“Easiest way to see Malta but lots to be improved!”

City Sightseeing Malta
Book In Advance
More Info
$22.91*
and up
Malta Shore Excursion: City Sightseeing Malta...
Ranked #27 of 30 Tours in Sliema
More attraction details
Owner description: Forming part of the World's Largest Open Top Sightseeing Tour Operator, CitySightseeing Malta offers a variety of hop-on hop-off tours around the Maltese islands including North & South Tours as well as Open Top Village Feast Tours where our clients can enjoy the traditional Mediterranean Fireworks displays on show every week between May and October.
Reviewed July 8, 2017

I'm a massive fan of the City Sightseeing buses. I think they're the best way to see the place you're visiting and find out a bit about the history, locals etc. Nonetheless, I was disappointed with the Malta service. First of all, the buses have a lot to answer for. They're very run down and could do with some TLC. The tickets are very confusing and it's not clear what your ticket entitles you to. I didn't appreciate getting my ticket from the rep before getting on the bus to then have my ticket completely scrutinised by the same lady during a spot check on the bus, 5 mins later. There are 2 tours - North and South. My husband and I did the North bus and it requires planning in advance of what you want to see as the route is so long that it's not easy to go back to one of the first stops on the route later in the day. The drivers seem a bit manic! They drove incredibly fast - at one point, the bus careered into a branch on the left hand side, resulting in a poor lady being whacked in the face. The driver didn't care and carried on. Top tip is to sit on an aisle seat! It was unclear which stop was what on the tour, even when listening to the commentary. A number of people missed stops and, as mentioned before, it's near on impossible to go back to a stop you've missed. The timings of the buses seemed random - the timetable provided means nothing as I don't think any bus we got was matching those times. There were numerous times when we had to get off the bus and get onto another one - not really sure why. The final straw was when we got the 2nd to last bus from Mdina, with the aim of seeing out the end of the route. Our driver stopped at the craft village (on a Sunday when everything was shut) for a cigarette. After getting back on the bus, we thought we'd be on our way...30 minutes later, and after the next sightseeing bus overtakes us, it turns out the driver is fast asleep!!! Not what you want when you're looking forward to getting back to your hotel after a long day (and with nothing to look at). Eventually the driver gets going again (taking a wrong turn along the way) and we then have to switch buses to the bus that overtook us. We then proceeded to wait another 20 minutes on this bus, while the driver had a cigarette and chatted on his phone. What should've taken about 30 mins, took 1 hour 30 to get back to our hotel. On the plus side, the bus did drop us back along the coastal road in Bugiba, where we were staying, so we didn't have to make our own way back. Not sure what the Malta Sightseeing bus is like but I would be tempted to use them next time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,280)

Reviewed July 7, 2017

The buses used are old, dirty, noisy and uncomfortable with no aircon for the enclosed area downstairs. And we seemed to spend more time either waiting at a stop or in traffic than actually going somewhere. So on a hot day, these buses are best avoided.

The commentary was amateurish and the drivers unfriendly. Not to mention the sharks trying to get bookings at the sliema base. All in all, it was horrible.

Reviewed July 5, 2017

Listen to the reviews and don't get this hop on hop off bus, there are several other companies that offer the same (but better) service. I always get a hop on hop off bus to get to know my surroundings and I usually get this company as well but I have to say, this is the worst hop on hop off bus I have ever been on.

There are 2 bus routes, the north route and the south route, the North route starts in Bugibba and honestly its a waste of time and money. We got on in Buggiba (outside the Topaz hotel) and it took almost 2 hours to get to Mdina due to the amount of hotel stops and the bus breaking down didn't help. Sitting in the sun for 2 hours in the scorching heat was unbearable so we moved downstairs which is not air conditioned and just as uncomfortable. We didn't get to do the South route as it would take 2 hours to get to the stop where you get the South route bus and that's just a waste of time!

The commentary is little to non existent. I didn't try the wifi so I cannot comment on that.

All the drivers need to be trained in customer service, they are extremely rude and unprofessional. When our first bus broke down, we were 1 stop from Mdina, the bus driver stopped for 20 minutes and after about 10 minutes in the ridiculously hot bus, someone asked what was going on, the bus driver snapped that the bus was broken down and he didn't know how long it would take, common courtesy would be to update your passengers so they could get out of the sun and stand outside the bus in the shade.

We wanted to go to the catacombs in Rabat after Mdina but had to wait a long time due to another bus that had broken down and would have had to rush the catacombs if we had gotten to them, we finally got on the bus and the bus driver missed the stop completely which we were extremely annoyed at. Myself and my sister were so fed up of the bus we decided to stay on it to just get back to the hotel (lots of people on the bus were fed up as well) however, the driver conveniently stopped at the glass factory for a 15 min wait which is not advertised and I guess they have friends there who they want to give business to. We were extremely unimpressed as it felt we were on the bus for the full day and only got to visit one spot. Anyone else we spoke to on the bus said they felt the same way.

Lastly, I would also like to state that the lady I spoke with on the phone when the bus didn't turn up at 5.15pm at the ferry port was another example of terrible customer service, I made 2 calls to her asking if the bus was ever going to arrive and both times she lied about the transport ( was it the open air bus or a small van) and when I asked what the ETA was she snapped at me saying "you just need to wait!". The bus finally pulled up at 5.50pm.

This is probably the longest review I have ever written. City Sightseeing Malta, I think you need to learn a lot from your Gozo company because they did an amazing tour and their customer service and professionalism was absolutely amazing. They need to give you lessons on how to actually run a hop on hop off bus well.

Save yourself and get the local buses which are €2 and full air conditioned.

Reviewed July 5, 2017

As a first-time visitor to Malta, I wanted a comprehensive tour of the island and to 'see it all'...so to speak.

So we went for this bus tour.

The tour is split into two sections - the north and south of the island. To do both, you need a whole day.

The northern part was a 3-hour plus journey - and we didn't even get off the bus! However, it was well worth the trip as it takes you through the capital city of Valletta, the craft village of Ta Qali, the old capital of Mdina, Golden Bay and the ex-pat Brits quarter of Bugibba. The southern island trip is the shorter tour where you will find the fishing village of Marsaxlokk and the Blue Grotto.

Sitting on the top deck of the bus is the best place to be as it gives you a decent view of stuff. However, it does get pretty hot, including the plastic seats. Thankfully, you can buy bottled water on the bus from the driver for 1€, which does help.

Like most bus tours, you can get on and off at the designated stops. There’s a 30-min wait for the next bus to come along though.

You can also plug in your headphones (given to you when you board the bus) and get a running commentary about each part of the island throughout the tour.

Malta is such a fascinating place and drenched in history, which stems back to Biblical-Christian times, The Romans, Arabs, Knights, European and British settlers.

I would never have known any of this if it wasn’t for the bus tour. It not only provided cultural context of the island and its people, but also offered great photo opportunities of the fabulous views Malta has to offer.

This tour is a must for every first-time visitor to Malta...for sure.