“Recommended Hotel”

Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
Kent, United Kingdom
“Recommended Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a long weekend on the 31st May - 3rd June to visit friends and will most definitely return. I booked a superior twin room for sole occupancy and was not disappointed. I stayed in refurbished side of the hotel.
I had requested a room on a high floor and although I hadn't been allocated this the receptionist was more than accommodating and moved me onto the 4th floor. I was originally placed on the first floor and the room overlooked trees and the noise from the road below was quite loud.
Room 431 was a well appointed twin room with two balconies with absolutely stunning views across to Saint Julians. I would recommend this room as for one from the far left balcony you could pick up the free wifi from Peppi's across the road (a place I spent quite a bit of time in as it had great food and coffee as well as the free wifi) You will read previous reviews about the amount the hotel charges for wifi, whilst I don't agree with being charged it's not uncommon in my travels to have to pay, so accessing it free was a bonus!
The room was quiet and had a really comfortable bed, in fact I slept better here than at home!
The pool area was pleasant and everywhere was really clean.
This hotel has a great location with bus stops outside, if you want to go shopping go to the Point shopping mall, http://www.thepointmalta.com/page.aspx?id=73 the bus drops you virtually outside and in my opinion offers better shops than those in Sliema.
Thank you Plaza Regency, I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank HolidayGirlMalta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Yateley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

stayed at this hotel from 26th-31st of May. hotel is clean and tidy and the staff very friendly. it's in a good location, the beach (rocky) is opposite and there are bars and restaurants close by. we were going to stay at the La Vallette but decided to change hotel after all the bad reviews. there is a pool on top of the hotel, plenty of room with a bar although the pool was cold. we stayed here bed and breakfast and the food was very good. we were on the 5th floor room 502, it had a patial sea view and sleep quality was excellent. air con also worked well. we go back to this hotel in the near future.

Room Tip: rooms on the 5th floor would be quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank whitehart_7
Irving, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We spent 4 days in this hotel in May 2013. As we planned to make sightseeing, we booked only the room (Superior Twin Room with Sea View) without breakfast nor dinner. Location of the hotel is really good, if you like walking you can reach Sliema Ferries in 20 minutes through the city or 40 minutes along the coast. If not, you can always take a bus which starts directly at the hotel. Sea view from the room was also great - our room was on 3rd floor and the 'superior room' for 2 persons is really spacious.

And this is where the good things end.

In general the service in hotel is terrible: they are polite, but helpless, especially in case of problems. In our case there were 2 issues:
1) dirty shower cabin - which was not cleaned till end of our stay, although we pointed it out to the reception

2) lack of cold water for the whole day, so neither the toilet nor the shower could be used. It started in the evening when we returned from a whole-day-trip. The receptionist was helpless and the manager the next day wrote to us answering to our claim: "[...] you were certainly not left in the middle of the street". This was rude :-(

I am sure there are other places with much more customer oriented service available on Malta.

Room Tip: As the hotel is at the street, which is quite noisy the whole day and night. I think the higher a r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Rhondda, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed on the plaza regency side if you can go the other side. Our room was overlooked by the regency with a small side window looking out to the sea. The only plus side to that was you could tap into peppis kiosk's free wifi.
Some staff were OK others were quite brash, the housekeeper was very nice tho.
Food was OK breakfast is better than the rest.
Entertainment was poor especially when it was held in the rooftop bar,( very windy ).
Would go back to Malta but not stay here.

Room Tip: Opt for the plaza side not the regency side.
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
neath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed first week of October 2012 for one week.Stayed in the Plaza side Rooms were refurbished with laminate flooring.Room was lovely and clean with good furniture and clean bedding and towels.Excellent location just minutes from the sea (three) with bus stops outside to go either way.Small sandy beach outside the hotel ideal for chidren but there is also bathing from the smooth rocks or from the stone pier for teenagers and adults.Food is very good self service and hot.Between the two hotels is a narrow street slightly uphill which leads to the Nappa bar on the corner of the second street on the right popular with locals and tourists has an outside seating area with probably the cheapest prices you will find while on holiday in Malta.The barmans name is Vince tell him Keith sent you.There is another pub,keep on walking up the hill to the third turning on your left,after 100 yards you come to Sneakers pub on your left.Very interesting collection of artifacts on the walls in fact every where.This pub has a pool table and very clean toilets again popular with locals and tourists and same prices as Nappa bar.This bar is closed on Tuesday evening and opens at 8-30pm each evening untill whoever is the last to leave.Barmans name is Peppi ex navy Chief Steward.Tell him Keith sent you.

Room Tip: If you smoke have a room with balcony
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Sunflower8 captures the flavor of this hotel. While I did not expect a fancy hotel, this was a sad place in a great location. Some staff were nice, others not so much. Look around for other hotel options, as there are many in this area....

Room Tip: Avoid Room 427 in the Regency!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sunflower State
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

We were with a group at this hotel and were originally in a room at "The Plaza" portion of this complex. It was awful. The facility was awful. Even the ocean view didn't make up for the noise which was horribly intrusive. The room was almost too small for two people, there was one outlet in the entire room, the beds didn't have mattress pads, one bed frame was broken, the hall paint was chipped and worn, the hall ceilings were low, the halls were dark, the room didn't appear to be clean and the floor was very dirty (I wore my shoes the whole time), there was a 2.50 euro charge per day to use the tiny safe in the room, there was no wifi unless you paid a huge fee and although the morning staff and the evening staff was nice and friendly there was one woman on the afternoon shift that was downright rude and scary. Customer service was not in her vocabulary. I asked her a question and because there were other people behind me waiting in line she pointed a finger at me and said "go to your room so I can call" and I felt like as was being sent to my room for punishment.

Thankfully, after 3 nights in the nightmare room we were able to move to the "Regency". We'd tried to do so earlier but they said there were no rooms. It didn't seem too full and we were there before the season so I wonder about that. We did have to pay 5 Euros a day more to get a better room. The updated room was much better by any standard but it still had issues. Taking a shower without flooding the bathroom was impossible. The hangers wouldn't stay in the slots to enable using the hangers to hang up clothes and when I put my slacks in a drawer the bottom of the drawer fell out. We were in a "family apartment" which was one large room that could accommodate 2 roll aways and had a little kitchenette. I noticed that there was a charge if we wanted to use the kitchenette. We did have mattress pads but the towels were old, thin and although they were supposed to be white they were gray with stains on them. (At least I hope it was stains)

Both facilities are served by the same dining area and we had paid for the "privilege" of having breakfast daily. The coffee was dispensed from a machine that put pre-measured instant Nescafe in a cup. It was dreadful. The variety never changed except one day we had canned peach halves instead of incredibly sour oranges. The hard boiled eggs always had black yolks, the juices were in no way real juice and tasted worse than bad powdered drink mix, the fried eggs were usually either too done or too runny, the bacon was NEVER cooked to doneness in any way, shape or form--I could go on and on but I think it's clear it was bad! The bread was good but there didn't appear to be any actual fruit in the jam to put on the toast. The staff in the dining room seemed very nice but they didn't have a lot to work with.

The area around the hotel had many nice restaurants, coffee shops, and bars and was really a good location. It is just unfortunate that this hotel is such a disaster and any one who gave this place a three or four or five star rating has to be making it up!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends