“Superb” 5 of 5 bubbles

Il-Horza
Ranked #52 of 226 Restaurants in Valletta
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

What can I say? We booked at last minute and asked if there was a veggie option. Told no problem, so off we went.
On entry, there are two floors for dinners, one on ground floor and one below. There are c.7 tables- 3 upstairs, 4 downstairs. We were on the ground floor which is delightful- barrelled ceilings and airy but quaint. The atmosphere is calm and relaxed and private.
The menu changes daily to accommodate best seasonal, best food- so no, it is not listed on the website, to allow for this food- a happy inconvenience as it turns out. The menu was on one page, but no veggie option. Never fear, the chef is fantastic.
I had an incredible butternut squash/ frittata/salad with crispy additions and husband had the salmon for starters. For the main course, the chef made truffle risotto. I say that but have never had so much black truffle on a plate in my life. A small dish, but deceptive as very filling. It turns out the Maltese will block book if they know the truffle is on the menu- and no wonder! Incredible. My husband's bream was beautifully presented and he loved it.
We shared the chocolate dessert, which comprised of pure dark chocolate paste ( cannot tell you the technical term) with a sinful chocolate cake with chocolate and rosemary chocolate ice cream. Pure genius on a plate. We were also provided a dry rose wine, on request, which was not on the menu. I wish we had a restaurant like this in London, but if we did, it would be impossible to get a booking.
The lady who served us was brilliant, a sommelier in her own right, the owner popped by as we left, a happy man, and the shy, young, chef who should be neither shy (nor young) to put together a meal like this! Definitely put this restaurant on your list if visiting Malta.

• Visited August 2014

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“Passion for food by Charles and his team”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

Being Maltese but living in the UK, I love to see how the culinary offering on the island is improving whenever we visit. Il-Horza, owned by Charles Bone, is a fantastic example of an owner who takes great pride in where he sources his ingredients, the team that puts it all together and the execution of the dishes is remarkable. Based in a traditional house of character with only 26 covers, the service is intimate without being intrusive and the choice is focused, making for a quality offer. The wine list is a great addition to the dishes. From his Gragnano sourced durum wheat pasta to the micro herbs that ooze freshness, the dishes are quality all round. Will definitely be back.

Island of Malta, Malta
“Good, but over priced...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

Had a dinner on a Friday evening last month, we were 4 of us.... Asked for a Campari as a pre drink meal and he was surprised, like he wanted to say we are a luxury restaurant here and dont serve Campari... ok... we asked for Port... the waitress came back to us saying we dont have Port.... so the boss (looked like he was so) came to us and offered a Madiera.... we said yes... it was a nice one.
Food >>> A very limited food selection, but i dont mind this. The starter which was a Maracoon Sausage was nice, other starters were Salmon & Feta were which were less nice... too salty they said, though i cant coment on this since i had not this plate. Main Course... It was a Ribeye for me, beef jus was brillant, meat good but not really to my likings since it was cooked by Sous Vide technique. Bread was very good, fresh pre baked... we asked fur butter and we had a reply that we dont serve butter here.... i was surprised or better shocked! Though after a minute or so he said that he can bring us butter from the kitchen. We had 1 bottle of wine which was Chianti, 1 bottle of fizzy water (not Perrier) and 4 desserts which were Pannacotta, very nice.
So 4 pre meal drinks, 4 starters, 4 main courses, 1 bottle of wone, 1 bottle of fwater and 4 desserts costed 250Eur.
As i said a good overall eating experince but not a really a value for money resturant, just worth a try!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, England, United Kingdom
“Our Best Meal in Valletta”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Interesting to see mixed reviews on this one, as I felt it was easily our best meal in Valletta. However it was not the most organised restaurant; like many places in Valletta, opening hours can be somewhat inaccurate. Even though we had booked for 7:30 PM Friday we arrived on time (having found it using a different map to the inaccurate one on this site) to find the restaurant closed. No real surprise so walked round the block and came back about ten minutes later to find that it was still shut. Waited a couple of minutes and were then let in. Slightly surprised that no one else was there because we had been unable to book 2 nights previously as it had been full.

This restaurant is not one for 'views'; just a little house on a side street by the Lower Barakka Gardens. Nice cool restaurant with tables on 2 floors. We chose a table upstairs away from the kitchen and in sight of the extensive collection of wine bottles. I was hot and tried to choose a beer, but instead of the usual bland but inoffensive Cisk lager they had a wine-sized bottle of very yeasty artisan Calabrian beer. The waitress gently informed us that this was not a place where you would find cheap beer, and indeed the beer was excellent (even my wife had some!) The menu was short; four starters, four mains, four deserts. the food was outstanding; I had spicy North African style lamb sausage followed by a veal cutlet. My wife had a salmon souffle followed by Sea-bass. Tasted lovely, with both the veal and fish expertly cooked.

The enormous, predominantly Italian, wine list had a large number of bottles between €20-€25 as well as a couple of expensive bottles over €120. I was a confused wimp and chose a nice bottle of Sancerre at €30. Unfortunately I did this before the extraordinary Charles Bone arrived. An almost perfect host, we saw him in action on other tables giving excellent advice on possible wines.

We then had desserts and coffee together with a glass of Madeira and a couple of complimentary hazelnut liqueurs. I was privileged to shake hands with Charles before leaving after a lovely evening. Looks like this isn't everybody's tastes; personally I love food rather than stunning views and I adored the quaint (albeit slightly haphazard) atmosphere. The cooking was of a quality higher than I discovered elsewhere (even the excellent Guze) and I was charmed by the determination to make sure that this was a good restaurant. Even if I couldn't get a cheap beer.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Valletta, Malta
“Great if you fancy a colourful meal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

Visited on the strength of Tripadvisor reviews but could not fathom what the hype was about. We dined in zero atmosphere in the cellar with no fellow diners but with staff going in and out of the kitchen. That's my fault - I chose the table. But food was mediocre to the point that both my starter and main course were liberally splashed in the same sauces, a pastel orange (carrot?) and green (pea?) concoction which overpowered the flavour of the main ingredient. My dining companion's main was an incredibly fatty cut of beef which remained in the plate almost untouched by the time we left. I could not find value in the fine dining prices paid here. Was it a bad day for this restaurant? Others seemed to like it.

Visited June 2014