“Thoroughly recommended ... just ask for Charles!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Victoria Hotel

The Victoria Hotel
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
London
“Thoroughly recommended ... just ask for Charles!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyable ten days here in early July: a firm 8/10 or 4.5/5.

My chief criticism is that we were had to return: the hotel could benefit from some kind of existentialist time-warp service, where guests weren't REALLY under the illusion they soon to departing from the dreary, drab shores of Great Britain.

From check-in, we enjoyed superb hospitality, friendliness and staff who appeared to genuinely enjoy their job. That's hard to come by in other destinations. A special mention goes to Charles, who epitomised the very best in the generous levy of Maltese friendliness upon it’s many tourists.

Malta - and it's bucolic sister, Gozo - is a terrific and surprisingly refined destination and one I shall anticipate returning to. Just don’t expect a surfeit of verdant greenery and undulating vistas - just as much as you should be grateful for the absence of chalky pasty-white British tourists across this lovely bigger-than-you-think island (save for noted resorts like Bugibba, which did, to the casual eye in passing, appear nice enough, though also appeared leaning the less refined) but DO expect; excellent home-grown (and home-made) grub, Sunkist weather, sublimely warm transparent sea (replete with the odd jellyfish, apparently), and a super-relaxed ambiance. Which, coming from the hype of London, was very, very welcome.

Back to The Victoria: OK, the rooms do merit European 4-star, and in British terminology, 3-star. The bed comfy, the bathrooms a little drab, the air condition strained and struggled to keep us the right side of cool during the hot season (it must be noted: Malta was suffering a heat wave and it was unusually hot), but the general ambiance of the hotel was wonderful. Even the dark corridors gave it an exclusive feel.

It should be emphasised, also, that the 5-star Palace hotel adjoins the Victoria, and that the facilities seem to be shared. I enjoyed the gymnasium (possibly the best view from a gym), relaxing in the (sadly not-so-quiet no-noise relaxation spa – note to staff: perhaps do a little more to gently “enforce” noticed noise levels), the mid-terrace pool and the mesmerising infinity pool on the top floor, which seem to service customers from both the Victoria, The Palace and the neighbouring Capula. Just wonderful. Not cheap, but worthwhile: top-notch service – thanks again ;)

The service at the Palace hotel was superb and we enjoyed many a (very late) evening sitting on the Terrance watching the lights of Valetta to one side, and the coast to the other. It really was beautiful. Aided, naturally, by the not inexpensive wine-list.

But perhaps the biggest compliment I can give the Victoria is the hospitality. You felt nothing was ever too much, and for the price we paid, it represented really great value.

We’ll definitely be returning. Let’s hope there’s a fan in the bedroom next time! ;-)

Room Tip: 4th floor, perfect if you're not a fan of elevators and power cuts
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

The Victoria is about 5mins walk from the sea front if you turn right out of the hotel & the same if you turn left twice for the shops & harbour. Our room had a small balcony (which gave us shade in the afternoon), was clean, spacious, with comfortable beds, plenty of storage & really good air conditioning. The bathroom was a good size, although there was a slight leak on the basin (sorted out within a very short time) it had everything we needed, was clean, bright & had a good shower. We were booked for breakfast only & I was a little disappointed with the limited choice of fresh fruit available. There was a good selection of cold meats, cheese, breads & salad items plus sausage, bacon, fried egg, 3 cereals. The pool area had a good number of sunbeds, plenty of shade & a nice bar for snacks & food. All the staff were very friendly & always said hello. I just liked the atmosphere, an ideal holiday hotel & have already recommended the Victoria to friends. We will be back!

2 Thank Joy061
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed at the Victoria hotel with my boyfriend from the 22nd to the 29th of July. We really enjoyed our stay and would definately recommend it. The hotel staff were really helpful and pleasant and nothing was ever an issue. They provided us with lots of information about the local area and details of public transport so we weren't always spending lots of money on taxi's. The hotel room decor is quite outdated, the room was perfectly fine and clean but it not very stylish. We didn't mind too much though.

If you fancy drinks in the evening you can go to the bar on the roof or the terrace bar. Terrace bar is definitely a cheaper option but the atmosphere isn't as good. However the roof bar can be a bit pricey. We bought wine though and had it on our balcony one or 2 evenings which was also nice. I would definitely recommend spending a saturday evening on the roof bar as you have amazing views of all the fireworks displays.

Lunches at the pool can work out expensive everyday and there isn't great choice so worth planning lunch somewhere else a few days. Overall we had a great holiday and I would definitely recommend it and would love to go back in the future.

Room Tip: 6th floor is the best as you won't have a balcony above yours so your balcony will get sunshine!
2 Thank AoifyC
Athenry, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Airport/Transfer- After reading many many reviews from various sites, myself and my girlfriend stayed in The Victoria for one week from the 19th July until 26th July. Before we departed we arranged via the Victoria Hotel for a private transfer from the airport to the hotel. The cost was €22. Very efficient and quick and the driver was at the airport with my name on a whiteboard as there were numerous other taxi drivers waiting at the arrivals gate.

Arrival/Reception- On arrival, Aris, at reception checked us in and gave us our Towel tokens which are required if you wish to use the hotel towels at the pools. He also informed us that we could purchase breakfast vouchers at a discounted price of €6.50(normally €11) per person per breakfast. We bought 2 vouchers each as we didn't think we'd be up for too many breakfasts (7.30am-10am). Aris also presented us with a 2 for 1 cocktails token whcih we could use at the Terrace Bar from 7pm - 9pm every evening. Finally we got our room key (Room 212).

The Room- When we first entered the room we were pleasantly surprised. Nice king size bed albeit 2 single beds pushed together with 2 duvet covers. Standard TV, Air-Con and Standard Clean bathroom. We dropped off our bags and made our way up to the 9th floor for drinks. €13 for 2 cocktails was pricey but this was at 10pm so the 2 for 1 offer was over. When we went back to the room I had a shower and when i got out was shocked to see that the floor of the bathroom was covered in water. There was a small hole at the bottom of the glass panel that usually prevents water from spraying onto the floor. So for the whole week our bathroom floor was pretty wet after each time we showered.That night i did not get much sleep as the Air Con was humming away all night. Even with that the air was not all that cool. The next morning i rang reception and within a few minutes a maintenance guy called to the room and showed me how to turn it off via a switch that was located above the ceiling panel. So each day when we woke we turned it back on and before going to bed we were able to switch it off ourselves.

The Pools & Other Facilities:
There are 3 pools in the complex. One indoor pool which is very nice and cool during the day. A smaller outdoor pool on level 8 where the Terrace Bar is open at night and another much larger pool on Level 9 which is shared with residents from the Palace Hotel. We never used the larger pool as it was always quite busy and virtually impossible to get sun loungers. Saying that we were quite content with the smaller pool as there was most times sun loungers available. There is also a Gym which looked well equipped with Sauna and Steam Room.

Bars:
As previously mentioned there is the Terrace Bar located on level 8. There is another bar on level 9 but i'm not sure if this is also part of the Terrace bar. 2 for 1 cocktails were pretty good although 1 night there was no Mojitos available as the was no rum left. Why the bar man didn't go and get another bottle from the other bar I don't know!! The Penny Black bar located on the ground level was closed for the summer months but they did have to open it as due to windy conditions on the Terrace bar they had to relocate to ground bar.

Food:
Breakfast was decent enough. Plenty of fruit/pastries and hot food(sausages, rashers, scrambled egg etc). It did get pretty busy 1 morning and we were waiting for approx 15mins to get a table for 2.
Pasta Night: Every Wednesday and Sunday the hotel run a pasta night. It costs €10.50(i think) for a 3 course buffet-style dinner. Starter was mushroom soup, followed by a choice of 3 pasta dishes which were all very nice. Dessert was a blackforest type cake with some mini apple pastries. All in all it was very nice.
We went to The Palace Hotel for dinner one night and all we can say is WOW. Huge portions. BBQ ribs were devine!!

Other:
TV selection of English channels was pretty poor. Discovery Channel, CNN news, BBC News, Euro News was all that we could watch.
Internet: Didn't use this as as far as i was aware there was a daily/weekly charge. Sailsbury Arms pub just down from the hotel had free wifi.
Transfers/Taxi can be booked at reception. 1 night we ordered a taxi to St.Julians and it cost €14 with AX taxis( the firm that the hotel uses for all its Transfers/Taxiing). To get back we flagged down a White taxi in St.Julians and it only cost €10!! Airport transfer back was €22.
Air Con isn't the best in the rooms, no way of turning it off unless you get on a chair/stool lift up a ceiling panel and press a switch to turn it off yourself.

Location: Very good location. 5-10 minute walk downhill to the bars/restaurants on the Sliema waterfront. Tough enough on the way back up though! Victoria is located around the corner from the Palace hotel.
Our local pub for the week in Sliema was the Salisbury Arms is just 3 or 4 doors down. George the owner is the most friendly barman around. Probably made our holiday!! Lovely pints of Cisk pronounced Chisk and big breakfasts. Def a must if your staying in The Victoria or Palace Hotels.

Overall: Definitely not a 4 star hotel room. Facilities/Services/Reception are 4 star. We had a great holiday all in all. A few boat trips, hop on hop off bus, shopping at Tigne Point, plenty of sun and very relaxing at the same time.
Would recommend the Victoria hotel but shop around for best prices. We booked the hotel with Aer Lingus.com and got a good rate of €74 per night.

Room Tip: Room 212 could do with 1: New Carpets, 2: Leakproof shower/bath
1 Thank coggy
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

A really nice hotel. Rooms, while a little dated in decor, were spacious, clean, tidy and kept that way by an efficient housekeeping staff. A short walk to either side of the Sliema peninsula, close to shops, bars and some great restaurants. All staff are extremely welcoming and happy to help in any way they can. The facilities, including 2 pools and a workout area are a nice bonus. Would be very happy to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jon N
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Spent a week in a junior suite - interesting layout of the room, but nicely presented. Great indoor pool. The shared pool on the roof was fabulous.
Downsides - the bar in the lobby was never open and the terrace bar had a limited range of drinks - that were clearly vible in the lobby bar!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the blue decor
Augsburg, Bayern, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Well, here I am again! I know, I wrote in March this year that I may return to The Victoria sometime in September. But, here I am in again already in July. After another lengthy spell in Melbourne I decided that I wanted to revisit Malta now. I just wanted to breathe again the friendliness of the environment of The Victoria, its people, its ambience. So I packed my bags for another 8 days of relaxation and recharging of my batteries.
It was as before: the warm welcome by Charles Portelli, Front Office Manager. Lovely to be made welcome like a friend of the family. It felt like a second home coming back here. The room: clean, friendly, even newly renovated. On the first morning I flooded the bathroom due to an off-balance shower base: changed the room in an instance, no worries, all good. And my instant feedback for helping to keep The Victoria in pristine condition was appreciated by the hotel. I felt like part of the family to help to maintain the standard of quality.
Food: I did not share yet any feedback concerning the standard of the food offered by The Victoria, Salads, soups, deserts. Aaah, the sauces of the ever changing menu, finely balanced to fit the varieties of meals offered: lamb, fish, pork, the local vegetables. I delved into the sauces sometimes more than one would do otherwise. I just could not, did not want to let any of it go to waste. Yummy! I wrote down some of the menus to share them here, but I decide now otherwise – go try out their food in the evenings, even if you stay elsewhere. It’s a start anyway to find out about The Victoria.
What else? I enjoyed Valetta in particular, again; meandering through the local lanes, away from the hussle and bussle of the main attractions of Valetta, of which there are many. To take in the local atmosphere, the way people live, the local, often tiny shops tucked away in the base of their homes. No need to seek out the shopping malls or some fancy restaurant. I prefer to “go local”. To make contact with its people who run these small enterprises, stay and chat whilst they continue to go about their business. These impressions of everyday life I cherish usually more than spending my vacations in the enclosed environment of 5 star luxuries. Mind you, I have enjoined such holidays as well but here on Malta, this is the kind of holiday I now enjoy.
And all of this makes me look forward to return here – soon I hope!
Mr. Juergen Annuss

Room Tip: Try to score a room overlooking the Palazo Capua next door. Or any room overlooking the adjacent bui...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Juergen_A_1952
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Palace
Hotel Juliani
Hotel Juliani
#2 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,317 reviews

Been to The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!