“Very noisy”
Review of Windsor Hotel

Windsor Hotel
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My mum and I have have just returned from a week in this hotel and had I known it was full of students I would never have booked it...it was never advised on any website I looked at. Still even it was advised this is still no excuse for a so called 4 star hotel letting young people run riot like a zoo in the middle of the night. My mum is in her 70's and was very intimidated by them. We were even put on the same floor as them and wish we had complained the first night had we known how bad it was. The lift had also broken down the first couple days and the stairs weren't the easiest to use. The staff were pleasant and the pool area was nice and clean. If you are looking for a relaxing holiday I wouldn't recommend it and definitely wouldn't say it was a 4 star hotel. It was close enough to the beach and shops but so are most other hotels. The satellite tv was a handful of channels only one English spoken which had no signal most nights. Definitely did not live up to my expectations..it is lucky that Malta is such a lovely island and we didn't need to spend a lot of time in the hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank J W
WindsorHotelMalta, Owner at Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear JW

Thank you for your time in putting your comments regarding your recent stay at The Windsor Hotel.

We do apologise that the young people staying at the hotel during the same time as you were noisy but unfortunately we do not have mush control over them although we did our utmost to minimise the noise levels.

We thank you for your nice comments about our staff and pool area. We will definately pass on your praises to our staff and will keep investing in training to improve our services.

We hope to see you again at The Windsor Hotel

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Windsor Hotel

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 4 weeks ago. I was visiting family and with this hotel being rated 4 stars thought it would be comfortable and clean. Well, first night went to use the shower and the handle practically fell off. I managed to screw it back in but could only get a trickle of water. The following night was disrupted by lots of noisy students who were running up and down the corridor for at least a good hour and a half. On my 4th night I got stuck in the lift with a couple of these students who were drinking bottles of lager openly around the corridors. I left after the 5th night, 2 days early. I decided to stay in my brothers spare room on a mattress on the floor. All in all I would say that this is one of the worst hotels I've ever experienced. The carpets were dirty and the staff were no help whatsoever when confronted with the issues on the shower head other than to tell me to keep my hand over the join where I came away. I would not advise anyone to stay here unless it's a last resort!!! Also the pool times were not as advertised, and I twice found the pool closed earlier than advertised.

KG

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank K G

Dear KG,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Windsor Hotel. We value our clients' comments as these help us to identify areas where we need to improve.

We do apologise for the problem you had with your shower head. You must appreciate that things do break through wear and tear especially is a busy hotel like ours.

The hotel is open to all ages and nationalities but we do not have control on behaviour of our guests but we do apologise if this caused an inconvenience.

The pools' opening and closing times are advertised on the door leading to the pools.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to show our improvements on your next visit to Malta.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed here last week in June 2013,before students arrived...didn't realise they were coming in July and August. Lift was also a problem for some,but we personally were never stuck.
Our main problem was the slippy stairs. One of our party slipped on the marble stairs,causing bad bruising and soreness. Our recommendation is to have non slip strips on the edges of all marble stairs,and handrails on all staircases,for the well being of the guests.
On a positive note,the food and service were good and the room was adequate. The mini fridge electrics were erratic....sometimes it was on,sometimes off.
Overall,we had an excellent holiday in this great resort, and the location of the hotel was handy for everything.

Room Tip: No tip for this,but another useful tip is to bring a mini kettle and tea,coffee etc.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Evelyn,

Thank you sharing your comments regarding your stay at The Windsor Hotel in June. We value our clients comments as these help us in improving our services.

We will definately be looking into your suggestion of laying non slip strips on the marble stairs.

We thank you for your favourable comments regarding the food and service but please note that we believe that the problem with your mini bar was due to the fact that it might have been plugged into the wrong socket. All rooms are equipped with 1 socket which has a 24 hour current and is therefore is not turned off when the key card is removed before clients leave the room. Minibars are meant to be plugged into this socket.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Malta

Kind regards

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my wife and my parents who are both in their 70s from 20th / 27th july 2013 and I can honestly say this is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in

5 minutes after check in we were stuck in the lift four foot up this was the only lift that worked the other two had been broken for weeks prior to our arrival

the first rooms we were in on the 3rd floor were nothing like the website boasted they were in a poor state of repair and dirty

The 1st night we were kept awake all night by uncontrollable so called students running up and down corridors screaming and kicking doors. after I'd moved them on twice I finally got the night porter to try to sort it

The 2nd night was just as bad so I complained again and was told by the reception staff they would look into the problem but said it is advertised that the hotel was full of students between july and august. this was not any website we look at.

The 4th night at 3am the so called young adults were throwing beer cans from the 6th floor swimming pool balcony to the road below when I went to complain again at 3.15 some were asleep in chairs in reception and bar.

In the morning on the 5th day we were offered two rooms on the 5th floor we looked at them they were marganly more modern and cleaner so we moved and had two reasonable good nights

The hotel website boast rooms with double beds satellite tv minibars complimentary bottled water. tea/coffee facilities and live music twice a week but they had none no double bed no minibar no water. kettle for hire and some days one English tv channel and no live music.

Due to the disgraceful manor and language of these students we could not use the bar. my wife and mum felt intimidated on the roof terrace pool area.
I think these students are a disgrace to their families and universities. And although it is not the hotels fault these students have no manners or consideration for others and only seemed to have learnt bad language it is a shame we have to put up with it. Even if the hotel got rid of these students I still would not want anyone else to waste their hard earned money and have the experience we had in such a dump.

p.s I must say the restaurant staff were very helpful and polite. and despite of a bad hotel we still had a good holiday

shaun leech guernsey

Room Tip: Don't stay in this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank shaunleech
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Not very clean and was full of very noisy, .disruptive students this was nothing like photos online or in any brochures I saw. The locals were aware of the hotel being bad when we told them that was where we were staying. Lift constantly breaking down we got stuck when we arrived. My mother in law had beer cans left on her balcony from student next door who had obviously left them there while we were out for the day.
would not recommend to anyone of any age.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kath L
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have the pleasure of writing this review for my mother in law, who stayed here for six weeks in May/Jun. Accompanied by her sister they had a wonderful holiday. I have heard all good about this hotel from them. Although the hotel is basic it was what they expected for their budget. I've been told it's clean, in a good location and the staff were lovely.
My mother in law June, would particularly like me to mention Rita their housekeeper who they said was wonderful. They enjoyed seeing her & chatting to her every day.
June is looking forward to another 4 weeks stay here, which she has just booked for Dec to include Christmas & New Year.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GE666
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Found this hotel great, location is walking distance to the shopping center. After reading a few comments, I was not sure whether I should stay at this hotel.

I was very surprised as soon as I opened my room on the 5th floor. All rooms where refurbished. New bathrooms with fantastic new furniture. I would say I had a room which I compare or even much better than a room I was accomodated in a five star hotel in Rome. The beds are very comfortable with perfect mattresses. i had a nice spacious room. Even other guests spoke very highly of their accommodation.

Very good good breakfast. They have a great buffett with a good slection. The hotel is being renovated, but it never really caused any issue.

Staff was very helpful and quick check-in and check out together with the restaurant and housekeeping staff.

I highly recommend The WIndsor Hotel and i will be back shortly on my next business trip to the beautiful island of Malta.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business