“Regular visitor”
Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed February 28, 2014

The Palace is a lovely hotel with wonderful staff. I stay here at least 6 times a year for business. I have met guests who pay the cheapest price on budget web sites and then complain the most. You will meet these people in all walks of life. If you appreciate good food, attentive staff and comfortable rooms, you will love the Palace.

Room Tip: Pay for a room on the 8th floor to get the best views. Have breakfast before 9am, it gets busy.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Rev_Manager, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Linda B,

It is an honour and a pleasure to know that you choose to stay at The Palace for your business trips here in Malta.

We cater for business trips and leisure trips alike, and it is wonderful to know that you are another satisfied client who keeps returning.

The whole team welcomes your positive comments on TripAdvisor and looks forward to having you back for several more stays at The Palace.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

The hotel had all the facilities that we required, was very comfortable and the members of staff were excellent. The buffet dinner (which has a different theme every night) persuaded us to eat all our evening meals at the hotel during our holiday, rather than take pot luck elsewhere, for it was of top quality...Amongst the waiters, look out for Andrew and Eve! We considered the breakfast a little pricey and so we bought bread/croissants in the morning and sat on the balcony to enjoy them. We can wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

Dear Mr Woodfine,

Thank you for the high recommendation here on TripAdvisor. Andrew and Eve, the waiting staff , will be very pleased to know you mentioned their services in The Tabloid Restaurant.

As for our breakfast, it is a buffet, with a wide range of choices. However, the balconies are also extremely pleasant and it is good to know you benefitted from the one in your room.

We appreciate your positive comments and look forward to having you back as guests at The Palace soon.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

This place rocks. I have stayed here a total of about 3 weeks in the past five years. Last trip was in April, 2013. I just had to go back and write a review as we were just looking at the photos. location is superb in Sliema.

Pool on the roof is fun. Can be cold in the cooler months, but not a big deal. Clean and tidy.

Restaurant up on the 9th floor is great. Eat there lots. Ice cream was always a treat.

Breakfast was quite hearty with lots to choose from. You can eat inside out outside.

The little gift shop had many neat things and I would buy a gift every now and then for family or friends.

Overall, this place is a winner, start to finish. The next time I am in Malta, there is no question as to where I will be staying.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Ron O,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments about your several stays at The Palace.
We are truly honoured to know you choose to come back to The Palace.

Whether at Temptasian rooftop restaurant or at The Tabloid for breakfast and other meals, tending to the indoor/outdoor facilities, in the gift shop or any other area of The Palace, all the staff are dedicated to making sure your stay goes as smoothly as possible.

We look forward to seeing you back for more pleasant stays at The Palace.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

This is my first review on tripadvisor ever and that is because I'm quite a lazy person but felt obliged to leave a review in this case as this hotel really deserves it.

We stayed in a superior room on 6th floor with balcony. I don't know how it will compare to the standard rooms or the much more expensive suites but this room was excellent. The balcony with the sea views was amazing. Spacious room with no faults whatsoever.

Breakfast was excellent every morning, with an excellent variety. We have not dined at the restaurants so unable to comment but supposedly they are amongst the top in sliema (on tripadvisor).

Parking is available for 2 euro a day which was very convenient as we had a car.

All the staff and I actually mean everyone was very pleasant and helpful. Dorianne gave the whole experience a very personal touch.

The hotel is situated about a 5-10 min walk from the main seafront road where everything is situated. Scotts supermarket is about 2-3 min walk. The towers shopping is about a 6-10 min walk.

Overall a very nice experience and will no doubt return here when coming to malta.

Room Tip: I would certainly pay more for the superior room again.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Omer J,

I am delighted to read that your stay at The Palace went so smoothly. Dorianne will be happy to know she was instrumental in helping you.

All the staff take good care in making your stay a special one. For this reason I thank you for the highly complimentary review you have submitted. The time and effort on your part is highly appreciated by all, especially since you say this is the first time you have ever placed a review on TripAdvisor.

May we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace again soon.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed 4 nights in a comfort room with a good out of season rate including breakfast.

The hotel was difficult to locate because they do not give the Maltese street name in the booking, parking is underground and is charged at 2 € per day.

Our room was allocated on the 1st floor, it was spacious - the bedding and pillows were really soft and comfortable, one of the better hotel beds I've slept in.

We didn't really hear the church bells so much, we weren't located that far away. The swimming pool was great, although smaller than expected and a little bit on the cold side.

We ate in the TemptAsian restaurant, they had a special Thai night for 25€ per head including water and wine. The food was delicious and a great view across the bay.

Breakfast was plentiful, regularly topped up and decent quality. It was quite busy, staff only came around to top up tea and coffee.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear pwelch,

On behalf of all the staff I thank you for placing your review about your stay at The Palace on TripAdvisor. Your time and effort are appreciated.

It is good to hear you ejoyed your meals at our outlets, mainly Temptasian Asian Fusion Restaurant and at Tabloid and slept well during your stay with us.

Looking forward to having you back for more pleasant stays at The Palace.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My wife & I stayed here for a week in Feb...good size clean room with balcony facing the church on the other side of the street. I was hoping that the bells (3 times an hour - up to 10 chimes at a time ) would stop in the evening - they don't. They go on ALL NIGHT... a problem if you're a light sleeper. This isn't the hotels fault & the following morning they moved us to a much quieter room with no problem. The hotel is a curved shape & while room 244 got the bells, 8 rooms away room 236 was blessed silence.
Car parking is 2E/ night, the reception desk exchanges your ticket so you don't pay the full price.. it's also a public car park so you have to take your chance on finding a space-might be a problem in high season.
There are 2 pools, but the roof pool was closed when we stayed, the indoor pool is quite small & with more than 5 or 6 people in it, swimming in the same direction is essential to avoid collisions, although some times we had it to ourselves.
Breakfast is very good with a wide range of fresh fruit/ cooked & cold meats & all the rest.
The staff are all very friendly & helpful.
Hotel is a 5 minute walk from the waterfront & shops.
We really enjoyed our stay apart from the first night -again, not the hotel's fault.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the church unless you don't mind noise.

Dear Gary G,

I would like to thank you for your time and effort in submitting your preview regarding your stay at The Palace.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay. As for the room change and the car park, these are all facilities and amenities one may ask for at our Front Office desk, as you know.
Our staff will help and guide you in obtaining what you request and they are there 24/7.

We look forward to hosting you once again at The Palace.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We arrived in Sliema at the Palace Hotel, and were immediately struck by the modern styled reception, with two superb decorative chandeliers. A porter was on hand to take the cases to our room which was a lovely touch. We were told that we had been upgraded to a superior room from a comfort room. This was a nice gesture

The bed was very comfortable indeed, so was the bed linen.I felt that for a five star hotel it would have nice to have carpet on the floor. My wife did not think that this was necessary. Our bedroom had a large size balcony, shared with several other rooms, each section bordered by plants in pots. We had a view of an old church dome, and some very rickety stairs, It was also just across the road to the local church with its loud bells. These did not disturb us, even though we slept with the french windows open. The clock seems to suffer from a problem, it strikes superbly on the hour, quarter, half hour, and three quarter hours, There must be a fault because it seems to go berserk for a while at 20 past every hour. This would not put us off this hotel though.

The bathroom is unusual in that the wall does not go right up to the ceiling. Useful if you want to hear the news on the television, or music when showering. I dropped the top off my toothpaste and it rolled off the sink on to the floor, and under the bathroom wall! I have never had to go out of the bathroom before to pick up something I have dropped. There is a free wi fi, or ethernet connection in rooms which is a great bonus. Ours worked superbly. The satellite tv picture is not superb quality, neither is the selection of tv programmes. Our set was rather bassy sounding, I would have like to have changed that, but it was preset. We do not come on holiday to watch TV but would like a better picture and choice of programmes.

The room had several minor niggling problems, we decided to stick with these because we did not want to have the incovenience of repacking and unpacking our bags to change rooms. The toilet door did not shut completely, there was a scratch on the wall behind my bed (we had twin beds in the hotel) This must have been inflicted on the room by another guest, how people can do this to hotel rooms I do not know. The toilet seat was not fully on at the back, I was able to sort this out myself. My wife's bed had a small stain on the decorative cover at the end of the bed.

Even wihout these faults the room we felt was not Superior, but it was not tatty by any means. It was good however that the tea and coffee making facilities and television are in a separate unit away from the wall. We did not hear another television, or person in another room through the wall for the entire week we were there.

The indoor swimming pool was good. The stairs that lead into the pool are diagonal, and because I was not wearing my glasses I cut my shin on them. They could do with more lighting about the stairs to avoid this happening. There is a good gym there, I did not use it though. Free towels are provided.

The outdoor pool on the 9th floor looks superb, but is not in use during the winter.The 9th floor has a superb viewing area, and sun roof. There is a lovely infinity pool there, it must be lovely on a hot sunny summer's day. The view of Valletta and Sliema is superb from here. My wife and I loved watching the bats that fly around the hotel 8th and 9th floors from the roof, just before dusk and at night.

Breakfast is buffet style. I was pleased to be able to steer clear of cooked breakfasts for health reasons, but this is also provided, and I plumped for fruit, natural yogurt, and cereal. They also have cheeses, hams etc, The waiters are particularly good at keeping tea and coffee topped up. A lovely bonus was the option to have sparking dry brut wine at breakfast. They were happy to put our more bottles for those who had not had any when they ran out.

All of the evening meals are buffet style, and of extremely high standard. This enabled my wife and myself to experiment with food we had not tried before. I like seafood, but have not tried octopus, oysters or mussels before. I was able to sample one of each, before taking a portion on my plate. My wife stuck the the hor d'ouvres and salad items. We were on half board and particularly enjoyed the Valentines Day special meal. The choice of food that evening was extensive, Thai food and a myriad of other different styles of cooking. I enjoyed the Beef Wellington very much indeed. The Caribbean evening was also excellent. Three of UK hotel visitors, including me were chuffed to see Bread and Butter pudding as one of the dessert dishes. The desserts were generally out of this world! The waiters are very friendly, hard working and professional. The local beer was expensive in the restaurant, as is the wine in common with most hotels. It would also be nice if hotels reduced the cost of soft drinks as well.

The hotel is very well situated, just a short walk from Sliema Ferry, and the shops. BHS, M&S, Mothercare, and many more UK stores beside. Not our idea of a holiday abroad but good if you like shopping. Try Dr Shake for lovely healthy fruit and milk shakes and coffee!

We felt really comfortable at the hotel, and the location and meals really made our holiday one to remember. Thank you to the management and staff.

Room Tip: First floor great for us
1  Thank goingonagoodholiday
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Victoria Hotel
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Pebbles Boutique Aparthotel

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!