“Good 3 Star facility”

The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Accommodation being upgraded, choice of rooms / upgrade to ' superior ' for a better room size, facilities & views, food at all sessions is excellent, very good choice ranges, something for everyone. Well positioned location. Local wines served in the restaurant are all excellent, bolstered by an Italian selection, Agreed the bar prices & evening entertainment are not in keeping with the overall experience, all staff are friendly & welcoming.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank skolzi
ManagementPlaza, Manager at The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Many thanks for your positive feedback. If you have any suggestions in relation to the bars and evening entertainment, we are more than willing to listen to you, after all the daily entertainment we provide is for the guests, and it would be great to be able to provide what the guests want.
We look forward to host you again in the future.

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Returned on 15th Nov after a week`s half board. Some recent reviews are very hard to accept as we found this hotel (except for it`s evening entertainment and high bar prices) was very good value for money, we had a lovely room 638, very clean comfortable beds, pillows were comfortable too (which is not too common in most hotels), clean towels daily and an excellent shower. The food was of a good quality with a full English to start the day , a four course meal at night, having three choices of main and two choices of sweet followed by cheese and biscuits ( a glass of local wine at eu2.30 each with the meal was acceptable)
The staff were all efficient and quite friendly in all areas. This is our fourth visit to the Plaza and really go for the location but we find the hotel itself has improved quite a lot especially with the food.
TA has many warnings about the hotel NOT being suitable for disabled due to the steps at the entrance and a simple review of TA would advise on this.
All in all, for a three star it is very good value for money. Went with Chevron Holidays without any bother at all.

Room Tip: Book side sea-view or sea -view room, worth the extra.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank dabroChesterEngland

Many thanks for your feedback.

In relation to bar prices, our prices are in line with those all over the island but we have taken note and we shall be checking it all once again, many thanks for pointing this out.

We look forward to host you again in the future.

Reviewed November 20, 2011

I wish to report that Mr Anthony Ellul,(a.k.a. Tony) Duty Manager of the Plaza Hotel was extremely rude to me in a public area i.e. Cara Coffee shop in front of several customers and guests of the Plaza Hotel in Sliema, Malta. He shouted at me that I cannot expect the housekeeping to change my sheets every day. He was very abrupt and agressive in his manner and this was not professional at all. My bed linen had not been changed for over five days and I called reception from my room about this which was conveyed by the Receptionist, Sandra to Mr Ellul. I would also like to report that Sandra was not at all pleasant when I checked in which I reported to Mr Ellul and his superior. After Mr Ellul shouted at me he mentioned and I quote, "Are you going to report me like Sandra"! The Room Attendant on the 3rd floor of the Plaza Hotel whose name was Timi, told me a lie that she had not been paid 700 Euro for last August and I felt so sorry for her that I handed her 20 Euro in the beginning of
my holiday as a tip. Timi then ignored me for the duration of my stay and never bothered to change my bed sheets. My room was full of hairs especially in the bathroom on the floor and on the tiles. The rooms were cleaned with a filthy rag over a broom carrying germs from room to room. I checked out on the 19 November and purchased a new Ryanair ticket for £137 odd to return home sooner. The food was terrible and I ate out for both breakfast and evening meal. I would appreciate you reporting this complaint to the owners of the Plaza and Plaza Regency Hotels, Sliema, Malta.

Room Tip: Always request Plaza side as the Regency side has not been refurbished.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
12  Thank MarkLondon_UK
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Travelled with a group of elderly RNA Vets and the hotel is difficult to access and is not disability friendly.One of the vets complained there was no kettle in his room and the manager decided to make us all equal and took the kettles out of every room our group had booked. After complaining to Thomas Cook we got them back but we were told we could not have any coffee, tea or milk. Rectified by tipping the cleaner.Food very average and the pool area on the roof left a lot to be desired. The pool bar never opened in the 10 days we were there. When I arrived in Malta I wondered why I had waited 20 years to return. The hotel and manager quickly remined me why

Room Tip: Make sure you upgrade to a room with a sea view
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank david b
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my friend and had read a variety of reviews. However on arrival we waited just a short time for our room key and we were happy that our request for a room in the refurnished part of the hotel had been given. Although we did not pay for a seaview room we were happy with our balcony view over the back of the hotel where is was quiet and fine to sit out in the evening.
Our room was lush and the decor was modern and many furnishings all coordinated.
We had a kitchenette with sink fridge microwave and hobs. a dining table, balcony furniture, a large wardrobe ( great :-) and a nice bathroom. New towels were given every day and the housekeeping staff were fine to come back when we had the odd lay in.
We went self catering and there is a small mini market not far from the hotel but better to do atleast one big shop to get more in from a larger supermarket.
Into Silema habour it is a longer walk than we expected, however the bus service is top notch and buses run very frequently and at a cheap price, we should have used them earlier in the holiday.
There is now a large shopping mall in silema for those wanting retail theropy (or if it rains) There are water taxis from Silema across to Valletta which is a lovely option to see the town.
Into the more nightlife part of the area it is a 15/20 minute walk- again there are buses. And taxis. Prices were pretty cheap compared to other holiday destinations.
There are a wide range of trips you can take and a trip/ tour shop just by the hotel on the left hand side.
In front of the hotel there is a small beach and also a pool on the roof which is nice to chill out.
There are many festas durng the year which are nice to see and you can find trips running with local coach companys. There are also regualr trips to Gozo and Comino which are a lovely way to get out and see different areas.
The hotel staff were all friendly the rooms was very nice and i would stay again. However if you do have issues walking Malta is quite hilly and the paths arent always so even. So even for pushchairs if you head out of main road areas it can be difficult. There are steps up to this hotel.

Room Tip: Request refurbished part
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank UvulaRoc
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We were really looking forward to this trip to Malta. However, after returning from our holiday/honeymoon, we are more than pleased that this was not only only holiday of 2011, as we would have been very disappointed.
We had paid for a superior sea view room on a half board basis. We arrived slightly earlier than the checking in time so were happy that our room was ready. We had already pre-warned the hotel that a high-floor room would be better for us (after reading previous reviews about the lower floors having a view of the street/trees). They gave us a room on the 1st floor, but then changed it for us to 3rd floor when we asked. So, after satisfying our request, we had high hopes for this hotel.
Unfortunately, the holiday did not live up to our expectations for a few reasons, the hotel being one of them.
The tiny lift took ages to take us up to our room, we wasted so much time waiting for those slow lifts.
The size of the room was great but the bathroom was quite dingy and not in proportion to the room at all.
We thought we'd get around while we were in Malta, but were so disappointed that the yellow buses had been replaced by Arriva and quite frankly, they were a joke. One day, 3 busues went past us without stopping within the space of a few minutes despite us waving at the buses to stop.
Service in Sliema was slow and unfriendly, as was the service in the hotel.
Upon reflection maybe we should have not gone half board as the food really was poor, and the gentleman carving the meat/serving the main meals at dinner time was really stingy and the really did not like giving food away!!! A serve yourself buffet would have been much better. Also, there were flies on the bread at breakfast most days
The hotel was clean but surrounding areas just looked grubby. We thought this was going to be a pretty place full of beautiful sights but did not really find this.
We generally try to be positive about hotels/holidays even it's not 100% perfect but unfortunately this time it is difficult to find many positives.

Room Tip: Superior sea view on a high floor - or choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank oneils08
Reviewed November 2, 2011

28th. October to 1st. November 2011

Purely by chance we saw a four night half board package in a travel agent’s window and decided to book it. We stayed in the Plaza Hotel part of the twin hotel complex and having requested a low floor we were given a first floor room at the side of the hotel. I did try to get an upgrade when we arrived but I was told there were no vacant rooms available. The room was tiny (don’t bring a cat), the balcony was a joke and we had two basket weave type dining chairs and a stool ((which I think was the table) stacked in the corner by the window. They just fit the balcony, if arranged in a pattern, with very little room for your legs. The chairs had to be manoeuvred through the window as it was very narrow. The double bed was comfortable and we had plenty of drawers. On arrival we found we had a problem with the toilet as it didn’t flush. I reported it to the desk and they sent a maintenance man to it while we popped out. When we came back in I checked with the desk and was told it had been sorted, it didn’t flush. I reported it again and we went out for lunch, again when we returned I was told it had been repaired, it hadn’t been and still didn’t flush. I reported it again to the desk, and with the help of the rep, managed to get the manager of the hotel to come to the room after waiting for him for 20 minutes. He agreed it didn’t work and phoned someone about it. It couldn’t be repaired until the following morning so he offered us another room to sleep in that night and the use of it’s toilet during the rest of that day. He offered us a free bottle of wine with that evening’s meal for our inconvenience. It was repaired the following morning, but still needed pumping to make it flush properly, but at least it worked. It seemed a lot of messing about for a small repair job. The room was, as I said, small, the bathroom could have done with a make-over, as the tiling around the shower was old and damaged, but generally it was clean and a maid came in every day. One big problem was that the water was cold in a morning, but fortunately I use an electric razor and managed with a cold wash.
We were half board and our first encounter with the food was the evening meal. We like to eat late, but the dining room finished at 8:45pm, by 9:00pm we were the only ones left in it, so we left at 9:05 (the following night the times changed and the meal finished at 8:15pm). The meal left a lot to be desired, very little choice (three of each course). For my starter I had antipasto salad, which comprised of a few lettuce leaves and peppers. I suppose as it was 8:15pm most things had been eaten and not replaced. I then had Hawaiian gammon for my main, although what was Hawaiian about it I haven’t a clue. It was self service apart from the meat and a waiter carved mine from a gammon joint. He gave me a small thin slice of gammon and some little bits. The vegetables were chips, sprouts and carrots and there was some pasta. The sprouts were frozen and the carrots were tinned, everything was virtually cold, including the meat. My wife had beef in red wine (one piece) which was also tough. The sweets were cake and ice cream, everything from frozen. I asked where the sweets were as there was only some scraggy bits left and they brought one other cake out. It had ice in the middle of it. The free bottle of wine was the cheap house one. The next three nights we ate out.
The breakfast was better with quite a good choice. The bacon was a bit ropey, but the little sausages were nice. The toaster was a little rotary one and took for ever, which caused big queues. The layout of the self service was poor and very restrictive and tended to look like a bun fight at times. The problem was that there was only the one dining room for the two hotels, although there seemed plenty of tables there was very little room for the food.
The indoor pool was closed as it only opens in the winter, but the weather wasn’t good enough to use the outdoor roof pool, so no swimming. The only bar was small and didn’t look very nice and had people singing very loudly in such a small place. We didn’t bother.
A previous writer said ‘Cara’s Café was the in place to be seen’, maybe because it was the only café within 10 minutes walking distance. It was just a café, nothing special and the staff, like the hotel desk staff, were miserable and had no conversation or smiles. In our case, no tips either. The snacks were the usual; if it was warm it was done in the microwave.
Eating out near the hotel was somewhat sparse. We went to three different restaurants including the one adjacent to the Plaza Regency side of the hotel. We both ordered a pasta dish and when it came it was undercooked, cold and had very little sauce with it. At 10 Euros a rip off. I sent them back and decided we would have a pizza each instead. It didn’t seem a problem for them, except a comment the waiter made that we don’t like pasta the way Italians do. I used to travel to Italy for work before I retired and if the Italians I knew had been served a dish like that they would have thrown it at them. I suggest you give it a miss.
Malta is a drab place, all the buildings are a similar colour, sandy brown, and generally the place looks like a tip. I have been twice before, once 10 years ago and the other 35 years ago, so we knew what the place was like. The big difference is that there are more hotels and more cars, not very picturesque at all. On the whole it was a break from England and it made a nice change. Fortunately the holiday was cheap, booked a week before we went. I would have been really upset if I’d paid full whack
The hotel is supposed to be classed as a three star; I would put it somewhere between one and two. I probably will try a better hotel if I go again.

Room Tip: Don't choose 104
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple