“Here Again”

Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
Augsburg, Bayern, Germany
“Here Again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Well, here I am again! I know, I wrote in March this year that I may return to The Victoria sometime in September. But, here I am in again already in July. After another lengthy spell in Melbourne I decided that I wanted to revisit Malta now. I just wanted to breathe again the friendliness of the environment of The Victoria, its people, its ambience. So I packed my bags for another 8 days of relaxation and recharging of my batteries.
It was as before: the warm welcome by Charles Portelli, Front Office Manager. Lovely to be made welcome like a friend of the family. It felt like a second home coming back here. The room: clean, friendly, even newly renovated. On the first morning I flooded the bathroom due to an off-balance shower base: changed the room in an instance, no worries, all good. And my instant feedback for helping to keep The Victoria in pristine condition was appreciated by the hotel. I felt like part of the family to help to maintain the standard of quality.
Food: I did not share yet any feedback concerning the standard of the food offered by The Victoria, Salads, soups, deserts. Aaah, the sauces of the ever changing menu, finely balanced to fit the varieties of meals offered: lamb, fish, pork, the local vegetables. I delved into the sauces sometimes more than one would do otherwise. I just could not, did not want to let any of it go to waste. Yummy! I wrote down some of the menus to share them here, but I decide now otherwise – go try out their food in the evenings, even if you stay elsewhere. It’s a start anyway to find out about The Victoria.
What else? I enjoyed Valetta in particular, again; meandering through the local lanes, away from the hussle and bussle of the main attractions of Valetta, of which there are many. To take in the local atmosphere, the way people live, the local, often tiny shops tucked away in the base of their homes. No need to seek out the shopping malls or some fancy restaurant. I prefer to “go local”. To make contact with its people who run these small enterprises, stay and chat whilst they continue to go about their business. These impressions of everyday life I cherish usually more than spending my vacations in the enclosed environment of 5 star luxuries. Mind you, I have enjoined such holidays as well but here on Malta, this is the kind of holiday I now enjoy.
And all of this makes me look forward to return here – soon I hope!
Mr. Juergen Annuss

Room Tip: Try to score a room overlooking the Palazo Capua next door. Or any room overlooking the adjacent bui...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Juergen_A_1952

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We had a most pleasant time at the Victoria, from arriving at the airport, where hotel staff had arranged for a taxi to pick us up, to our check in at the hotel. Charles in particular and all the reception staff were very helpful and dealt very satisfactorily with any queries we had. The breakfasts were excellent and the hotel maids, particular Louise, were very efficient and helpful. When we were there the temperatures were in the 40s and the only criticism we would have is that the air conditioning in the rooms struggled a bit to keep us cool at night, but it wasn't a big problem. We would certainly book again and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor would be advisable, as the hotel is in a built up area and there are no vie...
Christ Church Parish, Barbados
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We have been to Malta for 5 days.
Day 1, we arrived at the airport and the hotel taxi came to pick us up and in about 20 minutes we arrived at the hotel. The gentleman at the reception was very kind, he gave us all the information we needed even in Italian. Once in the room we wanted to have a coffee but when I picked the kettle  it was full of mold. We called the reception to ask for a clean  one, an  hour later it was still  not deivered. We were in a triple room, the bed for the child had not been made, I told this to  reception, we went out at 5pm when we came back at 10pm the bed was still like that so the child had to sleep with us. I can confirm that the air conditioner is very weack, we had the thermostat at 16 degree the whole  time and my husband was sweating, actually it was fresher if we had the window open! The door did not have the safety lock so we slept with a chair at the back. Very kind of the receptionists to apoligize by giving us internet in the room for free.
Day 3 we were waiting for some friends to pick us up but 40 minutes later nothing yet, at some point the receptionist came to knock at the door so we realized that the phone was not working. We went out at about 11am, when we came back at 4pm the room had not been made and the cleaning ladies arrived at that exact moment so we went out of the room to allow them to work freely.
Day 4 we went out at noon and this time because I did not want to wait outside the room like the day before we put the "make the room" sign when we came back at 5pm the room had not been made, we went out again at 7pm and we said this to the reception, we came back at 10pm and the room had not been made, we complained to the manager which said that he could not do anything at that time. The day after the cleaning lady came to see us  she said that she did not do it because we put the "do not disturb" sign, I am 100% positive that we did not, I told my husband to put it and I double checked it before leaving the room, anyway this is a minor problem, the thing that upset me the most was the fact the she continued to say "no, it is not like this, you put the do not disturb sign".  From when is it acceptable that  hotel staff can answer like this.  By the way when I saw my friend the next evening she confirmed that when she came to knock at the door looking for us she saw the "make the room" sign.
Day 5, we received a complementary bottle of Maltease red wine, really appreciated and the day after at the check out they did not charge us the bottles of water and the phone call. Anyway the hotel is not a 4 stars, it berely reach 3. It is not very clean but it is central, 10 minutes walk from the seaside, the restaurants and the Sliema ferry. It has  potential but it is old, only the lobby is actually a four stars. We did not use the pool and the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Elafromaddis
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

A beautiful hotel. Immaculate, food excellent and staff could not be more helpful. A pleasure to stay here. Nothing was too much for the excellent staff. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Just spent 2 weeks in a junior suite in this great little hotel, centrally located near Valletta, Malta. Originally booked just 1 week, but extended for a long list of reasons. Now partnered with the adjoining 5 star Palace Hotel, Victoria Hotel guests can chose from 2 out door and 1 indoor pool, gym, scores of pool side lounges and shades, plus choice of restaurants and bars. Really excellent pool side fare, and exciting Asian fusion cuisine in a state of art chic bar and restaurant add a fabulous dimension to the more English-orientated menus in the traditional restaurants/cafes. Staff are excellent offering friendly service at all levels. Central location means you can walk within 5-10 minutes to any one of three popular areas: Chalet Sliema for beach BBQs, "Mint" - a cool Kiwi cafe with fab food and drinks, and diving into clean warm seas; St Julienne's for the cool bar and restaurant scene; and Sliema Ferries for shopping, ferries, tourist trips to any destination, and buses or water taxis for Valletta. Good value, great location and everything you need within a moment's reach. No fre wi-fi in room, but free wi-fi in the reception areas.

Room Tip: A variety of suites are available, including luxury suites in the adjoining Palacio.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

It was a most enjoyable place to stay. The staff are so friendly and extremely helpful. Nothing is too much trouble for them. Charles, Stuart and Matthew in reception, also Kurt, Peter and the chefs in the restaurant were extremely kind and helpful to me as I have a special dietary requirement. Others were just as helpful and friendly but sadly I do not know all their names The food is excellent. Both my husband and myself thoroughly enjoyed our stay We will certainly be going back again.

United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Victoria Hotel for 6 nights. The reception desk people are extremely helpful. Nothing seems to be too much bother for them. Our room was ready within 15 minutes of us arriving which was bfore normal check in time.

The bar was closed during our stay but they did open it to show the Wimbledon men's final. The outdoor swimming pool is small to say the least but as the Palace Hotel (a sister hotel) is joined to the Victoria Hotel you can use their pool and sun area which is fantastic. This is on floor 9.

The room was clean and spacious. We had a junior suite and it was nice to be able to sit and relax after a hectic day of sightseeing. The mini bar was empty but the fridge was turned on so we could keep water cold in it.

We had breakfast every day and have no complaints about that. The food was kept stocked up so that everything was always available. Dinner in the evening was a buffet and again this was very good and plentiful.

The hotel is situated in a very convenient location with a short walk, downhill, to the buses. There are restaurants close by which are good.

The only downside was that their air conditioning system or rather the use of it is very poor. Once we managed to get the setting to 16 degrees we found that it goes off unless you move around in the room. While we were there the temperature soared to 42 degress so this really wasn't very pleasant. They do not seem to run it at a comfortable tempertaure so everywhere you go you feel sticky or even dripping wet!. I did ask for a fan and they supplied one. To be honest without that we would probably not have been able to sleep at night because of the heat. The bed was huge and very comfortable.

Get the air conditioning right and this hotel would be even better than it is.

Room Tip: Junior suite has 2 balconies.
1 Thank LCPEN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Palace
Hotel Juliani
Hotel Juliani
#2 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,316 reviews

Been to The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!