“One of the best restaurants on the island”
Review of Rubino

Rubino
Ranked #7 of 235 Restaurants in Valletta
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Sliema, Malta
“One of the best restaurants on the island”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Rubino is one of my favorite restaurants in Valletta. The restaurant is nothing special to look at from the street, but inside you will find a true family-run restaurant that specialises in excellent Italian & Maltese food. The service is very friendly and knowledgeable, but never overbearing and the wine list extensive. Very highly recommended

• Visited December 2012

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Have to rave about this place as well..”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We went thanks to the reviews on this site and we were not disappointed! We chose a mezze starter which was very copious to the point that you could not possibly finish it, but gave you an opportunity to try out a little of everything offered. I had rabbit for mains and knew I was in the right place when the owner told me to dig in using my fingers because that is the best way to enjoy rabbit and went and got me a finger bowl. It was indeed lovely. My friend had fish which was also beautifully cooked. Even though very full we felt we could not possibly miss out on desserts. We took their advice on what to choose and again were not disappointed. We both felt the meal was very good value for money and certainly deserved to be praised....

• Visited October 2012
Swansea, Wales
“Young Masterchef!”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Wonderful experience. Family run restaurant. No written menu because the young Masterchef prepares his dishes from fresh produce of the day. Especially loved the lightly fried Maltese goat's cheese with the unique chilli sauce! Mains were delicious too! Highly recommended! Reservations required!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank an_indian_in_wales
Veszprem, Hungary
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“amazing atmosphere”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

the restaurant has an amazing atmosphere (since it's family-run), the food is simply delicious: they offer you different maltese/italian dishes. when in valletta, it's definitely worth a visit :)

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Lili R
Qormi, Malta
“Underwhelming Dining Experience”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Went to Rubino after hearing a lot of good things about it, looking forward to a pleasant experience with some excellent food. I must say I was disappointed, not because it was particularly bad, but for those prices and hype I expected more.

My first issue is with the lack of menu. I personally love eating daily specialties or anything the chef recommends on the night. However, when these are written on a chalkboard across the room and the waiter simply instructs us to read them is a bit annoying. Especially when some of the diners in our party completely had their backs to it.

Secondly, our seating was rather crammed. I don't like it when they pull the table out, sit you down then slide it back in. If I need to get up I have to get everyone else up to shift the furniture.

Antipasto misto was a selection of pickled pumpkin, anchovies, olives etc, they were ok but nothing special.

This theme carried on with the main courses where I had a ribeye-steak, it was a decent cut and cooked as I ordered it (medium-rare), with some local 'rucola', a lemon wedge and typical side dishes of potatoes and veg which were shared around the table. The steak I felt was quite under-seasoned, thank god for the good-old salt and pepper shakers.

My girlfriend had a fillet of local pork with thyme and honey, the overall flavor was good and nicely balanced, however the fillet had been beaten into a thin sheet of cardboard, eliminating any pleasant texture from the meat.

For desert we had a chocolate mousse and a vanilla pannacotta. we literally got exactly what we ordered, and not that there's anything wrong with that, but at these kind of places (and prices), I expect more than one dimension to a dish (or at least a garnish). That is to say a blob of pannacotta and a plain cup of mousse are not what I expect.

Service was good, our dessert orders were forgotten for quite a while but our server was genuinely apologetic and I turned a bind eye, everyone makes mistakes.

• Visited November 2012