The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels
  • Room Service
$283
$165
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,446 results
All reviewscara's cafesea viewrooftop barself cateringthe busst julianscleaned every daythe penthouseindoor poolspinola baymain roadboth directionssuperior roomevening entertainmentbeanshop on hoptea and coffee making facilities
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had Trip Advised this holiday and knew that it had terrible ratings and very bad reveiws, as it was right next to St.Juliens and on the front I found it perfect for bars, restaurants and bus stops, also at night for promenading,. There is a lovely park and rock beach to sit in/on so take something soft for lying on. The Hotel has got stuck in a time warp and the single bedroom/cell !!! that I had was OK when I had opened the tiny window and moved the furniture around to make more space. The carpet was 'cheesy' smelling but otherwise the bedding, towels and bathroom were clean. I was only B&B and this was sufficient, good fresh bread and cheese etc. Cereals and English for those who fancied it. The staff were totally over-worked and frazzled but if you smiled at them and engaged them in conversation they were quite happy. The Manager tries to be friendly but just isn't, he is in the wrong job. The Receptionists did a brilliant job considering the Hotel is in a bad state of repair and most of their calls were about petty issues. When you take off your flight cost and transfers the Hotel room for B&B worked out about £25.00 !!! No wonder it is tired. IF you want a central location Hotel and don't mind the tattiness this is the place to go. It's cheap and thats all you can say.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are very noisy as the road is right underneath. They are shabby but clean. Apparently the sister Hotel next door is much newer and tidier.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Leigh H
ManagementPlaza, Manager at The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Many thanks for your feedback. We would like to point out that the carpet will indeed be replaced and we will go to parquet floors in the future, just as we did in the Plaza side (which is not the sister hotel, but part of the same hotel). These will certainly give a fresher look to the rooms.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have just returned from Malta and the hotel plaza regency in sliema and I can only say if you intend to stay here then quickly change your mind and pick a different hotel. The hotel is split into 2 and i read the reviews and thought that they were a bit over the top but you do have to ask people to let you into the hotel as the restaurants get busy and when people queue for the food they think your barging in. This hotel requires some serious maintainance or even better shut and totally refurbished to a better standard.on the second night the light went in the bathroom and it took 2 days to fix which was very annoying even though the staff on reception knew,secondly the bathroom door in the room wouldn't open fully as it banged Into the bed so you had to squeeze yourself into the bathroom.And the rooms were very tired and the side sea-view which we paid extra to have ( a small window) needed a good clean as did all the hotel and also my sons room ( I say this room ) it was more a cupboard and the air conditioning motors were right outside his bedroom window and made a dreadful rattling noise all night . The only 2 good points that were worth mentioning were the food which was varied and good and also the lovely island of Malta which is absolutely stunning .So if you want to have a happy experience on holiday in Malta miss this hotel by miles.Thomas Cook need to take note !!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks for your feedback. I have tried to take note of your crtiticism but I cannot find any constructive points on which we can try and improve our property. It looks as if it is simply written to condemn us without giving us any opportunity to make our argument. Having said this, all our side-seaview rooms have a balcony (and not a window) so the only factual thing written is inaccurate, but other than that I cannot really comment.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I wrote a review about the Plaza Apartments in 2010. I returned because of the first class position. The self catering was poor before but I thought with several bad reviews they may have improved it. Wrong!! The first evening there I released there was not a cereal bowl for my cereal so I went down to the reception to ask for one. I got a Maltese female receptionist with a bad attitude. No hello or good evening just, "yes ?" I said I would like to eat some cereal for my breakfast could you please supply me with a suitable bowl so I can enjoy my breakfast? She said "what is in the room is all you get." I said "well I think in self catering I should be able to eat a bowl of cereal !" She said "Use a pasta bowl". I said "a pasta bowl is not deep enough". She said "it is and that is all there is". I went back upstairs, looked at the past bowl, it was about half an inch deep but thought "Ok, I won't make a fuss, I will try to make do."
The next evening we were going to make Omelets. I thought, an Omelet must be one of the simplest things to make so I will have an Omelet with some Baked Beans for my main meal.
What is the first thing you do? Take some eggs and mix them in a container with the Milk. No container to mix them in! There was a mega sized Saucepan that you could cook enough Rice for about ten people and a very large Saucepan but these were too big. Down to Reception again! Got down there and there was an even rudder Female Maltese Receptionist. "Yes". I said "excuse me I am trying to make an Omelet and there is nothing to mix it in. Could you supply me with a jug or something please?" No she said, you will have to make do with what you have." I said "You are not telling me that in your Self Catering Apartment, I cannot even make an Omelet?". She said "But". I don't know what she meant by this but from the expression on her face I think she meant the equivalent of "Whatever!". I was starting to get annoyed and said "This is not good enough I want to make an Omelet". She said "go upstairs to the Restaurant maybe they will lend you something". I went up another lift to the Restaurant, after standing there for several minutes a Waitress came up to me, I explained my plight, as soon as I told her I was self catering her attitude changed as if I was second class so she didn't have to be nice to me. She went up to the Chef and the two of them stood there in front of me talking in Maltese, both could speak perfectly good English, but they kept looking over at me and making faces. Eventually the Chef said, "I don't know why you can't mix an Omelet in a Cereal Bowl, that is what I do!" I said "I would prefer a jug of some sort but if you have a Cereal Bowl I will use one of those". I was given a Cereal Bowl. It is funny as I was told the night before that they didn't have one! Eventually I got back up to the Apartment after going down one lift and up another. The cereal Bowl was too shallow so In the end the few Utensils were in a plastic container, so we emptied the container, cleaned it out and used this to mix the Omelet. The Frying Pan, used to be none stick but this had worn off years before so we ended up with the Omelet stuck all over the frying pan despite using lots of oil. The Baked beans ended up making a mess of the Microwave because there was one microwave dish and no lid.

All in all it was a disaster. This is what Thomas Cook say is self catering. I did complain to the Rep later on but typical of Thomas Cook he was as much use as a Chocolate tea pot (incidentally we took our own Tea Pot as they don't supply one). Thomas Cook say they have a team who inspect the Apartments and make sure they are up to standard. Must be an invisible team who never cook for themselves. I have complained to Thomas Cook Head Office before but I know that is a waste of time, they are as obstructive as they can be. They wanted the video evidence on VHS tape!!

I passed the Manager of the Hotel a number of times and each time he looked straight through me. Once I said "Good Morning" to him in a loud voice to at least get a comment, all he did was muttered under his breath. The English receptionist was good as were the Male Receptionists, they were actually friendly but the Reception staff in general need to go on a serious Customer Service Course. I actually think two of the Maltese females and the Manager need to be sacked they don't do the Hotel any favors.

The Apartment was ok, it was the Penthouse. The Cleaners were nice but we had to ask them not to use their Mobile Phones outside our door at 7 in the morning. After this they stopped doing it so well done to them. I did use me ear plugs each night but that was partially because the "entertainment" (Pub Singer) was so awful, we could hear him from the roof of the Hotel and because the noise coming across the water from Paceville was loud. We didn't have anyone upstairs so this did not effect me.

I really wish Thomas Cook would raise their standards for self catering, the Hotel owners have no incentive to do so because they want you not to self cater and to pay in their Restaurant. We didn't on principle but there are good eating places around, Surfside was very good.

This Hotel was 3 Star, the Self Catering lower than this but with a decent Manager and some effort they could boost it to a good 3 Star at least. Not impressed a waste of a good position. The only reason this place survives is because it is in a very good position. I wish I could find a good Self Catering place in a good position in Malta, with good staff. They give the impression 'take it or leave it'. I think they have a shock coming when their economy hits the buffers.

Room Tip: Sea front facing is good but noisier. Views are brilliant from higher apartments. Self Catering is a real struggle.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KimPaignton

Many thanks for your feedback and I assure you that your criticism will be taken in a very constructive manner. We are getting quotes in order to have cereal bowls in the rooms as a matter of fact, so hopefully in your next visit you will find these available, as well as other items to make it more managable to cater for yourseld. Our self-catering units are made up of 2 hot plates, microwave oven, fridge-freezer, kettle, toaster and cutlery and crockery. You will find several pans to try and meet all demands. I assure you of our full commitment towards our self-catering guests. After all, it was our decision to have these rooms as self-catering and not as simple hotel units. Therefore in no instance do we treat self-catering guests as second class guests.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have just read through some of the recent reviews made by other guests and cannot quite decide if they stayed at the same hotel as we did.
Location is brilliant, out of main busy Sliema, but within walking distance if you enjoy walking along a beautiful sea front. We stayed in the Plaza side, rooms were bright and airy, clean and everything worked.
Staff were pleasant and friendly and the Restaurant Staff were excellent. It is a busy buffet restaurant where people tend to eat at the same time, but the staff work hard to keep things ticking over. The food is good and plentiful, full english breakfasts available as well as the cheeses, cake and meats for continentals.
The rooftop pool is clean, food is served there at lunch time and I saw no broken furniture, all was clean, service was ecellent.
Maltese people are friendly and have a great sense of humour.
I am almost answering the complaints of previous reviewers - they must have been in a different country and hotel.

Room Tip: High floor, with balcony gives a wonderful view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank AitchGloucester
Reviewed June 20, 2013

my wife and I was given the holiday to Malta as a gift for our honeymoon, having never been to Malta we were very excited, the location of the hotel is fantastic, loads of restaurants in walking distance, a 10min walk away from the hotel is a shopping mall and the pizzeria in the hotel entrance is really good.
The hotel itself quite literally has two sides to it, its two separate hotels joined by a roof bar and pool, both of which were nice and clean when we were there, the bar staff were also very pleasant and friendly.
The Plaza, the hotel on the left and the plaza regent on the right are in stark contrast of each other. We were in the plaza regent initially, the room looks very old, there were blood spots on the bedding, the carpet was torn, the air con did not work and leaked, the water was brown in the taps, the room was dusty, bathroom tiles by the door were broken, there scorch marks up the door frame, the balcony was filthy and the bathroom window didn't open. Having read some reviews on trip advisor I noted the otherwise got really good reviews.
We asked the lady behind reception if we could be moved, she didn't ask why nor looked surprised, she just arranged the move for two days later, that was all she said to us, no apologies, no free water as ours was brown nothing. She is referenced a lot in reviews as the angry Irish lady.
The left side of the hotel is brilliant, lovely bright rooms,working electrical equipment and air con, pleasant staff, new tvs, linen and clear water, we really liked that side and would happily give it 4stars if it wasn't for its evil Siamese twin.
My family sent an email to the management on our return who called my wife and I a liar, we sent photographic evidence, they have yet to reply to a message since we gave them proof.

Room Tip: Get it in writing that you are in the plaza, the left hand side. Do not go in the plaza regent. The rooms at the front have really good sea views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple