We chose the Waterfront based on its high ranking on this site and were not at all disappointed. Our sea-view room was spacious, with not one but two balconies - although sadly the poor weather in early April meant we didn't really get to sit out there. The bathroom was clean and practical, and the shower belied its basic design with its sheer force of water. What's more, the hot water never ran out!
Breakfast, even for the late-to-bed amongst us who crawled in to the restaurant at the last minute, was more than adequate. You'd have to be exceptionally picky not to find something to your taste, and I especially liked the fact that you can top-up on coffee/tea as much as you like from the machine.
The staff were helpful and friendly, which seems to be a Maltese national characteristic (except behind the wheel of a car, but that's another story entirely!)
Others have mentioned the road at the front of the hotel. We were on the second floor (209), and found that whilst going to sleep was no problem (bearing in mind that we stayed out till the early hours most nights), we were woken at the crack of dawn not by the normal traffic, but by silencer-free old wrecks racing over the potholes, often with that ubiquitous bass-beat thudding from their open windows. However, two pairs of decent ear-plugs solved that problem!
Sliema itself isn't particularly pretty, nor did it turn out to be 'our kinda town' on the nightlife front, as there were few proper restaurants in the immediate vicinity and the bars were too 'English' (ie. they all had football on big screens all the time), but we soon got used to the bus to St Julians and the short-cut walk back (which we finally got right on the last night - but even with our wrong-turns it was still much nearer than the 'scenic' walk along the front/round the headland.) The best restaurant in Sliema, for us, was the Basilico pizzeria in the Waterfront. What's more, the hotel's own snack-bar, the Star Cafe is excellent for lunch.
The rooftop pool area seemed fine, and we would have loved to spend more time there. Unfortunately, the one sunny day when we ventured up, the icy wind drove us back inside! The following day (our last) was a proper, hot sunbathing day. But we were in Valletta all day... Oh well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Waterfront Hotel is a leading 4 star hotel in Malta. Situated in an excellent location along the Sliema promenade, the hotel is placed within walking distance from public transport and other services including bars and restaurants, several shopping outlets, The Plaza Shopping Centre and the Sliema Ferries. With stunning views of the Sliema creek, Manoel Island and the unmistakable silhouette of the capital city Valletta, The Waterfront hotel is the perfect choice for discerning travelers seeking comfort in exquisite surroundings. All of the 165 Hotel rooms and Suites are maintained to a very high standard and feature a balcony and an en suite or open plan bathroom. Rooms are also equipped with various amenities including private bathroom, Cable TV, Mini Bar, Safe Deposit Box, Radio, Air Conditioning and Room Service. Complimentary WiFi is available in all areas of the hotel. The Waterfront hotel is also a popular venue for quality events and meetings in Malta. Our hotel is a perfect option for those getting married in Malta or are spending their honeymoon in Malta. The Waterfront Hotel offers dining options such as a buffet breakfast and dinner at the Regatta Restaurant or light snacks at the Lobby Bar. The Indoor Pool will also be undergoing extensive renovation works, and in view of the upcoming development of our Lido we shall offer complimentary transport and access to a neighboring Lido to ensure that our guests find the facilities they expect. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Waterfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waterfront Hotel Malta
- Waterfront Hotel Sliema Malta
- The Waterfront Hotel Malta/Sliema