“Great evening. Nice atmosphere”
Review of Ambrosia

Ambrosia
Ranked #53 of 230 Restaurants in Valletta
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
North of London
“Great evening. Nice atmosphere”
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I didn't pick up the bill but would have been happy to do so as the entire experience on all levels was first class

• Czech first
  • Turkish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Loved Every Moment..”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I've now made several trips to Malta in the last year and very rarely would I consider going back to the same restaurant. With so many options, I always like to experience something new. However, for my next trip to Malta, without a doubt I will be visiting Ambrosia again.

We parked about a half mile away and the journey to the restaurant is tremendously pleasant. So, I strongly suggest walking around before of after your meal, taking in some of the amazing architecture you're surrounded by. We had a reservation and that is strongly suggested, due to the very small size of the dining room and the popularity the restaurant is enjoying.

Overall I would say that there are 10-12 tables and it was jam packed when we got there, however a table reserved and waiting for us. First off, there are no menus.. Simply look tow the giant chalkboard that fills one wall and you will find the days menu. A selection of four to five appetizers and about six to eight main meals. From what I am told, it changes almost daily based on what the chef is able to buy locally at its freshest. The wine list is extensive and the staff is large enough where each table received very personalized and impeccable service.

I started with a prawn and risotto dish as my appetizer, about 12 EUR. It was amazing. Just the perfect balance of flavors and texture. From there I ordered a piece of beef, which came served on a wooden block and was cooled to perfection. Side dishes of vegetables and potatoes appeared at the table for our party.

I opted to skip desert and go with a vintage port whereas my friends all indulged.

For a party of three it was about $150 USD. So, not a cheap meal, but not overly expensive when you factor in a bottle of wine, cocktails before dinner and then after dinner drinks.

From the type of clientele, it seems very popular with the more affluent and younger crowd. Lots of very well dressed professionals enjoying the great food and wine in a very romantic setting.

I will be back in Malta in the coming weeks and without a doubt will be stopping at Ambrosia again.

It's the quintessential combination of sophistication, great food and exceptional service.

• Visited November 2012
Ashby
“Superb food and cosy, definitely visit!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Restaurant recommended by Maltese couple we know. Menu not large but there's enough choice - I had the veal which was amazing, and I've never raved about veg before but it was superb!
We went here for our wedding anniversary meal and I'm so glad we did. Hubby had belly of pork and loved it too - we like good quality food and Ambrosia is a place hard to beat.

Definitely the best meal we had during our 2 weeks in Malta.

Chester, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Meal”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

During our recent holiday we visited Ambrosia on three occasions - all of which were fantastic.
Chris, Jayne, Joseph and the team offer a wonderful experience with superb menu and excellent choice of wines in a relaxed atmosphere. Lots of local regular diners which in my experience says they are doing it right. Keep up the good work and we will see you next year!

London, United Kingdom
“Go there”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were recommended to eat here by our Maltese cousin and his wife. It's small, tables are crammed in (my view was of the fridge and the kitchen, not great) but the food is good. Portions are large (I had two starters and good thing too, I would have struggled to eat a main course) so go easy on lunch if having dinner here. Wine list extensive and interesting. The chef/owner is very hospitable, his maitre d' less so but maybe he was having a bad day. Check out the paintings on the wall by George Large (British artist) - absolutely cracking. Make sure you book, it was full and they were turning people away.

1 Thank Izzy180046