2 people are viewing this hotel
Priceline$29
Hotels.com$49
Travelocity$49
1,788 results
All reviews sea view rooftop bar the bus st julians cleaned every day spinola bay indoor pool main road room was cleaned daily beans tea and coffee making facilities buffet style yogurt sliema ferries cold meats peppis stops
Selected filters
Reviewed April 16, 2017

My wife and I found this hotel as a packaged deal with a flight and transportation to/from the airport, and we can honestly say that our stay was average at best. Let's start with the pros:

1. The hotel is at a good location near restaurants and bakeries, and you're right across the street from the promenade and the bay. The promenade was a big win for us!
2. Hotel staff was very professional and courteous. Not one time did we have any negative interaction with them, so kudos!
3. Room was always clean with fresh sheets and towels provided, and the shower kept its temperature very well.
4. There's a small indoor pool in case you want to swim when it's raining outside.
5. Lobby was pretty nice just to sit and relax for a few, and you can use the wifi for free.

And now we unfortunately have to mention the cons:

1. Our room felt small for two people, but we still managed to make it work. However, our room had a view of the hotel's internal pipes and inner walls. Granted we didn't book a room with a view of the bay, but seeing the pipes was disappointing. The bed was too soft for us, and after a couple of days we developed shoulder and back pain. Good thing we brought medication for that.
2. The room's main door did absolutely nothing to block out any sound, so we heard everything. Also, the doors for the main stairwell were open most of the time. Combine that with bare floors and walls, and we could hear every conversation that was taking place at the stairs, even from people who were on different floors.
3. Speaking of noise, the maids began their cleaning generally around 7am. Again, thanks to the bare floors and walls, even the smallest sound they made was amplified due to the acoustics.
4. Wifi was not free from the room and is quite expensive. It ranged from 30 minutes for 1.50 Euro to 10 hours for 20 Euro. Unless you're in dire need of wifi in bed, stick to the wifi in the lobby. While we had international plans, reception from our room was very poor. You might have better luck with a room that has an external view.
5. They served English breakfast, which was disappointing. We've stayed in other hotels that had English breakfast that was quite good, but this hotel was not a hit. The fried eggs appeared slimy, the "scrambled" eggs actually appeared and tasted like they were dehydrated with water added. They had apple, grapefruit, orange, and pineapple juices, and all were terrible. We weren't expecting freshly squeezed, but these juices left a lot to be desired. Unless you like instant coffee, skip it and go for the tea (peppermint was our favorite). We elected to go to a local cafe for breakfast (Mr. Maxim's Jr. Cafe for the win!).

Overall, it wasn't a disastrous stay at the hotel by any means. The staff was among the friendliest we've ever encountered, the hotel was generally clean, and its location was great. Just be prepared for whatever imperfections that may come your way.

Room tip: Book a room with a view of the bay
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank stevenk42
Reviewed April 15, 2017

Our first visit to Malta. We had booked a side sea view room but it seems we got an upgrade ( only realised this when we went into our room, no one told us) to the 8th floor penthouse in the added on block of the hotel (there's an apartment between the hotel and the block) this was easily accessed by a corridor and lift at the rear. The room was huge with an amazing view. Only had one problem within a few hours of arriving we managed to lock ourselves out onto the balcony. The patio doors locked behind us and having no phone signal we couldn't phone the hotel for help. 8 floors up no one heard our shouts so all my husband could do was phone the emergency service on his phone (999). After persuading the police it wasn't a prank they finally phoned reception and we got rescued. Only after this did we see a sign on the inside of the door ( unreadable really, could do with new ones) instructing how to keep the door unlocked oops.
We found wifi downstairs in reception, this was obvious by the amount of people sat around on phones/tablets and we joined them nightly to post our regular facebook updates like you do.
Buffet breakfast was 5.75 euros each but well worth it a lovely spread. We stayed four nights and ate at peppis across the road and in Caras café downstairs ( you can get the hotels wifi in there too) both lovely food.
The hotel is very handy for the buses, walking into St Julians and around the headland where we got a ferry to Valetta. We only stayed for 4 days and we need to return as there was so much we didn't see and do. We will return to this hotel, I'd love the penthouse again but if not I think booking a seaview 3rd floor and up rather than a side sea view will be nicer as the view is worth the extra money.
Decided not to hire a car because a) there wasn't anywhere to park it and b) the drivers are mad! There didn't seem to be any rules and the cost of the bus isn't expensive at all and worth it to stay alive.
The weather was pleasant, around 15/16 degrees we were wearing t shirts while the locals were still in padded coats and boots. Guessing it gets really hot in summer. We were there for Valetta carnival ( weekend before Ash Wednesday) which was colourful and very busy but worth a visit. Took the bus to St Pauls bay/Bugghiba which is a nice area too but we prefer this one.
Overall no complaints with the hotel or area.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank BarbaraSherrington
Reviewed April 4, 2017

I made my booking for Hotel Plaza Regency 2 months advance. When I arrive hotel around 19:00, they told us, "They don't have the room for us and they will send us another hotel "When we ask reason, they told us something really not convincing. We waited around 45 minutes, finally they transported us to another hotel on the other end of the Sliema. Best part, at that hotel, they told us they don't have any information about situation and we wait for another 30 minutes. Next day, we return Hotel Plaza in a horrible traffic. Of course, room wasn't ready, we left our luggages to luggage room. we could achieve our "precious" room afternoon.
This was a terrible begging for a holiday.

Room was ok, breakfast weak. I never prefer Plaza Regency if I travel Malta again.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2017

I have been staying at this hotel every year since 2006 but due to age and debility there will be no more visits. I have found this hotel to be an excellent tourist hotel with all that is needed to make a holiday perfect. Breakfast is perfect with all the elements required by any nationality. Dinner is buffet style with the variation in quality to be found in that style. In my last visit the lamb cutlets, stuffed cod and garlic rabbit were particularly memorable while I always enjoy the soup. If I have a complaint it is probably that the choice of sweet is either gateau or ice cream not all to MY taste!

In March I was in the same side view room as I was in the previous March. I find the side view rooms a good compromise for comfort and price. I was delighted to find that the chambermaid was the same as a year earlier. I have not used the swimming pools nor the bar so I can make no comment about them. There is now free WiFi in the reception area though payment has to be made if it is used in one's room. I have always found the staff to be helpful at all times.

There are bus stops (Antik) for both directions near the hotel There is an attractive park, Independence Park, with childrens' play areas, plenty of seating in the shade and in the sun and there is a cafe where a coffee, a beer or a sandwich can be enjoyed. The park has dozens of friendly cats just begging to be stroked. In the area there are several cafes, restaurants and ice cream parlours.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank kendoon
Reviewed March 29, 2017 via mobile

Our first visit to Malta and obviously the plaza regency suites.
We were not disappointed,the position of the hotel is excellent as are the staff that we encountered. We had a large apartment with adequate cooking facilities.
We had requested a front sea view and was glad we did as the view is superb.

Admittedly the apartment was a bit tired but as hotel is a 3 star and considering the price we paid for three weeks we are definitely going to return.

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple