“You get what you pay for.”
Review of Park Hotel

Park Hotel
Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Firstly let me say that I booked this hotel in error, was on low cost holidays site and was convinced I'd clicked onto 'The Palace' in Sliema and made the booking, on checking through I realised my booking was for the Park. Tried to change booking to the Palace but no rooms left through low cost hols and would have lost virtually full amount I'd paid to cancel (lesson learnt don't get trigger-happy online). Decided we would have to grin and bear it, so how does the Park sum up.

At the price you pay for this hotel you have to know its not going to be 4*.

I emailed ahead and requested a high floor with a side sea view, and that's what we got, the hotel also responded to other queries by email.

LOCATION - you cannot fault the location it is excellent, you are approx 50 metres from the promenade which is lovely and has regular buses going to Valetta, St Julian and further up the island, because its more or less on a peninsula its only about a 10 minute walk up and over top of brow and you are then on the Tigne seafront which looks over to Valetta.

ROOM - was a standard size, it was clean and the beds (2 singles pushed together) were firm but comfortable. Towels were fine (we din't have any threadbare ones as others have said). As stated kettle but no coffee or tea, however we always take our own coffee and tea bags anyway. Fridge standard minibar size, but shelves came out so could accommodate larger bottles, no problem in getting glasses from the bar. The balcony was tiny and could just about accommodate the 2 plastic sun chairs. Points lost as these obviously hadn't been cleaned since the end of summer season, fortunately I always carry a large pack of baby wipes so able to wipe them down. (as other reviews have said its a narrow street and balconies close to those over the road).

RESTAURANT - firstly they need to get the fabric upholstery of the dining chairs cleaned they were badly stained. The breakfast while not brilliant will suffice to keep you going till lunch, but don't expect to be able to fill up on it to last til dinner. Can't comment on food on an evening,
but a couple of times during our stay we ordered sandwiches when we got back in mid afternoon, they were fine and very good value as you get sandwich, side salad and crisps for 2 euro.

LOUNGE - its adequate but not a place you would want to linger over drinks chatting to people.
I hate to say it the nicest most up to date part of this hotel were the toilets in the lounge area, if only the rest of the hotel was the same.

INDOOR SWIMMING POOL AREA - I will put it bluntly, it is downright filthy, there is a black scum mark on the tiles above the waterline that must be about 4/6" deep, the water in the whirlpool is hot but its cloudy and there were dead flies in it. The floor surrounding the pool area is dirty,
we spent 5 minutes in total down there and I felt as if my skin had a slimy film on it. Went straight back to room and showered. I enquired at hotel reception if it was under separate management and was told it was therefore open to non-residents. I was told my complaint would be passed to hotel manager, all I can say is venture there at your own risk.
The outdoor pool was not in use, but it would have been nice if they had some table and chairs out up there as that appears to be the only outside space the hotel possesses.

CLIENTS - during our week at the hotel there were 2 large parties of school children staying there probably about 50 in each group, they were not a problem but it was generally noisy and chaotic if you went down to breakfast at the same time as them.

STAFF - the staff were a credit to the hotel, they were very friendly and helpful at all times.

SUMMARY - if you are looking for a clean room in a very good location at a very cheap price
then this could be an excellent choice, but if you want luxury then look else.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Viv50
There are newer reviews for Park Hotel

Reviewed March 15, 2013

i read many reviews about this hotel and was about to book another hotel but what convinced me to finalize my reservation at the park hotel were the location and the best price as compared to the other hotels of the same category i found through tripadvisor. other than these two points, i didn't have any other expectation of the hotel or i'll just get disappointed.
park hotel is only a 30-45 minute bus ride, X2, from the airport, chalet bus stop (behind preluna hotel & spa); walking distance to the point mall and bisazza street (shopping street); not a sea view hotel but the promenade is a short 3-5 minute walk. a supermarket is about a block behind the hotel.
we must have been lucky with our clean, average-sized room on the 4th floor which had a small balcony. the chambermaid mopped the floor, changed the towels, scrubbed the bathtub and wiped the bathroom sink everyday. the bedsheets were not changed during our 5 day stay. our twin beds were comfortable although the pillows were too soft and flat.
the tv was tiny like 16" that had 2-3 english channels and 4-5 other foreign stations. the bathroom has a hair dryer and basic toiletries. there was enough space for one medium sized suitcase and a closet about 50cm wide plus drawers and extra pillows and blankets.
the breakfast buffet had a selection of bread and cereals. the coffee and juice vending machines were ok with me. one could order fried/scrambled/over easy,.. and they will cook them. i loved the freshly made pure or strawberry yoghurt. be careful with the cold cuts and cheese as they were not replenished every morning. bacon and sausage were definitely straight from the pan.
the staff at the reception were also friendly and helpful.
as a whole, the bad reviews helped me what to watch out for. whether it is a 3 or a 4 star hotel, we were fortunate not to encounter any problem.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank supaclass
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We had 10 days at the Park hotel using Belleair travel company, we thought we were on a dine around basis but found we had half board at the park only, we would not have chosen this after reading other reviews on this site. The food leaves a lot to be desired, the breakfast coffee is completely undrinkable, and we ate an awful lot of cheese & crackers as these were often the best thing on the evening menu. Having said this, the staff were lovely, our room was not bad - small flat screen tv (only 4 channels in English) beds ok, small balcony - yes the road was narrow so the properties facing us were close but we were expecting that and we did have a net curtain so could have some natural light come in. The jacuzzi was hot and we had it to ourselves, there is also a gym which did not seem at all busy. I agree with others that it is not what most of us would call 4*, but it is clean and comfortable just let down by the food.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paukei
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Park Hotel may be 4 star by Maltese tourism standards, but perhaps that just shows the lack of international standardisation of the starring system. If you plan to stay at this hotel, expect it to be reasonable but not up to what most of us would anticipate from 4 stars. We were able to check in early, and the desk service was efficient and friendly (reception staff were very helpful throughout our 7-day stay); but our large triple room was distinctly unwelcoming – so bare and cold until we had scattered all our stuff around, and bought some emergency snack supplies. Kettle, cups and saucers were provided – but no tea/coffee and not even any teaspoons (there seemed to be none in the restaurant, either! I ended up buying some plastic ones in the supermarket nearby). There was a battered old fridge - but absolutely nothing in it, not even a bottle of water. There was a tiny old TV, but I had to sort out the aerial before we could use it. There was a small balcony, but to have any privacy in the room curtains had to be kept closed because of neighbouring buildings in the narrow street (a net curtain would have helped). The AC/heater seemed to have a mind of its own so we gave up trying to use it. The kettle was temperamental and slightly faulty, as was the light activation slot for the room key just inside the door – only our daughter managed to master that one! Some bathroom fittings were loose, but fortunately everything worked, and everything was clean. Beds were reasonably comfortable. Some housekeeping staff were pretty miserable (perhaps having to work over New Year), and didn’t consider washing up three cups and saucers as part of their room-tidying duties. Free wi-fi was provided in most restaurants we visited – so why not for people staying in this hotel? Maybe I am nit-picking a bit, and once we had lowered our general expectations, we were quite able to put up with the inconveniences of the room.

The standard and choice of the breakfast buffet was just about average, but didn’t encourage us to try any dinners there, with so many excellent eating places in the local area. Instructions like ‘press only once’ on the juice machine - which is set so that you get only half a small glass of juice! – are not going to endear many visitors to the hotel, especially when the resulting juice tastes more like water. Why no pork sausages on the menu? And why was most of the bread not fresh?

On the bright side, the location in Sliema is excellent, not for tourist sites but for eating places, shopping, the Sliema Ferry area, the promenade, and for getting the bus anywhere (buy yourself a day/week ticket for Arriva buses!). The small indoor pool was pleasant (and cool!), and we enjoyed the Jacuzzi. There is also a fitness room and Chinese massage service. If you can get a 3-star price, it is probably worth staying here, but at high season prices there are likely to be other places in the area offering better value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank DesRB
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Here are the quick pros & cons about this hotel: (if you want to read more, see below):

Pros:
Location (great!)
Service (excellent!)
almost all rooms had a balcony
rooms were spacious

Cons:
run down facilities
run down rooms
no view unless you book the highest floor or a sea view
At least 1 (out of 2) elevators were out of service every day
no free wifi

First, let me start by saying that Malta is amazing! This little tiny island has so much to offer, which can't even be done within a 5 day stay.

I stayed here with friends as part of a tour group, which likes to claim this as a 4 star hotel. Perhaps 30 years ago, this hotel was a 4 star, but their facilities are run down, the indoor pool was cold, the TV kept changing between black & white and color, and the rooms had a lot of dust on the air conditioning/heating vent.

I first was put into a room where the bathroom light was broken, there was a thick layer of dust by the air conditioning vent and the view was of a wall. I called down to the front desk and the nice receptionist immediately called in a technician to try and fix the problem. After about 15 minutes of him working on it and it not being solved, I asked her to switch our room, and she switched us to a partial "sea view room" at no extra cost, which was very kind on her part. This room was much better, though again, the TV did not work and kept switching from black and white to color.

I tried the pool one day, and while the jacuzzi was warm (though the water level was low), the "heated" indoor pool was very cold and the heat was not on. One of the guests who also wanted to swim but couldn't, told me that the other day, the pool was much warmer, so perhaps I just swam on a day the heater broke.

Also, the wifi was not complimentary...I feel 4 star hotels should have free wifi!

As one reviewer put it: "they tried hard" and I agree. The service was very good (or dare I say it, excellent). Every time we needed something, it was taken care of within 5 minutes.

The breakfast was fine and I could find something to eat each morning (I'm a vegetarian). The fruit in the basket however, was rotten every morning except our first morning.

If I got a much better deal, I would stay here again, but I would advise you that if you want an "actual" 4 star, to go to the Preluna which is less than a block away.

Room Tip: try to get the sea view rooms (304/305/306, 404/405/406, etc.) if you can, or book a high floor, but...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank RadioMimi
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The Park Hotel is well placed and convenient and certainly cheap. The staff are friendly and really try hard to make you welcome- it is clean and offers many good extras: indoor and outdoor pools, hot tub, gym, sauna, massage- but, although it was obviously built as a 4 star hotel, it has since gone down the "budget, package" market and therefore offers cheap, value holidays to varying groups. Breakfast was very mediocre and we didn't try an evening meal; we have enjoyed our week here but, with the best will in the world, it is not 4 star!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rossholme
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Medium standard hotel. Could use some renovation, but still good value for the money. The best thing about the hotel was its location about 100m from the beach. Started each morning with a short swim before breakfast - Priceless!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends