“Stay elswhere” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Stay elswhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Booked in for 21 nights March 2013, stayed only 1 night. Roof top swimming pool not available hence nowhere to enjoy any sun or outdoor facilities. Should be rated as 2 star for service, food and rooms. Reception and restaurant staff not unpleasant but not interested in service. Restaurant reached by walking out of Hotel and 20 meters on a narrow pavement - not pleasant in the rain.

Room Tip: Higher Floor, but all rooms dark and no sun other than reflected from buildings opposite. Staff nee...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JMR301
WindsorHotelMalta, General Manager at Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your 1 night stay at The Windsor Hotel.

We do take all reviews seriously as this helps us in improving our service.

I would like to point out that the embellishment work taking place around the outdoor pool area can only be done during the winter months. This will be of benefit to all future guests.

Your comment that you could not enjoy the outdoor space and sun is somewhat confusing when you also mention that if what not nice to walk to the restaurant in the rain.

I would like to point out that a large number of our guests make favourable comments about our staff, service and food.
Kind regards
Carol Burgess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Llanrwst, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I had not been on holiday for over 20 years and the windsor was just right not over the top which I liked all staff where very friendly and helpfull, the food was good family and well cooked. the weather was perfect for what I wanted warm and dry and after a long day out walking it was nice to come back and have a swim and hot suna which got rid of all the walking pains, the rooms where clean and beds made every day with nice towels. Only one big fault I wish I could have stayed another few weeks. Thanks Windsor you do me fine.
P Sto get round Malta get a weekly bus ticket about £10uk money go anywhere any time between 6am and 11pm

Room Tip: the room I had was 413 I think was great
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Terence W
Stirling, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I am one half of a young couple who picked the Windsor Hotel as our choice of hotel when we visited Malta in February 2013. We specifically picked it because of its close location to Valetta and Msida Skatepark (My partner is a regular skateboarder) Being our first holiday alone together we chose a supposed '4 star' hotel as it seemed like the best option. We couldn't have been more wrong. Not usually ones to complain we put up with the filthy room, (our feet were black when walking around without shoes despite maids supposedly coming in every day) the broken toilet, which one of the maids decided to test out while we were out one day and must have been embarrassed when she couldn't flush. We complained about the toilet and nothing was ever done. The real kicker though, after our first shower in the bathroom, my fiancee was drying his hair and did not notice the smashed ceramic shower hook sticking out of the wall beside the door, he cut his elbow to the bone, crippling him for the rest of the holiday and scuppering his plans to skate every day, he couldn't even use a knife and fork as his arm had to remain straight. Supposedly they check their rooms, yet after speaking to other couples it was clear they don't. We didn't report the danger when we arrived as sadly we didn't notice it as it blends in with the wall and we had not used the shower yet, the accident happened on the second day of our holiday. On top of this, the staff were extremely rude and unhelpful, making us walk to the hospital half an hour up the road! Which we were turned away from as it was private which they neglected to tell us. One receptionist in particular was very rude and should have been fired on the spot. I had to rush downstairs when it first happened, they reluctantly gave me bandages and told me to sort it out myself (I have never applied a bandage to another person before.) We had to go to a filthy free clinic another half an hour down the road, and forced the hotel to pay for our taxi which extremely reluctantly they did. Ten days after the incident (thankfully we are home) my partner's injury is still affecting his work and home life. Obviously he could not go skating at all, which was one of our priorities. We were offered no compensation or special treatment from the hotel. They continued to treat us with rudeness, possibly discrimination as we are younger. We could not have another room as there were none available. The broken ceramic shower hook was removed TWO DAYS later, I had to cover it with a sock, The actual thing was covered in my partners blood. A maintenance man came to fix it and removed it yet left shards of it all over our bedroom and bathroom floor, which would have sliced into our feet had we not noticed. On top of this as we were finally leaving this nightmare hotel, we were waiting to pay our dinner drinks bill (you had to pay for drinks with dinner) which came up to a measly 12 euros. We waited for half an hour for their card machine to work while the whole time our transfer back to the airport was waiting, this made us almost late for our flight. The card machine didn't work in the end, so the same exceptionally rude receptionist decided to write down all our card details, including our 3 digit security code and expiry date and told us to go and she would do it later. As you can imagine it was out of order especially without permission and by then we had no trust left in the hotel, we had to remove the piece of paper in which we wrote the details down on, by force. The only positive I can say for this holiday is that, despite not all of the food at the restaurant being to my taste, the waiters and chefs were sympathetic and helpful, and for that the hotel gets 1 star. This hotel is not a 3 star hotel let alone 4 star. I overlooked the bad reviews on here when I chose it, now I wish I hadn't been so blind. We are currently trying to claim compensation for their lack of care ruining our holiday but as of yet they are refusing. I'd just like to warn anyone, if you still decide to pick this hotel you may be lucky and have a better experience, but CHECK YOUR ROOM as soon as you go in. We would hate for it to happen to anyone else. Anyone shorter and it could have facially disfigured them. I hope whoever reads this bothered to read all of it. I'm not a complainer and I almost scoffed at the exceptionally bad reviews, but we should have listened. This hotel needs to be stripped of it's 4 stars.

Room Tip: If you still decide to go, make sure you get a balcony room as the other's we have heard have on...
4 Thank Alice U
Dear Ms. Underwood,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay at The Windsor Hotel. We are sorry that your partner had an accident during your stay with us but please allow me to make the following comments regarding your review.

Rooms are thoroughly checked prior to all arrivals, in fact your room was checked by our Front Office Manager and I can assure you that the ceramic hook was not broken.

Our records show that a taxi was called to take you to hospital when your partner was injured and this is only a five minute walk from the Hotel. I cannot comment as to why you were turned away from this private hospital but I can assure you that the government run clinics and the health service in Malta is rated amongst the best in Europe.

What remained of the broken hook was removed that day after the accident . This could not be done before as the 'Do not Disturb' sign was constantly outside your door.

Although you booked your stay on Half Board, drinks are not included with meals. Drinks are only included when one books an All Inclusive package which is not offered by the Hotel.

Unfortunately, the card machine was out of order on your departure, but you fail to mention that I personally informed you that we would waiver the Euro 12 on your account.

Please rest assured that we welcome all comments made by our clients as these help as to improve our services.

Kind regards
Carol Burgess
General manager

Travelers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

very difficult to see how this hotel can be classsed as a 4* our room was very dark, and so much noise from the lift which was next to our room, hot water was a rareity always just warm, will not be returing to that hotel ever.

2 Thank derekwjb
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 weeks at this hotel in January. It was a cheap deal with Mercury Direct so I am writing this review with this in mind. The rooms were furnished with aging pine furniture, but our beds were comfortable. There were no facilities to speak of in the room - the lighting was poor, the t.v was old and very small with only 1 english channel which was BBC world news. We took our own kettle, but other guests were being asked to pay 2 euros a day to rent a kettle plus a deposit! The bathroom was adequate, but once the hotel had increased its number of guests the hot water soon became luke warm water, no matter what time of the day. The cleaner though keen to get into the room in the morning, did not clean the room properly for the entire stay. And the piped pan pipe music in the corridor was enough to drive you loopy.
On a more positive note, the location of hotel was very good. Not on the seafront, but only 1 street back. The food on the whole was good. Plenty to eat, though sometimes the combination of dishes were a bit unusual. The dining room staff were cheerful and worked hard.
All in all, if you are paying a cheap price for room and board, it will be what you expect. If you go with this in mind you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rubbish collection is daily and very early in the morning. Try and get a room on a higher floor if...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank julie c
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

this hotel should not have a 4 star rating, our first morning we were woken up by the room attendant at 8.30 am asking when she could clean our room!!! which was never cleaned properly during the entire stay, the standard of furnishing in the room was poor, just a shame they couldnt have continued the theme of the modern furnishings in the lounge and bar.... the steps up to reception were extremley high and at times very slippery.... the pool was dissapointing really small.... the only good thing about the hotel was the food....... would not go back!!!

4 Thank jet04650
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Many thanks to Mariella and all the team at the Windsor hotel, Sliema ,Malta. This is the fourth visit to the hotel and every bit enjoyable as the first time for the Lane family. Fantastic quality food as always with a great selection of hearty meals. The rooms were spotless and warm and great entertainment provided during our stays. Terrific value for money and a great central location on the island with great links to everywhere. Keep up the good work and we look forward to visiting you again in the future. Many thanks for a wonderful holiday, the Lane family Jan 2013.

Room Tip: most rooms available with juliet balcony with no extra cost !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family