“Hotel charming.Pity about the noisy teenagers”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Staff couldn't have been more polite and helpful. The hotel has an old world charm with marvellous double staircase. The breakfast was buffet style with hot and cold food, the dinner was a set menu and was good value for money.There is a bar and pool with a small garden area to sit and have a snack or drink.Air conditioning very welcome as it was about 35 degrees outside.The bedroom was basic but had a tea tray and TV. Our bedroom was overlooking a side street , but was in the shade so we didn't mind.However the beds were not very comfy.The main disadvantage was about 40 teenagers who were on language courses and took over the pool and terrace when they returned from classes, leaving wrappers and bottles behind. They weren't badly behaved but were noisy in the evenings and sometimes in the night. For example,groups of 6 just going from one room to another , talking loudly is enough to be annoying , particularly when their curfew is 11 pm on weekdays and 12 at weekends and then some settling down time until all is quiet.We actually started to plan our time at the pool when we knew they were out and tried to go out in the evenings to avoid the noise.Their rooms are dotted all over the hotel and not in one block.We would go back to the hotel if there was a guarantee that there were no students.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank eve108

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Agree with last posting - lovely old charm / style but needs just a little work to improve the standards. Bedrooms large but basic though air conditioning excellent (when we were there there was a day time peak of around 35 degrees C). Public rooms good, showing great charm but only Bar and Restaurant Air Conditioned - Bar only in the evening. Breakfast OK but didn't take any other meals here. Good central location for Sliema as could easily reach several different parts of the front.

Downside - was the Language Students. Agree with last posting and also mentioned to the Manager that they should consider not mixing large groups of teenagers (who are bound to be noisy) with adults. Suggest you avoid June to September, which is when they are here, or ask to get a guarantee to be placed on a separate floor if you do not want frequent interruptions to your sleep. Multiple students in a room with only one key - means they are bashing loudly on the bedroom doors for entry each time they return to their rooms.

Avoiding this period could well give you a much pleasanter holidy.

Room Tip: Ensure you are not on same floor as any students visiting.
3  Thank Manon G
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

Thank you for your time to put your comments which we value.

I can assure you that although we have a number of younger aged clients, who are accommodated till the end of July. These clients are being kept on different floors under strict supervision. They are also being served their meals in our Ballroom, this to avoid any possible disturbance to mature clients who are served in our main restaurant.

I am happy to report that a number of Tour Operators have visited the Imperial and were impressed by the way that my team is controlling these younger aged clients.

Once again, I thank you very much for making use of Tripadvisor and do look forward to welcoming you back at the Imperial Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Just back home today after a lovely week in this hotel. The food was good the staff friendly and helpful. A wonderful old world hotel with loads of charm. It could do however with some money being spent on it to update it! There were lots of foreign language teen-aged students staying at the hotel, they were a bit of a nuisance. The owners need to make a decision, are they a hotel or a youth hostel? Adults and hoards of noisy teenagers do not mix!

2  Thank Val B
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Well what can I say? The Imperial is very reasonably priced, the usual brigade on here complaining of paying 1 star and wanting 5 star.
I have worked and holidayed all over the world, often in so called 5 star and only want a clean comfy bed, a/c and a decent shower/bathroom when away. After all I am on holiday and only use the room to shower and sleep. Towels and sheets changed every day so I was happy.
I thought the hotel had a lovely old world charm in the public spaces, after all it's getting on for 150 years old. The staff were incredibly helpful and Hesham in the bar was also very obliging.
My girlfriend is Maltese and they were more than happy to welcome her anytime she came in for a drink or a swim..
I didn't eat the evening meal but I thought the breakfast was great, always found something I liked and again, the staff are incredible.
I would be happy to go back. The only slight downside is the number of noisy children on language courses there who can be a pain but the girls on reception read them the riot act and they soon calmed down.
I loved the place, quite quirky and a couple of ex pat Brits who are regulars in the bar made for good conversations.
I hate miserable b**tards who complain about nothing, I found this place fantastic.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the back of the hotel
4  Thank AMB311267
Reviewed June 26, 2012

as a budget traveler, I am ready to accept a few inconveniences when staying at a hotel:

the rooms need to be refreshed? never mind, as long as they are clean.
the A/C was noisy, which is quite common. However, I could also hear the ones from the other rooms!
the bathroom was equally unremarkable, with aging furniture. The toilet flush was not working properly, the shower was not adjustable and I had to stand on the syphon. I stayed for a week and I never got a new supply of soap.
the TV was very small and with a very limited choice of channels, since the rest was pay per view. and the WiFi was insanely expensive at 4€ per hour, given Malta has many free hotspots, and it was literally cheaper to go to a restaurant with a WiFi access and order something!
the worst part was something no one wants to see in a hotel room: after I noticed something strange with the water, I checked with a glass and sometimes PEE-COLORED WATER COMES OUT OF THE SHOWER AND SINK!

In the end, it feels like this hotel tries to lure clients with cheap prices, and make a profit with overpriced services (WiFi, food...). the only way this hotel could go back to its former glory would be with a complete renovation.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Francois G
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed here for one night in early June. I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor before booking. Our flight to Malta landed late so we needed a cheap hotel to stay overnight before our drive to Gozo the next day.

I found a good rate of e41 including breakfast for a double room.

As we arrived, the check in attendant knew who we were and quickly checked us in. Our room was on the first floor. The lift is small and only fit one person plus two suitcases. The lobbies remind me of something old fashioned like an old school or hospital.

The room was fine, just as I expected. There was a large iron burn mark on the table however. We slept well and the aircon was powerful.

The bathroom is very old fashioned but I was able to have a fine shower.

We got up too late to have breakfast. Check out was extremely simple.We had a quick drink while waiting for our hire car to arrive. The downstairs is nice, you can imagine it hasn't changed much in many years. I think this gives it a certain charm.

We left at about midday and were very happy with the hotel choice. I don't think I could have found better in that price range. I would probably choose a different hotel if I was staying for longer, but it suit our needs perfectly.

1  Thank Rachie1234
Reviewed May 10, 2012

This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The food was terrible. The room (103) is drab, dirty and seemed to have a coach outside every morning with the engine running.

The manager did not deal with our complaint and once I had made the complaint the manager avoided me dispite him saying he would deal with the problem.

I will not be going back.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere in Sliema
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ian M
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

I regret to have to read a comment from a dissatisfied customer.
I would appreciate if customer will make direct contact with me on info@imperialhotelmalta.com and give me further details. As regards to the room in question, I confirm that it overlooks St. Mary’s Street but we would have not hesitated to change the client’s room if we have availability.
I cannot understand the comment about the coach. I am aware that close to this particular room and the rooms in this particular are, one finds an un/loading bay for coaches, but with due respect I find it very hard to understand that coaches are left running for very long times as being suggested.
I do take this opportunity to apologise to this client and do look forward to his communications as indicated above, since our objectives are to ensure that our clients are satisfied with our services, as demonstrated by a very large number of repeat clients some of which have been returning for these last 53 years while others have been returning to the Imperial three times a year for these last ten (10) years.