“Culinary Art in practice”
Review of Il-Horza

Il-Horza
Ranked #35 of 271 Restaurants in Valletta
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I guess for someone like me who's only constant is change, it is very difficult to return to a restaurant especially when there is so much choice around. But in some cases I do make an exception and not only return but become a regular visitor. Il-Horza is such a place as whenever we (that's me and my better half) visit we always feel as if we are at home. Charles Bone, the owner, who is more Italian than the Italians (and with such a strong Anglo/Saxon surname too), always manages to excel himself. Why? It is quite evident that he spends his time with Carlos, the young chef who not long ago was honing his skills at ITS (Malta's own Institute of Tourism Studies) to come up with the most tantalizing dishes one would die for. And yesterday was no exception. There was no need to look at the menu as the specials of the day were more than tempting. My wife wanted to venture into the fish offerings whilst I opted for the different. In fact our starters were a tick fish soup full of sea-food and a delicious plate of ravioli which were given a different twist by the adding on of pine nuts. The mains were tuna for my wife which was cooked to pink perfection (not a drop of blood in sight) whilst mine was a trio of quail complete with egg, delicately wrapped in pancetta. To accompany our dishes we compromised on a nice red wine - a Primitivo of Manduria ably chosen by its own importer, Rene' Muscat of "Vintage & co" who happened to be around visiting Charles as I understand he has plans of his own in the restaurant scene as he set his eyes on a wine bar which he intends to take over shortly. Our pleas to Charles to skip deserts proved futile as we couldn't say no to a piece of sliced salami sausage to round off the wine and two generous Ruby ports. Simply divine. We'll be back soon :)

Reviewed June 28, 2013

An enjoyable experience of great food and wine, Great hospitality very friendly Staff and great Host Charlie. Had a few good laughs. Thoroughly enjoyed a very good end to the day. The Chef Carlos is Tops!!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Been to Horza twice and the menu changes every time . Charles and Carlos have a very good knowledge of food and wine together they manages to bring out the best of every ingredient and the result is a unique experience which is rather difficult to find in Malta.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We read about this little restaurant in Australia so put it on our list when visiting Valletta. We were not disappointed. It was a hot night and when we arrived the restaurant was cool and welcoming. Charles , the owner was friendly and so knowledgable about wines. We tried a welcoming drink and ordered from the small but interesting menu. I started with the fresh tuna with a tuna sausage -made in house. We followed this with the pigs cheeks with a house made smoked pork sausage and for me trout with the most gorgeous bergamot hollandaise sauce. We finished with selections of cheese and house made pear chutney. Charles and chef Carlos took time to talk to us about the dishes and were more than helpful. We finished the night with a complimentary Grappa and Limoncello. A wonderful dining experience. So glad we went there. Put it on your list. Easy to find if you follow the signs.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

been to Il- Horza Restaurant over the weekend. was my birthday so we wanted something special/different; it truly is both! The menu changes very often and the dishes are always made up of fresh exciting ingredients combined together to offer something you don't usually find at a restaurant! The Chef, Carlos, is very passionate and offers the diners a dining experience, rather than a dinner. The owner/manager, Charles, is on the other hand very passionate about wine, and hence makes the meal truly unique. Highly recommended for people with love towards food, looking for something different... I guess every foodie should seriously try it out! Thank you for a memorable experience! :)