“Excellent”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Suffers from being a little further (100 metres!) round Spinola bay than the very pricey Dolce Vita & Meat and Co.
Great food, catch of the day was Sea bass, chose the fish, cooked perfectly, no fuss just a great Chef. Service was flawless and the price matched the area. St Julian's is pricey but it's the place to be, this place can compete on menu and price.

3  Thank Tina S

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Fantastic atmosphere and food ;) very fresh and very good ;) fish plates are very big portions. Kitchen is visible and very clean. Portions are very big and the food is perfect and mouthwatering. We a had the ravioli with grouper which was very good and then as a main course we had a big fish mixed with seashells and other sea creatures which was very good ;)

1  Thank Paulcnn
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Like another reviewer, we set out to go to Terrazza - the two restaurants are side by side. However it was quite busy and there were no decent tables left - you go to restaurants here for the views over Spinola Bay.

So we settled on a nice table at Sikania, overlooking the water. Smart place settings and a really nice ambiance.

I was not so impressed by the food. The fish I had was greasy and really not very tasty. The service was nothing to write home about. We had a bottle of white wine but it was left on the table and I had to ask for an ice bucket - you sort of expect an ice bucket at these prices. No apology, and I was left with the impression that they thought I was a trouble maker. That sort of set the tone for service for the evening, neither friendly nor professional.

So I was underwhelmed by the evening. It should have been so much better, given its position and decor. I don't know how new the restaurant is, and whether they will improve the food and service. It is not high on my list of restaurants to revisit.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

So, where to start? We were headed for Terraaza but no Pizza's on the menu so popped next door to Sikania because it looked nice (and had Pizza on the menu). Consequently no-one ordered Pizza. Two of us ordered the prawn risotto and spent that night and the next day regretting it. Sorry for the detail folks, spent with a stonking headache and frequent toilet visits.

We should have realised something was not right. First you are greated by an old guy (complete with a cigarette which never leaves his mouth which has a perpetual 1/2" ash tail) who appears to be a maitre'd but simply wafts you on to other staff. There is a seafood chiller in the reception area which as nicely presented fresh fish however...there is little ice, the chiller lid is always open to the world and, the old fag-ash guy leans over it all the time...you guessed it...with his tail of ash, nice.

There's not a great selection of Maltese wine. The food took an awful long time to come (which may explain the prawns being the cause of our severe discomfort), and, in the case of the risotto, a huge amount of rise and salt and play hunt the porcini and prawn!

In short, we will not go here again.

ADDENDUM: it's now 48 hours since my wife and I have (how do I put it delicately?) passed Solids. If you do go to this restaurant, do not touch the seafood. One of our party had the steak and it was ok and cooked fine. The others had meat ravioli. They too are fine.

3  Thank Happy C
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I have been twice in the last two weeks,and highly reccomend both the fish and the meat especially the Bisteccha Fiorentina. The wine list is extensive and well priced. His desserts especially the 'mignon' are not to be missed. Well done Vincenzo

1  Thank Patricia M