“Very good & recommended - but some drain smell issues and don't pay for breakfast”
Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Just come back from the Palace in Sliema - very nice hotel, here's a very quick review and useful tips :
- Stayed in a Superior Room facing back of hotel. Some people complain of the bells of the nearby church but at the back you can't hear a thing
- Room nice but often had a vaguely unpleasant smell from the drains - came and went. Didn't notice it with aircon but it was obvious from time to time - I hope they fix this
- Don't pay for breakfast! We went down on the first day and it cost 37 euros for 2 - that's over £30! Breakfast was average, coffee stodgy. Go room only, loads of lovely cafes just a short distance away.
- Don't pay for the water in the room. There is a supermarket 1 minute away where you can get the same bottle in your room for 50 cents rather than the 4 euros they charge
- We went in Nov so the top floor pool wasn't really in use - water freezing
- Indoor pool OK
- A nice treat is to go to the Fortina Spa resort which is 10 mins walk - they had an offer for 2 of spa use for 36 euros. The spa is getting a bit tired but was still nice. Its normally 36 euros pp so if they didn't have the offer on I don't think it would be worth it
- Loads of good places to eat. Nearby I recommend a lovely local pizzeria (can't remember name but turn left out of hotel, left at Scotts Supermarket and its at the bottom of the road on the right - past the Thai spa) and also The Chophouse at Tigne Point shopping about 15 mins walk - fab views of Valletta - about £20 for mains so one for a special meal
- Cab to airport from hotel was 23 euros so only 3 more than the journey from the airport to the hotel

Room Tip: Ask for one facing to back of hotel. Go room only and eat breakfast elsewhere.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Rev_Manager, Reservations Agent at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

Dear Guests,

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us during your visit to Malta. You have been kind enough to dedicate some of your time to give us your views.

On behalf of all the management and staff at The Palace, I would like to thank you once again for your comments and suggestions.

Reservations Agent

Write a ReviewReviews (3,574)

Reviewed November 13, 2011

The palace hotel is situated in a quite area,so that.if your interested to for some rlxing time as we did it will be the ideal hotel,from the inner its really nice and comfortable,rooms are excellent and modern furnished the best off the hotel is level 9the pool is marvelous..and you will see half Malta under you.and in the evening at level 9 there is restaurant called temptasian we choose Chinese.. wonderful place romantic and great food great service even b.fast it's good. there is talk of town..good coffee and good dessert:) ..not forgetting to mention the surprise cake for my b.friend's b.day Thanks to all the stuff, from the reception especially to mario messina he is a great man and very outgoing and very helpful. Thanks for the nice weekend :) .. for sure i can say i.m glade i choose this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Rev_Manager, Reservations agent at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

Dear Guests

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us during your visit to Malta. You have been kind enough to dedicate some of your time to compliment us on the service we have provided you with, which we truly appreciate.

Our ultimate objective is to serve and satisfy you with your expectations. It is in fact only through your comments and suggestions that we may achieve what we are striving for.

On behalf of all the management and staff at The Palace, I would like to thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed November 11, 2011

I spent a lot of time researching where to stay in Malta for a week's vacation there and I could not be happier that I ultimately chose The Palace. The staff were very helpful and on check in I was offered not one but two different suites as upgrade options in their adjoining property, the Palazzo Capua. As a solo traveller though, I was more interested in having a bit of a view during my week in Malta, rather than a sprawling suite with sitting room (and in one case, dining area) and bedroom loft. I felt a bit odd for turning down their generosity but they were completely gracious about it and eventually put me into a lovely room with a balcony in their main property that overlooked the town. And beyond its rooftops, I had a gorgeous view of the Mediterranean.

The room itself was elegant and well appointed and so sound proof that I was surprised one morning when I woke up and went out onto the balcony with my coffee and discovered the sounds of jack hammers and construction going on in the neighbourhood. Couldn't hear it at all when the balcony doors were closed! Same went for the bells of the neighbouring church - charming when they pealed and I was out on the balcony for a moment but if I was in the room, couldn't hear them at all.

The location for this hotel is also fantastic. Set away from the harbour, but only a five minute walk to all the activity along the Strand, I liked that it wasn't right in the midst of the bustle of the buses and ferries. During my sightseeing, I checked out some of the other hotels I'd considered booking and each time I found myself feeling grateful I'd chosen as I had. Yes, it's uphill a bit, but the hotel staff helped me figure out the route back that had the most gradual incline and it wasn't bad at all. If one found it problematic though, a bus stops within feet of the front doors.

Make a point of taking advantage of their sauna and steam rooms. With glass doors looking out through windows to a view of the city it was an unbelievably relaxing way to watch the sun setting after a long day of sight seeing.

My only mild disappointment was with the hotel restaurant offerings. Service was friendly but a bit inattentive at times for what I would have expected. And the food itself was 'okay' but nothing to rave about. That said, I prefer to eat off-site when travelling so it was only a couple of times that my schedule made it handier to eat at their restaurants. And it's not that it was horrible, it just wasn't anything to make a point of recommending. Still, I'm rating the hotel high because on-site restaurant offerings aren't that important to me and everything else was so wonderful.

Speaking of wonderful - the bed in my hotel room was probably the most comfortable thing I've ever slept on. So much so that a couple of mornings it was really hard to get up and head out for a day of seeing the sights. I was even so curious at one point that I had to check and see what brand of mattress it was. Alas, it appears to be from a local Maltese company but if ever shipping costs were justified, this might be an instance.

I felt that Sliema was the perfect base of operations for a week on the island of Malta, and the Palace was the perfect place in Sliema to stay. I was able to walk to St. Julian's one night to check out a particular restaurant and while it took about 30 minutes to do, it was a beautiful walk along the Strand and I didn't mind it at all. I could have easily taken a bus or cab back to the hotel on the return but was grateful for the chance to work off a bit of the sumptious dinner I had, strolling home along the waterfront. The bus into Valetta was easy to figure out and the Sliema ferry port was, as said, only a five minute walk away and the starting off point for all the bus and boat tours you could possibly want to choose from.

This was one stop of a longer trip and I really wanted a few conveniences and modern amenities while in Malta, at the end of days of discovering the ancient and beautiful offerings of the island. The Palace was perfect for that.

Room Tip: I booked online through the hotel's own reservation site well in advance of my stay and got a be...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank dzoerb

Dear Guest,

Whilst thanking you for your lovely words and praise, I encourage you to contact us at any time for any help you might need in making any future bookings for your next visit in Malta. All our team will surely give their utmost to give you the 5 star service which we constantly strive for.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

The Palace Hotel is exceptionally comfortably, friendly and has a brilliant location. We stayed in the Music Suite which was well worth the upgrade. We had originally booked into a Superior Room, which was fine, but wasn't too keen on the open plan bathroom/toilet arrangement. The Music Suite was so luxurious in comparison and you certainly got your money's worth. The spa was great, it had an infinity pool on the top floor and indoor pool and another small pool on the 8th floor. There were 3 restaurants, an Asian Restaurant which was good, the main restaurant which was excellent and a bistro style restaurant which was also very good. I could not faul this hotel or the staff and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Music Suite
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stiffnee
Rev_Manager, reservations Agent at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

Dear Guest,

First and foremost thank you for posting your positive feedback about The Palace.

Whilst thanking you for your lovely words and praise, you are encouraged to contact us at any time for any help you might need in making any future bookings for your next visit in Malta. We will surely give our utmost to give you the 5 star service which we constantly strive for.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

The hotel rooms and public facilities are of a high quality. However the overall performance is let down by the customer service on the front desk and in the breakfast room.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank 845rayg

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay at The Palace. We would like to thank you for taking your time to give us your constructive comments on our services.

It is only through your feedback and suggestions that we keep improving our product to ensure expectations are met.

Please be advised that we would be more than happy to be of good service to you as we first intended. We encourage you to contact us to see to your needs accordingly. We would be very happy to upgrade your accommodation and treat you especially, as a returned guest of ours.

On behalf of all the management and staff at The Palace, we would like to thank you once again for helping us improve our product.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stayed to this hotel for several nights in the end of October. As soon as we arrived at the front desk, the lady in charge asked to pay in advance for the whole period!! This is not happening in 5* hotels!!!
We booked for a basic room. The room was on the 1st floor, was very spacious and nice design, but that's it. The bathroom which was inside the room, sharing the same ceiling, was dirty and smelly. The toilet seat's color was far from white, it was almost yellow!! We couldn't use the shower, because of the bad smell coming after we opened the door. In the bathroom area, the ceiling was stained because some old flooding coming from the second floor!!
The rooftop terrace with infinity pool was lovely, but the water was freezing. There was no personnel to help you with the beach towels when were finished or with the bed mattresses. On one sunny day we ordered some beer, coffee and water and we have to wait almost one hour and a half to bring it on the pool area from the downstairs bar (the upstairs bar was closed)!!
The indoor pool is pretty small and freezing also. It was located in the hotel Victoria (4*), but they connect through hallway and is in common for both hotels!!!
The breakfast was lovely, with several food options like eggs, salads, meat, cheeses, sweets, cereals and sparkling wine, but the same every day.
We preferred to dine to outside restaurants and it was so great. Once evening we discovered Barracuda restaurant in St Julians and i think is probably the best restaurant on the island!! We dined there for 2 nights and it was absolutely superb: the location close to the sea, the food with a little bit of French influences, serving sea food dishes, lobster, fish platter with catch of the day, duck meat, angus beef.
After this first experience in Malta, definitely next time we will chose a real 5* hotel, like Le Meridien or Hilton in St Julians, even if The Palace will advertise lower prices, but they don't provide 5* services or quality.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ByMihaela

Reviewed November 4, 2011

Spent 7 nights at the Palace on their Honeymoon Package. Great deal which included a wonderful guided tour of the area around Valetta, massages, breakfast, airport transportation, welcome treat and amazing champagne breakfast on our first morning. The location is superb. Nice walk to St.Julian and many restaurants. Easy walk to the ferry to Valetta. Stayed in a Jr. suite with small balcony with 270 degree water views. Spacious & clean. Comfy king sized bed (not 2 twins pushed together). Awesome bathroom. Some have complained of the church bells...they are loud when the balcony door is open, but inaudible with the doors closed. Slept like a rock all night through. Others complained of the ac going off during the night. Here's the deal: It's a smart system that won't let you try to cool the great outdoors, or ice down the room when you are out for hours. If you adjust it after you come in for the night and close & lock the balcony door, it will stay on all night. Indoor pool area is a spa like oasis...too cool on our trip for the outdoor pool but is lovely to look at. Sister hotel, the Victoria, looked nice, but we didn't see inside any rooms. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CandC921

Reservations Agent

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Victoria Hotel
Pebbles Boutique Aparthotel
The Phoenicia Malta
The Phoenicia Malta
#3 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!