“Chinese - maybe, Thai - no”

Can Thai at Fortina Spa Resort
Ranked #59 of 191 Restaurants in Sliema
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Munich
“Chinese - maybe, Thai - no”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Whilst sitting outside by the pool is very nice, the indoor part of the restaurant has the charme of a factory canteen. The service has no charme at all, is slow, not knowledgable and sluggish; definitely unworthy of a 4-star hotel. The Chinese dishes are quite authentic, but the Thai dishes have hardly anything in common with the real thing. The quality of the food is average and too expensive for what you get.

• Visited July 2012

Airdrie, United Kingdom
“Expensive non event!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Was visiting pool at Fortina spa with friends, decided to have lunch here, not the best decision! We had vouchers for 50% off food, just as well as I would have hated to pay full price. First off all the waitress, took her all her time to be civil, especially after we told her of the vouchers!! My son ordered red Thai curry and was served green, he had to wait little while for his correct order to come with very little apology, as we were sharing rice, the least they could have done was offer a fresh dish when his main eventually arrived. The starters were good, and the only way I would return was if I could have a selection of these as my meal. I chose half Peking duck, nothing wrong with food itself but lots of pancakes, spring onion ect. But hardly any duck, not great for €17.50! Setting was lovely by the side of the pool, but be warned it becomes a fly fest when food arrives. All in all glad I only paid half price, would be seriously aggrieved at paying full.

• Visited July 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Tasty but not as nice as Taste....”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

This restaurant is set by the pool in the garden area of the Fortina Hotel. A lovely setting. We mistakenly sat indoors, where the irritating cantonese music was on a very short loop!

The restarant serves both chinese and thai food. There was surprisingly quite a lot of choices for me. Mostly meats and fishes in different sauces - some gluten free and some could be made gluten free.

Over the course of my stay at the hotel, I tried the following:

Sizzling chicken in red wine sauce

Sizzling prawns in ginger

Pineapple Fried Rice

Chicken Pad Thai Noodles (rice noodles)

Chicken Satay

Everything was good but the chicken seemed low grade to me - quite watery. The chicken pad thai is my favourite dish from a thai restaurant in the UK but it wasn’t quite as flavourful or full of chicken - it was more of a side dish. It also came without lime and without peanuts on the top - disappointing.

My husband and I both liked the pineapple fried rice - would suggest you try it.

They seemed understanding of my allergy, so I give them a plus for that. Worth a visit.

Also - later in the week, we discovered that they also do takeaway- great.

Pictures and other gluten free / malta eateries are on my blog: http://glutenfreedelights.tumblr.com/

• Visited May 2012
Malta
“Pricey”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Nice atmosphere and good food but the portions are small and expensive.

• Visited June 2011
Island of Gozo, Malta
“Left still hungry”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We went as part of our "half board" package with our fortina stay. Food was not bad but did not like the service. Also, I could have eaten more if there was more food hehe. Overall, I would recommend it if it were part of the half board option when staying at the hotel but for outside guests it is way too expensive! At 27euro per person for an "outsider" that is too much money to pay to be left hungry at the end of the meal. But maybe we got smaller portions?

• Visited March 2012