14 people are viewing this hotel
$106
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
Trip.com
$107
Lol.travel
$92
eDreams$106
Agoda.com$97
travelup.com$124
4,300 results
All reviews church bells temptasian restaurant infinity pool tabloid restaurant five star hotel top floor superior room lovely hotel sauna and steam room mini bar sister hotel sea front st julians short break half board the air conditioning sun loungers
Selected filters
Reviewed April 28, 2019

After a wonderful stay at The Palace Hotel in September 2017 we had no hesitation in booking again for April 2019.
 The hotel proudly announces its 5 star rating on the sign by the entrance and there can be no doubt that many of its features merit such a billing. It’s location, rooftop pool, comfortable rooms, excellent bathroom and dining options are all first class. We found the staff and food in the Talk of the Town restaurant particularly good.
However, where standards have well and truly slipped alarmingly is in the overall quality of service.
 This first came to our notice when we realised the fridge in our room was not functioning correctly. We raised the matter with reception only to be told grumpily that it was “merely a mini bar”. Not quite the response we expected! The fridge was indeed looked at, and the following day was functioning correctly! Surely the receptionist could have simply offered to look into the problem?
 Next followed the issue of the toilet rolls!!
 We returned from a day out to find that housekeeping had cleaned our room but left no toilet rolls or indeed tissues. An irritating oversight perhaps but the debacle that followed was yet more evidence of declining standards and a total disregard for customer care…. We called reception 5, yes 5 times and got no reply. I took the lift down to the lobby only to find 5 receptionists and 3 managers in groups behind the desk.
 Imagine the embarrassment of having to ask for toilet rolls in a 1 star hotel let alone a 5 star  establishment?!
 One of the suited managers gave a cursory apology then had the audacity to ask if I was sure our room phone was working and called the room to check!!! Once again, not the expected response and definitely not 5 star service.
Fortunately said paper supplies were delivered shortly afterwards! Disgusted by the attitude of the manager I left a response on Tripadvisor and when I got to the room the following afternoon bottle of wine had been left as an apology. I sent a thank you email saying this was a nice touch only to be then asked if I would kindly remove the review from Tripadvisor…with even a link which would show me how to remove it!!
 Finally we come to the rooftop pool bar. Nowhere on the hotel website does it state that this is closed during the ‘ Winter’ season.It simply states the winter opening hours and also ‘weather permitting ‘.During our week’s stay, several days were warm and sunny and we chose to spend much of our time by the pool along with many other guests. We raised the issue of the closed pool bar with management who claimed a member of staff had been rostered to provide service at the pool. We were by the pool from 9:30 am to 2:00pm on the Tuesday of our stay  and NO service was in evidence. The same thing happened on the Friday and only when we emailed the hotel manager did someone appear.
These issues were all raised during our stay and management seemed reluctant to accept responsibility and only acted once they felt they had to.
This is not the kind of service you expect at a 5 star hotel and would make us think twice about choosing this establishment again.

1  Thank Ian W
Kevin_Callus, General Manager at AX The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2019

Dear Ian W,

Thank you once again for taking the time to review us. Your feedback is invaluable to our efforts to continually improve in every aspect.

Regarding your comments on our location, rooftop pool, comfortable rooms, excellent bathroom, dining options, staff and food in the Talk of the Town, thank you and I assure you they are well noted by the team.

However, it is very disheartening to learn about issues you had during your stay with us. I sincerely apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion with the kind of exceptional service we are renown for and assure you that I have raised the aforementioned points with my relevant colleagues.

Regarding the toilet rolls I am glad that my team members have been notified and that this small issue has been taken care of in an efficient and effective manner without any due delay. We kindly asked you to remove the review as we thought that the issue was resolved successfully. We did not intended to offend you in any way with this gesture.

Please kindly note the pool bar is not opened yet since summer season is not in, however that day a waiter was sent all day to go around by the outdoor pool and to take orders from guest. These issues were actioned immediately as our main commitment is your satisfaction.

We sincerely hope this will not keep you from returning and look forward to being able to welcome you back on a future visit.

Kevin Callus,

Reviewed April 26, 2019

Just stayed for 3 nights which I booked with Expedia. I believe I was treated as a ‘ second class guest ‘ as a result. The room we stayed was accessed via a ‘ tradesman’ lift not via main hotel lift. We had asked on booking for a late checkout as we had an evening flight but were told to ask at the hotel. We asked on arrival and told to ask on the day prior to departure, then told most likely we could have a late check out but to ask on the day. On the morning we were told we could not have a late checkout. I asked to speak to the manager and explained that we had requested this on booking and twice since arrival. It is not convienient to have no room when you are not travelling until the evening .He did let me keep the room for an extra hour ! But who was actually rude and told me this was the policy of every 5* hotel in Europe. I can assure you this is not the case. There was no offer of anywhere to change and when I said I would be adding this to my review was accused of ‘ threatening ‘ him. The manners and customer service was sadly lacking and hence I would not recommend this hotel. I would not class this hotel as on a par with other 5* hotels I have stayed in unfortunately. On a positive the food was very nice and the roof top pool pleasant ( although no bar ) . The rooms are nice although a little worn in places .

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Ian M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at the Palace hotel.

It is a great pleasure to read your kind words about the food, roof top and rooms.

However, it is very disheartening to learn about our shortfalls during your stay.I will not be making excuses and can only offer my sincerest apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion. With regards to the matter raised, we can not always guarantee a late check out, this is a subject to a availability on that day. It is impossible to move check-out time and not move check-in time respectively. We always try to assist whenever possible in extending check-out time, but when the hotel is full back to back, it is just not possible to do so.

We sincerely apologize if any of the staff came across as rude. Please understand that it is not indicative of the level of service our customers usually receive as is evident from the numerous online reviews. It is always our highest priority to us to ensure that our guests and customers leave the hotel happy and satisfied at all times.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review us. Your feedback is invaluable to our efforts to continually improve the quality of our product and services.

Hopefully you will return for more stays at The Palace Hotel.

Reviewed April 25, 2019

Stayed here for a week in April. Choose the place for the the location and pools as well as the HB meals. Had a superior room with sea view.
Here are my pros and cons of this place:
Cons:
-Needs refurbishment, the doors (always opens with huge bangs), the windows, the drapes (seemed to be dragged in the streets before being hanged) all seems dated and a bit 1980's.
-Our room had both the shower and a bath which seem too much, on the other hand the toilet part of the room had no proper doors, only some glass that slams with loud bangs all the time.
-What 5 star hotel has rooms into the interior? Thankfully it was not ours. Avoid those.
- Disappointing that even water is extra during dinner, especially knowing that tap water is non drinkable.
- Outdoor pools are not heated (has two and one indoor) , all are basically for kids as only 1.2 meter in depth.
- Windows of the restaurants were very dirty so the 9 floor view was not as good as described.

Pros:
-The food, great breakfast, great dinner. Lots of choice and very tasty.
-The gym. Great view.
-Good location to see Malta. Easy access to bus stations. Easy to reach Malta via the ferry which is a 5 minute walk.
-Service, the people working there are nice and professional always ready to help.

All in all we had difficulty understanding wether it is a business hotel (due to the location), family hotel (due to the pools), boutique hotel (maybe the style) or a SPA resort (has SPA, we did not use it so cant judge). Seems to target all markets, but non of them well.

My humble opinion is that it needs to refurbish to be a 5 star, now it is a solid 4 star hotel in which we had a great time.

Room tip: Avoid the interior rooms, choose a superior.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Kevin_Callus, General Manager at AX The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2019

Dear KarolisU2,

Thank you for your detailed and kind feedback following your recent stay with us here at the Palace Hotel.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly our food offer, gym facilities, great views, good location and the Palace Team's Service.

However, I do apologies about the aforementioned points and assure you that your feedback is well noted. I can assure you that I have already addressed these issues with hotel management and our maintenance department -it is through these comments that we can continue to improve on our services and identify the areas where we need to focus on.

Looking forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed April 23, 2019

We enjoyed our stay here but for a few small details. The hotel is lovely and the breakfast buffet exceeded our expectations. Our room however was a bit strange, the windows overlooked the inside of the hotel so no view and no opportunity for fresh air or natural light. The bathroom was a strange shape so there was no real shower, just a showerhead stuck half way up the side wall with a towel rail where the shower should be. Also, a small thing, but the really excessively loud TVs in the lift drove me mad by the end of 5 days.
The location between Sliema and St Julian's was superb so we'd return but definitely not to the same type of room.

1  Thank Liz W
Kevin_Callus, General Manager at AX The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2019

Dear Liz W,

Thank you very much for your last stay and for taking a minute to share your experience with us.

As a five star property, our main commitment is your satisfaction.I am feeling terribly sorry that your expectations regarding the room were not meet. There is always a possibility to upgrade guests room if availability allow us. Next time, please walk right up a front office team and voice your concerns. We will be only to happy to help you.

I do apologize for any inconvenience you had during your stay, however despite the description of the room I can see your experience seems to be a good one.

We look forward to host you once again at the Palace hotel.

Reviewed April 20, 2019 via mobile

We came here as a group of 4 friends and had a fantastic time. The rooms are spacious with bathrobes and slippers, which is a nice touch. As others have said, the breakfast is amazing. Staff are very helpful but the only (minor) issue I encountered was the price of a drink in the ground floor bar at night - €20 for 4 tiny Amarettos. Much better value and vibe elsewhere.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Kevin_Callus, General Manager at AX The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2019

Dear Lara065,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I was delighted to read that your stay was to your satisfaction and that our team members provided you with welcoming and efficient service. Your words are very motivational and encourage us to move ahead and always aim high when providing a high standard of service to our esteemed clients.

However, thank you for your comment regarding the drinks.It will certainly direct us in our pursuit to achieve greater guest satisfaction through constant monitoring and re-evaluating of our standards in terms of service.

I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Yours sincerely