“Favorite place in Malta”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Il Cantiniere Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ranked #126 of 192 Restaurants in Sliema
Cuisines: Italian
Kiel
“Favorite place in Malta”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We visited it 3 times during our Malta holidays with our children, my husband is a wine drinking man and he thinks that wines are the best.....thank you for your service

Visited August 2011

Crewkerne, Somerset
“Dreadful!”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

The place was nearly empty but as it was fairly early, we weren't concerned. We were shown to a table upstairs, overlooking the harbour, by a waiter who was very sweet and seemed to be trying very hard to be helpful. As we walked through the seating areas we passed two sets of tables, one downstairs & one up, which had been laid out with a cold buffet. This turned out to be the buffet starter. None of the food was covered and the tables were placed right where customers would pass close by them every time anyone wanted to visit the toilets. I noticed one young man, presumably a friend, who came upstairs, went into the upstairs kitchen for a chat and picked up a couple of items from the buffet and popped them in his mouth as he passed. No tongs used and not even a customer! We steered clear of the buffet. As the menu was entirely in Italian with no English translation, we had to rely on our waiter's somewhat shaky translation and our own knowledge of Italian food. We ordered a starter of cheese & tomato with a few bruscetta, to be fair it was tasty. However, the white wine we ordered wasn't chilled but at least the water was.
I ordered a green salad with my main course and was really disappointed to be served a square plate with a few bits of chopped iceberg lettuce on it, which were going a bit brown round the edges, and no dressing. I called the waiter to explain that this was not what I expected for a green salad and he was very sorry & took it back to the kitchen. Some time later as I was nearly finishing my main course he came back with the same plate, this time with a few rocket leaves thrown on top of the browning iceberg. Needless to say I refused and decided to eat the garnish on my main plate instead. However, on closer inspection the lettuce had black insect spots on it and as I looked, a small bug crawled out from under it and started to walk round the edge of my plate. At this point the "manager" came to our table to ask what the problem was. I explained about the so-called green salad & he seemed surprised that I wanted something other than slightly old lettuce. He left the table without an apology to go back to chat to his friends downstairs. As we left (very soon after) we went to pay the bill for what we had eaten and were told that they did not take cards of any type. There had been no notice to this effect anywhere, even on the menu. We paid them what cash we had on us and left. The overall impression we got was of young people running a restaurant without the benefit of good, if any, professional training or experience. This was definitely the worst meal of our entire stay in Malta where, even from street kiosks, we had found the food to be of a really good standard. Now we know why it was empty.

• Visited March 2012