“Quirky” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ambrosia
Ranked #52 of 227 Restaurants in Valletta
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Quirky”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

You can almost be assured you're in for a good meal when you walk in and the chef himself is writing out the specials on the board . In fact don't bother picking up the menu, my husband tried to order something that wasn't on the board and the waitress (the chef's wife?) gave just the slightest shake of the head, so we ordered asparagus (instead of salad) and were delighted with hearty tender spears, poached al dente, with a warm light lemony
sauce. I had a pasta, Hubby had lamb (which thanks to some excellent Maltese wine, the details elude me) wonderful. When we arrived, we cringed because we were the only ones there, by the time we left, every table was seated and the restaurant was filled with a surprising number of Maltese voices which leads me to suspect this is a local favorite.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank NancyW260

• Czech first
London
“Good food let down by grumpy staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Showing tourists to a table sandwiched between the kitchen, the hat-stand and the bathroom when there are better tables available is not a recipe for success, which is a shame as the recipes in use in said kitchen are clearly well thought out and well executed by the chef. The front of house staff though leave a lot to be desired. The male waiter spent the evening looking annoyed, grumpy and was at times downright rude. Everyone is entitled to a bad day at work, but judging from what some others have commented, there is a theme here that the owners need to address.

We weren't offered a wine list, when we finally did get one, and ordered, the first course had practically come and gone before we were told that the chosen wine wasn't available. No suggestions as to what might be similar or a suitable alternative, just a wine list dropped back on the table.

All that said, the food was pretty good - and in places really very good indeed. The goat cheese souffle was scrumptious and the home made cheesecake was one of the best I've had. My rabbit main was OK but a far cry from the best I've had and the accompanying vegetables were very overdone, rather in the style of a 1970's restaurant if you know what I mean.

Price wise, ouch. I think the prices outrun the quality of what's on offer here and I wouldn't be rushing back given some of the alternatives in the area.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Valletta, Malta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An Excellent Resturant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Very good meal it was cooked very well and we didn't wait too long for food , Ambrosia Resturant members had all well comed me and my family. It is a very good resturant and you will surely see us again. Thanks for everything

1 Thank Redeemer B
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Beautiful food, cosy romantic environment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

We ate at Ambrosia whilst on a romantic break to Malta. We reserved a table in advance because although it is the 'low' season, this is a popular restaurant. There is no menu. All the daily choices are on a chalk board. Everything was in season and prepared fresh.

I chose the creamy, rich, delicious goat's cheese souffle (€9.50), whilst my husband started with the generous veggie soup (€7.50). We shared a basket of fresh breads for which we paid a cover charge of €3.50.

For our main courses, we both had veal. I had a simple veal milanese (€20.00), my husband chose the veal dolce latte (€23.00). Both were wonderfully tender and flavoursome, served with seasonal vegetables.

Of course, we couldn't resist the dessert menu. A creme brulee for me, a chocolate fudge pudding for him (both at €6.00)

We had a glass of wine (€6.00), a soft drink (€1.65) and a bottle of Perrier (€3.50), bringing the total bill to €86.65. Pricey, but well worth it.

1 Thank Shackleford_LB
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely home cooked style food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Not difficult to see why this is one of the most highly rated restaurants in Valletta. We had a lovely lunch here in this atmospheric restaurant.

• Visited January 2013