“Don't take any notice of the moaners.”
Review of Fortina Spa Resort

Fortina Spa Resort
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reading, United Kingdom
“Don't take any notice of the moaners.”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I really don't understand some of the adverse comments about this hotel. I read some before my week's stay in October. They naturally made me a little apprehensive but my fears, and the adverse comments, proved to be completely unfounded and I had a very enjoyable time.

Ignore the 'locally rated' bit; this is a 5 star hotel by anyone's standards. Our room was very large, and comfortable, as was the bathroom and the balcony overlooking the garden. The shower was perhaps the most outstanding feature; absolutely wonderful. The free WiFi worked brilliantly in the room at all times. In the basement there is a proper swimming pool which I used everyday.

It was clear that the restaurant staff in the 'Taste' restaurant were a little stretched some days at breakfast and lunchtime but you could not fault their effort. They were courteous and obliging at all times, as were the bar staff. We booked a restaurant for dinner on the previous day each time and had no trouble although we do like to eat early. I would especially recommend the Italian restaurant.

An extra bonus is the large shopping mall next door. They tell you not to drink the
local water so go to the supermarket there, where you can buy it really cheaply. When my swimming goggles broke as I was about to enter the pool one day, all I had to do was go to 'Italian Sport Fashion' there and get some new ones. It was all very convenient.

I personally believe that some people go on holiday determined to find fault with everything and a lot of them come on here afterwards in an effort to spread the misery. They are the same people who expect their luggage to be waiting for them on the carousel at the airport the minute they arrive. Who needs murals on the walls of a swimming pool for Heaven's sake?

Room Tip: The road at the front of the hotel is busy so conceivably there is traffic noise to be contended wit...
6 Thank Ivor R
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Fortina Spa Resort, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Ivor R,

Thank you for your posting. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Fortina Spa Resort and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Fortina Spa Resort team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Belper, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Just come back from a week where the weather was not brilliant. My husband was not well for the duration of our stay but fortunately we were in such a good location with pleasant surroundings so we were very comfortable.

The hotel is in good order but rather dated. I was also disappointed that the jacuzzi was not working throughout our stay however the spa facilities were very good. The indoor pool was warm but it was in a room with beige walls and nothing to look at so some interesting fresco work would improve the ambience.

We had a garden room overlooking the enclosed area with the pool, bar and restaurants which was a lovely area. The food is to die for and you can eat at any of the restaurants which includes a wide variety of styles like Thai, Japanese, Italian, etc. There are snacks at the bar throughout the day and all branded drinks are in the inclusive package.

The staff are polite and helpful.

The location is overlooking the bay with a new shopping centre next to the hotel. You are yards away from bus stops, including the island hop on hop off trips, as well as all the boat trips and the ferry to Valletta. In Silema there are all the top brand shops, M&S, Next, BHS, etc as well as in the capital. The boat trip round the harbour is a must.

We went with Saga and so we had the benefit of the Saga lounge as well. We met many couples that had been several times before and it was not difficult to see why.

Room Tip: All the rooms are individual so it is wise to mention any special requests such as walk in shower as...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sue R
Dear Sue R,

Thank you for your posting. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Skegness
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We have just had another 3 brilliant weeks at the Fortina Spa Hotel, made even better by good weather and the friendly Maltese people. It is also a real pleasure to be able to dine outside under the stars at the side of the garden pool, or have a pre- dinner drink on the island.

I read these reviews and marvel at what some people say about the Fortina Spa and frankly wonder if anything will make them happy or if they are "Professional moaners" - Listening to some complaints in the bar bordered on the farcical, and one day when it rained it was "Clearly the hotel's fault!"

Of course little things can go wrong anywhere and I know as I am someone who stays regularly on business in 5 star hotels across the UK with their cold buffet breakfast areas, dirty rooms, etc. For example, the lifts were going out of service for short periods quite a lot, but I understand that is in hand

The dine around "A la carte" facility is exceptional, especially in "Taste" and "an Tai" and whatever you want hot or cold is always available in Taste at breakfast time. The chefs will cook anything to order, including omelettes, fresh eggs etc. I even noted someone likened Taste to a canteen - utter rubbish.

One visit, some 3 years ago there was a bit of an attitude issue with one of the receptionists, soon sorted, and now they are very good, helpful, and enjoy a sense of humour with us. It does seem from my observations some guests treat them very badly, as if they are their personal servants - Uncalled for as they really try and demonstrates to me "Inverted snobbery"

A special mention is well deserved for Rita Sandra and Hedra (Might be spelt wrong) and Paul the manager, was always around to have a chat and listen to any problems.

I have no personal connection with the hotel or staff, but I was so annoyed at some of the remarks I wished to put the record straight - Richard Enderby

Room Tip: The Spa rooms are superb
4 Thank poacher16
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Fortina Spa Resort, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear poacher16,

Thank you for your lovely posting. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us once again. Thank you for your wonderful praise and special mention to Sandra, Rita, Henda and Paul. Your comments have been passed onto the Management.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed for a week, bed & breakfast, in this 5 star hotel. Our “Tower Sea View Room” had everything we wanted, 5 ft very comfortable bed, AC, TV, Mini-bar, armchairs, tea/coffee facilities, nice bathroom, bathrobes/slippers, but most especially a spacious veranda with beautiful views of Valetta, Malta’s capital city.

This hotel is mainly geared for adults, with children permitted only for limited holiday periods. We had breakfast every morning in Taste Restaurant in the poolside “tropical garden”. Waiter service is provided for tea/coffee and there is lots of good quality choice for cooked or cold breakfast. One great bonus is the availability of freshly cook eggs (any way you want it) at the bar that fronts the cooking area. Didn't rain very often, but when it did, the hotel provided umbrellas!

Our package allowed us the use of the indoor spa facilities on one occasion (after that, there was a charge of €18 per person per day). We used the spa one of the days when it rained heavily – with hydrotherapy pool, swimming pool, sauna, steam room and all manner of other water therapies, too varied to mention - all most enjoyable!

Every other day, we used the outdoor swimming pool in the 4 star Fortina Hotel, just 70 meters away. This sister hotel also has a gym, which I used every day, and an indoor heated swimming pool and whirlpool. These facilities provide stunning views of Valetta at the other side of the bay.

Fortina Spa Hotel is in an ideal location, close to bus routes (€7 gets you a weekly ticket to go anywhere on the island and Valetta is only 25 minutes by bus), ferries (to Valetta) and cruises around the island. An additional bonus is the Point Shopping Centre just around the corner and a good selection of restaurants and bars nearby in the opposite direction.

One minor irritation was the lifts, as one of the two serving our block was out of action for most of the week.

That being said, we really enjoyed our holiday and hope to come back for another stay at a future date.

1 Thank Suburban_Couple
Dear Suburban_Couple,

Thank you for your posting. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to the Fortina Spa Resort in the near future.

Msida, Malta
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend wanted to take a relaxing weekend off and found a deal for 2 nights at €100 for a garden view room on a half board basis. However, once we got to the reception we were notified that we got an upgrade to a SPA room which I had not idea what it was. It turned out to be a room with a jacuzzi in the bedroom, a jacuzzi in the big verandah, as well as a jacuzzi in the bathroom. We also had a sauna room and a tanning machine in the bathroom!!

The housekeeper came also at dinner to make our room!

Moreover, the food at Moroboshi was definitely not 5 star and the menu was very limited for 5 star hotel guests. I would definitely not return. However, we enjoyed a lovely meal at the Can Thai which was amazing.

Breakfast at Taste restaurant was also very good. Try the omlette ;) yumm

Room Tip: The SPA room was very luxurious (expensive as well) and a must do once in your life :)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angelised
Dear Angelised,

Thank you for your posting. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in a Spa Bedroom and enjoyed the facilities available in the room. We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal in Can Thai Restaurant. Please be assured that your comments regarding Moroboshi have been well noted and passed onto the Manager of that Restaurant.

We hope to welcome you to the Fortina Spa Resort in the near future.

Attard, Malta
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Had purchased a great gift package which consisted of spending the day at the spa with lunch and a massage included for me and my girlfriend. The people were very nice and polite and luckily there weren't many people in the spa so you felt secluded. There were so many different things to do at the spa, I was impressed. Even the jacuzzi was bigger than any other I have been in.

We didn't order any fancy food but it was very delicious but luckily I had small change on me because the drinks were not included in the package which I had purchased and I was not told

The massage was very very relaxing with relaxing music in the background.We both had a massage at the same time in the same room.

Only thing that bothered me was before we had to end the day we decided to stay in the jacuzzi again and for the first 5 mins we were alone but then another couple got in with us. Nothing bad there but once they got comfortable they got very physical with each other, the girl even removed her bikini top. I found it very disrespectful. I mean the jacuzzi is that big that they couldn't see the opposite side were we where but thankful it was big enough to ignore them and me and my girlfriend stay talking.

I would recommend this place very very much for the spa to go with a love one. But do your research and try find a day when there will be less people.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Fortina Spa Resort, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Adrian S,

Thank you for your posting. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience in our Spa and enjoyed dining in our Restaurant. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the other couple in the Jacuzzi. All clients are requested to wear bathing suits when making use of the Spa Santé.

We hope to welcome you back to the Fortina in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed all inclusive in the 5 star spa. Our room was tired as were most of the public spaces, and the umbrellas and cushions around the pool which has a view to die for of Valetta were really only fit to be put in a dustbin. We had a choice of6/7 restaurants to eat in in the evening, but you had to book 3 days in advance and the most popular ones were almost impossible to get unless you were prepared to eat early or late. I think more expensive rooms were being given priority. The situation of the hotel is perfect, with easy access by ferry or boat to Valletta and the whole island. There is also a large shopping mall just around the corner. The average age of the guests was well over 60, but this may be because it was October.
I am not sure if I would stay here again or not.

2 Thank Marion A
TheFortina, Guest Relations Manager at Fortina Spa Resort, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Marion A,

Thank you for your posting. Please be assured that your comments have been passed onto all those concerned for action to be taken accordingly.

Fortina Spa Resort team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Palace
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 32 in Saint Julian's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,474 reviews

Been to Fortina Spa Resort? Share your experiences!