“Amazing pizza”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I heard that the pizza was delicious at La Cucina del Sole and they were right! Wonderfully made pizza crust with good quality ingredients. The service was excellent too, friendly and speedy. Can't wait for my next visit!

1  Thank zuccherowhite

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I visited La Cucina Del Sole a couple of times with my family; I had been there before when the restaurant was called Salini. Although both incarnations of the restaurant share the same breathtaking view of Valletta, that is where the similarities end. In its current guise this restaurant is aiming at a wider audience using Malta's best-loved dish – pizza.

The pizza here is very good. I opted for the Calzone Camorrista on both occasions. It is a semi-closed pizza which counts porcini mushrooms among its ingredients. The sophisticated flavour these add to the other well-chosen ingredients, coupled with the sheer size of the dish all added up to a very satisfying experience. Even though the pizza is on the wrong side of €10, I believe it to be worth paying for the quality of the ingredients.

My girlfriend ordered pasta, which she found to be on the oilier side of things. That's her fault, though, as she should have ordered pizza.

A note regarding the service: I have found it to be friendly, if a bit haphazard. Having proper staff training and management in place would surely improve the situation.

All things said, I shall probably return for the Calzone Camorrista. I just hope it's still there.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Enjoyed a great dinner with friends last Saturday. This was our first visit and I can vouch for all the good reviews Cucina del Sole has. We enjoyed a selection of their pizzas and pasta dishes. I personally had a Capricciosa; one of the best pizzas I have ever had, if not the best one! Ingredients are SO fresh and the dough is amazing!! We also enjoyed a bottle of Corvo at a reasonable price.

Our only let down was their signature closed pizza; my friend had it and unfortunately it was burnt all the way round.

Still, I cannot complain on anything else. Service was great, staff are all very friendly and seem to enjoy what they do. The view can't get any better and the over all ambiance is stunning.

Great restaurant, keep up the good work!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I don't know how people enjoyed this restaurant cause me and my husband were very disappointed. The table cloth was over used and with many holes in it, there was no welcoming bread and butter at the table, 2 of the items that we order it there were not available in the menu (one of them the moost popular Rose D'Anjou wine). We had the calamari rings that came on a thin layer of lettuce and the crochette of potatoes, served in no of 3 with a tiny bit of rucola..all for around 8.75euro (really not worth it). As a main course I had the vittel (a tiny slice under a thick layer of cooked aubergines) and my husband had the prime stirloin steak, chewy, hidden under a layer of rucola and some parmesan shavings. Everything came with only one portion of vegetables and potatoes, like for one portion meal.. not for 2. We spent 80 euros (including a bottle of sparkling wine, one small beer and one small water) and really not worth it... we were just 2 of us.
It's really pitty because the location is great, you can see the beautiful city of Valletta...

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I am seriously disappointed by this restaurant.

The view is stunning. But that is just about it.

My partner and I spent over an hour waiting for food to be served and when we finally attracted the attention of one of the waiters (long battle there as well, as I think it is seriously understaffed and not even one of the staff looked up to see whether their clients needed anything), she blamed the kitchen staff. No apologies offered whatsoever. 10 minutes later, we were being served.

The food is above average, but not exceptional. My partner and I both ate better elsewhere. Considering the prices paid (Eur11 for a pizza when I have eaten better for an average price of Eur8), I would expect something way better than that.

Paying was an issue as well. No apologies offered once again for the terrible service and upon GENUINLY asking whether parking was free since we ate there, she answered with a smirk that it actually was. Coming to think of it, it was the only plus to our visit there.

I am a person who does not mind paying that little bit extra to have a good service and an enjoyable experience. Sadly, I found none at La Cucina del Sole, and will think twice before going there again.