“AVERAGE -”

The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The Plaza & Regency Plaza, two hotels, joined but really one, The Regency Plaza is due to "close down" The Plaza recently partly refurbished.

I stayed at The Plaza first week of Novenber 2012, all of the hotel staff were first class helpfull people, the hotel was cleaned everyday, with clean towels daily and bed linen every two days, flat screen TV in most rooms.

I stayed half board, i can only say the food was very average.

The accomodation ( rooms) of which i was unfortunate to request i be moved 3 times were small and stuffy, the first had no natural day light and no fresh air but was finished to a good standard, the second was in The Regency Plaza which was old and veery poor, the third was back in The Plaza (112) i accepted, however it had at least 12 kitchen air con units on the outside walls that came on at silly o'clock keeping me awake.

Now for the main problem, the kitchen staff who i'm sure delighted in banging steel trays pots and pans around during the small hours.
My son and grandson had a room (409) that was stuffy no smelly again with no ventilation or natural daylight.

My daughtering law and grandaughters had a room (311 i believe) which was first class, lucky dip i guess but buyer beware.

If you are not happy with your room the reception staff are happy try and help.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank cridd

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was nearly put off going to this hotel because of the comments on trip adviser but thankfully we decided to go with it and complain if we had to!
We had taken an older neighbour with us and because it was booked separately, her room was on the 4th floor and ours was on the 5th floor. Our maid Lily suggested that she could be moved up to our floor and this was done straight away. Although our neighbour had booked a twin sea view room, it wasn't as nice as ours. We had a full balcony over looking the bay and when we were in our room she came and sat with us. Our bedding and towels were changed everyday and the staff were friendly and welcoming. Lily especially, who has worked there for some years. The food was excellent and were couldn't have wished for a better place to stay. The two hotels are joined by a bridge and we stayed in the Plaza side. You get what you pay for!
Well done Plaza Regency Hotel.

Room Tip: After reading the comments I asked Thomas Cook to request that we would have a room on the Plaza sid...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Having recently returned from my stay in the Plaza Regency hotel,I felt I had to warn people just how dreadful the hotel is!I gave it a one and that is purely for the location which is excellent.My friend and I had booked a single room each.The rooms were shocking-small,dated,not particularly clean and had a tiny window(I'm sure you'd have a bigger window in a prison cell-not that I would know!)The bedding and towels weren't fit to clean the floors with.The towels were grey(not white)and threadbare.The bed had seen better days!I had to sleep on pillows to cushion myself from the uncomfortable springs!The lock on my door didn't lock when inside my room,so I slept with a chair up against it every night.My husband was horrified when I told him and said I sholud be moved,but they were full up.To cap it all,the food was like having the worst school dinners possible(tinned veg and NO fresh fruit-except oranges!)Staff were rude and really couln't care less.Pool was not heated and freezing.Far too small to serve two hotels.I booked online and the photos they show were of the refurbished sister hotel- the Plaza.All in all,we made the best of a bad situation,we had to laugh otherwise we would have cried!!!We were told at the end of our stay that the Plaza Regency is going to be closed soon for refurbishment-wants to be totally regutted and start again if you ask me!!!

Room Tip: Plaza hotel refurbished,Plaza Regency not!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Linda31Brighton
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Comfort rooms are nice, big and clean. The staff is nice and friendly. Got helped when asked to join the beds from two to one. (Of course not from the first time we've asked) Nice view from the pool floor. Lots of elders, not too many attractions.

1  Thank Matasv
Reviewed October 31, 2012

While waiting to check in, two other customers were complaining about their rooms. Not a good start. I was on a basic budget holiday and my room definately reflected that. Room was like a prison cell with one small window more than five feet from the ground. En-suite was so small I spent the holiday having to sit sideways on the toilet. Cleanliness was dubious at best, sheets not changed during my stay (10 days). The hotel is split in two, with a small street in between, the half I stayed in did not have any entertainment and no bar. It should be said that staff were very nice, friendly and helpful. I believe some rooms have been renovated and the rest are waiting to be. To be honest the hotel should be closed to allow the work to be done. This is not what you want to arrive at after saving hard for your holiday.

Room Tip: To choose a good room go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ulsterfox
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We'd booked a self catering studio as previous reviews said that these were in the Plaza rather than the Regency, the reviews for the latter being pretty grim. We had room 140, on the first floor, with a side sea view. On arrival, and throughout our stay the reception staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room, which had a small kitchenette area, table with 2 chairs and a small balcony with enough space for 2 chairs and a small table, was cleaned every day. The maid even did our washing up for us. Towels (a bit thin and threadbare) were replaced every day and the bedding once during our 1 week stay. The bathroom was clean, the shower had good pressure and constant hot water. The room was next to the lift but it didn't make a lot of noise. It was out of order once but being on the first floor we tended to use the stairs all the time. We tried to use the roof top bar but it was closed. The pool was quite small for the size of the hotel with the sun beds packed tightly together in rows, there was no chance of us getting a space. We didn't bother going up again so we did not know if the bar was ever opened and the one downstairs opens from November as does the indoor pool. The hotel claimed to be fully air conditioned but according to the panel n the room this is centrally controlled and wasn't switched on during our stay. The rooms were quite hot and stuffy so you had to risk leaving the balcony door open during the night. We didn't try the restaurant, comments from fellow guests were unfavourable.
Bus tickets are available from reception, 2.60 euros for unlimited day and the bus stops are right outside. The buses are easy to use, though quite often very busy. If you go into Valetta, on your return you can get the number 12 or 13 from bay 1a in the bus terminal.
If you travel with Thomas Cook and go to the welcome meeting, be warned. You will be offered a visit to look at the Fortina Spa hotel with a view to getting a discount on next years holiday. The incentive is a 40 euro voucher off any Thomas Cook excursions. When you get there you are then subjected to two and a half hours of hard sell for time share. With a week in October starting at just under £10000, this is hardly a discount!! When we mentioned this to the rep Laura she said she didn't have any control over this, as it was orders from head office. Laura herself was very helpful and coped admirably with all her guests requests, and was still smiling at the end of the week. It may also be worth mentioning that when we booked with Thomas Cook they wanted to charge us over £85 for transfers. The set price for a taxi is 20 euros each way. Vouchers for this are available from the airport taxi desk, and at the hotel reception.
We tended to eat out at Peppi's across the road on the waterfront. The staff were very friendly, large portions and reasonably priced.
All in all the hotel served our purpose for exploring the island, however if we ever decided to go back to Malta we would probably choose a different hotel.

Room Tip: Ifyou want to make sure you stay in the Plaza rather than the Regency,select self-catering.
2  Thank holswelove
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a hotel of 2 very distinct halves. There is the Plaza on the left as you look from the sea which has been refurbished, and the Plaza Regency on the right which most definitely has not. The Malta Direct website presents pictures of the Plaza, i.e. the good bit, therefore you are led to believe that this is where your booking will be. Some friends of ours had a self catering room on the Plaza side which was perfectly acceptable and fairly modern. However, despite having booked a 'superior sea view room' we ended up in the Regency side on the 6th floor. It would be hard to define what it could be superior to as it was tiny, dated and shabby and the linens were dreadful. We asked to be moved over to the Plaza side on Day 2 but that was not available, so we moved hotels.
There is a pleasant coffee shop on the ground floor called Cara's.

Note: when we arrived at 1:00am (our flight was late), we asked the hotel for two bottles of water which they were unable to provide. However, there is a vending machine across the street - so have some change available if you are arriving at this time.

Room Tip: Don't book this on-line - do it on the phone, and insist on the Plaza side - not the Regency. Th...
1  Thank VanninLady