at all an issue as the room was so nice and big. Bathroom is great, we loved the shower. The espresso machine in the room is also a nice touch.

Breakfast is amazing. Service is slightly slow, which I'll chalk down to us coming in off season and them having fewer waiters on staff. Huge variety, very high quality breakfast and a large selection. The fruit in particular was lovely. Breakfast was (one of) the high points of the day. If we came back to Malta we'd definitely stay there again.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2019 via mobile

The Cumberland in Valletta was lovely, cozy and welcoming. Each staff member we spoke with was polite, helpful and gracious. My regret is not making note of each name. Davor and Goran were especially delightful. The property was wonderfully centrally located, clean, quiet and had a fantastic and plentiful breakfast. We also had a dinner at their restaurant which was pleasing to the eyes and palate. Their rooftop terrace was amazing with great views of the city. What a keeper!

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2019 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at The Cumberland for 2 of 6 nights on Malta. The room was large, well laid out, immaculate, and provided many thoughtful amenities - fluffy towels, Milton Brown toiletries, mini bar, and coffee/tea accoutrements. Bedding was very comfortable and room had decent sound proofing.

Hotel was well designed, nice lines, very well located on a quiet street 2 minutes out of all the action. It’s a solid 4 star. I knocked off a star for tortuously long waits for an only-ok breakfast - they need to add a waiter to speed things along. Also, reception staff seemed somewhat distracted and indifferent - friendly, but not solicitous.

Date of stay: April 2019
Reviewed March 26, 2019

We enjoyed our stay very much. The staff was very willing and helpfull. Mr. Davor Bebe at the receptiin especially. The management could be a little more generous in reimbursing us for the breakfast we didn't have.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed March 15, 2019

20 minutes by taxi from the airport.
good location, clean room, housekeeping doing their job very well.

Speedy check in and check out, hassle free.

Breakfast was amazing and so was the restaurant for dinner. Best service for the waiting team, great job guys.

Date of stay: January 2019