“Cosy, cool and ... coming back :)”
Review of Corner Hostel

and 1 more site!
Corner Hostel
Ranked #4 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Sliema
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I'm not a fan of hostel or basic lodging, but I've got to admit that James and his team have a good thing going here. Stayed in room 12, basic room with own bathroom and even a small seaview if you look out the window the right way ;) Seriously, this is more than a hostel. Quiet, central, very accessible location. They will help you with special requests and provide info on the country if asked. Good job team!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

After a wonderful 4-week stay last summer and a brief visit in October it was great to be back again for another 2-week stay. The atmosphere is great, the staff is very friendly and extremely helpful, and the hostel is clean and tidy.

Its location is ideal. The bus stop down the street is a good starting point to travel the island(s) and when you return at the end of the day there are loads of nice restaurants (walking distance) to choose from to finish your lovely day. On a lazy day just wander down the street and you'll find the beach (and sea) waiting for you.

The corner shop across the street is not only convenient, they sell almost everything, but the owners are very friendly.

The Corner Hostel is my home away from home when in Malta and I'll be back, most definitely.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Marlous1977
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Very good facilities, clean, well organized hostel. Recommended! Roomy lockers. Everything you would expect from a hostel. Helpful staff. You name it. Great location, close to the waterfront. Stores, shops.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Alex B
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Very friendly and accommodating staff. Rooms were spotlessly clean and location was very convenient. Only downsides were the internet only worked downstairs and the bathrooms were separate from the rooms (although they were also very very clean and nice).

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Very Good and helpful staff - this is a really good value for the price and the hotel has a very good location in Sliema near everythin -- free wifi

everything you need is available in the kitchen too

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
James M, Owner at Corner Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your honest feedback and we are glad you had a wonderful stay. we look forward to having you with us again next time.

Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

I stayed only 2 days in this hostel, the first and my last day. Staff are friendly when exchanging emails before I arrived and gave clear instruction to where the hostel is.

However, there is no sign outside the building to make it notifiable that it is a hostel. When I got there and would like to get in touch with my friends there via Facebook. However, there is no wifi in the room and the wifi at the common area was so weak that I can't even able to connect to Facebook messenger.

I personally find it unreasonable and strange to restrict the check-in time before 10:30pm. What if I'm having a late flight? Then no one would be at the reception checking me in?

Also, I had a friend who wanted to help me with my luggage to the 2nd floor but he was stopped by one of the receptionists and said no entry is permitted for him. I think it is normal to set the rule that non-guest should not enter the room area to protect their guests or cause any distribance. The receptionist could have explained to me patiently on that, instead, he just kept shaking his head while talking to others on the phone and said that there is an elevator and that I don't need my friend's help at all.

While I was struggling with my luggage in the elevator, another receptionist came and asked what time my flight would be the next day. They didn't give me a minute of break to settle myself down and kept asking questions and telling me restrictions.

I stared at him and showed him an annoying face. He immediately waived his hands up and said he just wanted to let me know the check-out time is 11am. Why didn't he just say so at the beginning but asking my flight time instead? If my flight time is later than that, would they change the check-out time?

I know this is personal but I didn't really enjoy my stay there.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Tracy S

Dear Tracy,

Whilst we appreciate your feedback, we find it very unreasonable to give this feedback without giving the full picture.

We have been very understanding of your needs all along the way, cancelled your nights of your stay (after plenty of emails exchanged), gave you plenty of tips and have been helpful before as well as throughout your stay.

We do have rules at the hostel, one of which is that check-in is until 22:00, as reception is closing at 22:30. Indeed this is a hostel and we do not have a 24 hour reception. In case of late arrivals we have other options, including a pick-up service as well as key collection.

In the case of your friend, as you well said, for the safety of our guests and our place, we do not allow visitors to enter the rooms. We are lucky to have an elevator in place and this eliminates the problem of having to carry luggage up the stairs. Those who ask if they can be assisted are always allowed, however guests would not be allowed to take visitors without permission, as was your case.

Whilst we acknowledge that this is a personal review, and we appreciate your feedback, we assure you that we treat guests equally and with a professional service as can be seen from the plenty of reviews above and below yours.

We thank you once again for staying with us.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We stayed in the girls dorm and it was as comfy and cozy. Everything was spotless and the beds were perfect. James arranged everything for us, with a perfect pick up service, and even waited for our late arrival to give us all the guidance needed. The location is also the best, walking distance from everything and just one block from the sea. I would totally go back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends