“Excellent Location In Malta”

Preluna Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
Derby, United Kingdom
“Excellent Location In Malta”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

We recently returned from a week's holiday at the Preluna Hotel in Sliema, Malta. I booked three sea view rooms, which were spotlessly clean. Although we were disappointed the outdoor pool was not yet open, we knew this was seasonal, at time of booking. We did make use of the indoor pool, however; which was quite adequate; as was the sun terrace on the eighth floor. Breakfasts were varied and plentiful, and the staff were all very pleasant; especially the bar staff. This was our first visit to Malta; which we loved. We made great use of the bus service; both to Valetta and elsewhere on the island - definitely no need to hire a car - and should we return, the Preluna would definitely be top of our list. My only slight criticism would be that we were not allocated refurbished rooms, which I had previously requested via e-mail.

Room Tip: Higher floor Sea View Rooms are quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

have just returned from this hotel,stayed for a week with my wife.Having travelled extensively throughout our forty years of marriage I can say with some degree of knowledge that this hotel is fine as a B&B stay hotel but not worth investing in "All inclusive" as this particular hotel as little or no concept of what constitutes an all inclusive stay.one of my mine concerns was the food service was very poor,one meat dish in some sort of gravy and one boiled fish dish does not constitute what I consider to be an all inclusive "spread".breakfast was the only meal that passed the test,lunch and the evening meals were very poor,with the only option being take it or leave it.

Room Tip: we paid extra,for a sea view ,however the noise from the street was horrendous even on the 5th floor...
1 Thank Acsrjjp
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

Just returned from my second visit this year to the Preluna Hotel (next/third visit in August). I have been coming to Malta and this hotel for the last ten years and would recommend them both highly for cost as well as quality. Irrespective of the 3/4 star status I have always found the staff to be friendly, polite and attentive to all their guests especially Manuel at the reception and you will not find a better location in Malta. The hotel is facing the seafront and a short five minute walk to Sliema shorefront where you can go on a harbour cruise or catch the ferry across the bay to Valletta. In the opposite direction is a nice walk into St Julians Bay and beyond.
I was on Half Board and the food is excellent. The breakfast caters for all choices, Pastries, Salami, Cheeses and Yogurts and Melons and other cold options alongside the Continental and English breakfast. The Buffet evening meals always had a great variety for all nationality of guests and again the waiting staff could not do enough for you. I'm unable to make any comment on the pool or Spa as I didn't use them but have spoken too fellow guests who were very happy with them both.
Sheets are changed twice a week with clean white towels, plus tea, coffee, milk and sugar daily. My only complaint is that the tea cups in the room are quite small whereas I am a mug person and the first thing I buy when I arrive is a cheap large mug for my tea. All in all a great hotel for the price and location and I look forward to August.

Room Tip: A little noisy at the lower levels but it shouldn't spoil your holiday. Get large mug!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Eur0sceptic
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

Have just returned from Malta and our 7th stay at the Preluna. Would certainly visit this again and recommend it to others. Staff are friendly and efficient although the staff in the dining room were not up to usual standard of efficiency as tables were left uncleared whilst guests were arriving for their meal to find no tables set and ready. This is not our usual experience. We recommend that you upgrade to seaview room as some of the inside rooms have no windows as they have no exterior walls. The seaview is well worth the extra. We took earplugs with us in case there was road noise during the night. The only downside is that there has been a lot of items stolen from outside the hotel (not inside) and the staff know about this but do not inform guests when they arrive. It would be appreciated if guests knew about it when they first arrive then they can be vigilant. We didn't know and on our first day I had my purse stolen and cards were accessed. Most of our holiday cash was taken and it spoilt our holiday.

Room Tip: Upgrade to seaview. Higher floors have good view from all sides so if not able to upgrade request r...
Arcos de la Frontera, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

I stayed for a couple of nights in March 2014 at the Pre Luna. The location overlooking the sea was perfect to be close to everything in Sliema. Firstly the reception staff were very friendly and helpful and I was given a complimentary glass of orange juice as I was checking in.
The hotel seemed modern enough on the ground floor level but it was a different story when I reached my room. I was at the back of the hotel facing a dirty back street and bottle bank (which got loudly emptied early in the mornings). The room was full of very old fashioned and dirty furniture and had lots of 1970's style wood panelling and yellowing plastic everywhere. The bathroom also needed some serious upgrading and modernisation. The buffet breakfast was OK but nothing special. Most of the guests were staying on various package holidays and in March that meant it was mostly senior citizens. This hotel would be fine for the older generation but I would not go back.

Room Tip: Insist on a sea view room even if it costs extra.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank JCinSpain
Cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Really pleased with the Preluna hotel, excellant position, food choice good and staff very helpfull. Looking a little tired in places but didn't detract from overall apperance. We did decide to upgrade to seaview and very pleased we did despite a rather noisy road but the view more than made up for it ! We watched the cruise liners sailing into Valletta and very cheap buses made it easy to get around the island to see all the sites. There was a bit of a problem with the 'touts' outside the hotel selling the timshare within the Preluna! But I think they got the message eventually !! Likewise there was a constant banter along the harbour front for harbour trips!! You become hardened after a couple of days to them all. There is a good walk along the sea front towatds st julians bay and onwards, quite enjoyable I found.

Room Tip: Stayed on second floor in room 2113 at end and above restaurant so no lift noise just road but not a...
1 Thank CornwallGilly
Nairobi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Enjoyed travelling to Malta. I went there for a friend's wedding and was a memorable trip. An amazing wedding destination!

I had taken very few warm clothes thinking it would be quite warm. But April still has the cold spells.

The Island is beautiful. People are relaxed.

The hotel is in a very good location but is definitely not a 4 Star hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger, Higher rooms are with better view (get ones facing the sea for a great view...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends