“re visit”

Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
cheshire
“re visit”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

second time at the preluna,when 4 years ago,stayed in the towers this time,food still good,staff very pleasant,rooms clean,loverly view,only one juccuzi on the sundeck.the rooms need up dating as furniture is a bit tatty and the room could do with a paint job,and new fridges needed.the entertainment wants a rethink too.but enjoyed it ,love malta.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank carrsCheshire
Preluna S, Director of Sales at Preluna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, we are pleased that you chose Preluna again for your stay in Malta, as mentioned below rooms are currently being refurbished and more will date done this winter.

We hope you will choose to stay with us again, please contact Christabelle if you do on crapinett@preluna.com and we will do our best to allocate a refurbished room.

The Preluna Management team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Treharris, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

After reading review by " qfina" I was dreading my holiday but as i had already booked to go with 3 friends I had no choice & how glad I was that we went. On arrival we were greeted by Martin with a smile & a real welcome, what an asset he is to the hotel. We were then given a glass of fruit drink while the porter took our luggage to our rooms.The room we were given was huge, more than big enough for 3 single beds, the only problem being there was no outside window but after ringing reception, we were offered a smaller room but with patio doors & a balcony which would have cost more than our room at no extra charge. This was all done immediately & with manners & a smile, again Martin being responsible, ( I dont think he ever goes home). We were on a B&B basis & what a breakfast we got!!!!!!!!!!! I defy anyone to expect more, There was everything including bacon, 3 kinds of eggs, tomatoes, beans etc plus cereals, yoghurt, fruit etc. The waiting staff were polite & friendly in dining room. Entertainment was ok, nothing too exciting, usually a singer or guitarists but fine as backgroung music while you sit on roof terrace with a drink enjoying the views . Rooms were very clean with towels & bedding changed regularly. The position of hotel was superb & having to cross road to pool was no hardship. It is central for sea front & shops & the bus stop is literally outside the door. I would recommend this hotel as it well deserves it,s 4 star rating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank chrjon11
Preluna S, Director of Sales at Preluna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, we are so pleased that we met your expectations of a 4* hotel, despite reading some negative reviews. We really do hope that you will return to the Preluna one day in the near future.
northumberland
Reviewed September 15, 2013

spent 2 weeks here again all staff very pleasant and helpfull. first thing was the welcome back from reception made us feel special. all staff very helpfull and chearful from reception, waiting staff, kitchen staff, cleaners, concierge everyone employed in the hotel. reception appologised for us not getting the requested room but hey seaview rooms are all great. hoping to go back next year or year after

Room Tip: giving it away but book seaview rooms from 5th floor upwards, great views over to valletta
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank busdriver_10
Preluna S, Director of Sales at Preluna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for choosing Preluna again for your stay in Malta. Unfortunately we can not guarantee room number requests but we are glad that you were happy in the room allocated. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon please email Christabelle on reservations@preluna.com when you decide to return.

Newport, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Just returned home on the 13 sept from a 10 night stay at the Preluna hotel this was our first time to Malta and loved it the hotel is in a perfect position a few niggles but on the whole fine things are looking a little tired and one of the lifts broke down the first night and not fixed until our last night could go on a bit more but you can always find fault in any hotel if you want but the main things were the food which was excellent nothing ever repeated we just can't fault the food and the rooms were fine in need of a makeover but lovely large room, we would stay in this hotel again if only for the position and food and we were very impressed with Malta.

Room Tip: Do have a sea view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Julie S
Thank you for your review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay in Malta and at The Preluna. As mentioned in previous posts have refurbished some rooms and are refurbishing another lot of rooms at the moment. We hope that you will return to The Preluna again in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 14, 2013

In a nutshell, this is a faded dump with awful food that happens to be in a great location. Staff were friendly enough, but do not compensate for the mobs of holiday package travelers and poor condition of the facilities.

I had a room on the "executive floor" (maybe by 1960's standards!) that at least had a nice view. Furniture and decor was faded and outdated, the ceiling fan made a horrendous squeaky noise, the bathroom had mold and the shaky closet was something I'd expect at a hostel.

Breakfast was tasteless and repetitive. Having to pay to use the in-room safe is NOT what I'd expect at a supposed 4* hotel. And the lobby area under the older part of the hotel absolutely REEKS of sushi/cheap japanese food, makes your stomach turn while waiting for the elevator.

I chose this hotel because of the location and, well, that was basically the only plus. Spend the extra $ to stay somewhere else and actually enjoy your holiday!!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, at least get a sea view and AVOID the older part of the hotel ("Preluna...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank globetrottergrl_44

Travelers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Spain
Reviewed September 13, 2013

What an atrocious hotel, let me start with arrival. I was 'greated' by a [I've had to edit the review, as the director of the hotel gets reviews removed if they are negative and in any way breaching the rules] rather unhelpful and dim fellow. After explaining the all inclusive features, he then proceeded to realise I wasn't actually all inclusive at all, so quickly retracted all bits of paper and explained I would actually be getting nothing but breakfast (as expected anyway).
I requested some toothpaste as her back home slapped my wrists when I tried to take the only tube left in the house, to which I was told no problem and to wait a moment.

Receptionist [edited of course!] then returned with a shaving kit, explaining that they didn't have any toothpaste but they did have this shaving kit. I was somewhat perplexed by this offering, and politely refused.

I then began my ascent to my room.

After waiting approximately 3 minutes for the elevator, it did eventually turn up with a handful of very old people looking somewhat confused. Nevertheless I entered the elevator and pressed 7 for my floor. After stopping at every single floor, and making space for yet more old people, none of which seemed to ever exit the elevator, I arrived to my floor, sweating and stinking of cramped up OAPs.

Upon opening the door to my sea view room, I was greated by what can only be described as Hyacinth Bucket's front room. Gaudy carpet, an interesting shade of dirt, completely clashing curtains and a bed spread suitable to what you would expect in solitary confinement.

I went for the mini bar first, which was empty, and second for WiFi.

WiFi did work, in the loosest sense of the term, download of 0.3Mbps, and an upload similar to just throwing your laptop out of the window. Frequent disconnections and an inability to actually view most webpages due to the speed made for a delightful experience.

Now the minibar I dared to ring my friend on reception about. I was told, as if its completely normal, that they don't fill up the minibars, because you instead need to request what you want on a piece of paper in the room. No such paper existed, OBVIOUSLY, so I kindly requested a bottle of water. The minibar is only stocked up in the mornings I was told, and as it was late at night, no shops were open either. I couldn't be bothered to spend another 10 minutes in an elevator full of dead people, so instead used the dirty glasses provided and filled up from the sink.

Night time.....3 options:

1. Cold
2. Hot
3. Just right, but with a fanfare of electrical and mechanical noises to accompany said temperature monitoring.

I opted for a combination of 1 and 2, waking every hour to switch to the alternative. This allowed me to wake in chirpy mood ready to see what breakfast held in store.

Incredible, no other word comes close to describing the fiasco I saw at breakfast. People so old they needed to shave by the time they crossed the room, bumbling around, once again utterly confused, while hundreds of overweight men and underweight women (nearly all surprisingly in tank tops) scurried around them darting in and out pecking at the bowls (I nearly wrote bowels, which probably would have described it better) like excited monkeys come feeding time on banana day.

I grabbed a bowl of cereal as everything else contained too many bodily fluids for my liking, which was of course utterly horrible, and then retreated, or attempted to retreat, to my room.

10 MINUTES of watching the elevator jump around every single floor except the ground, it eventually turned up. I'm certain several of the old people were still in it from the night before, desperately inserting and removing their cards and pressing all the buttons which explained the bizarre trip the elevator took on the display panel.

Returning to my room after stopping at every floor and looking at desperate people trying to squeeze into the coffin that was once an elevator, I felt a kind of fondness for my room. Like a small escape from the horrors that lay outside the door.

I packed up what I needed and headed out. Now before the elevator was bad, but this time good lord. I struck up conversation with a scarily young (about 55) chap who was also waiting on my floor. By the time the elevator arrived, I had agreed to attend his 40th wedding anniversary, had exchanged numbers and played several games of Monopoly.

Upon entering the elevator an incredible aroma of urine flooded over me. Concerned that someone had had an accident in the lift, and even more concerned that they were possibly still in the elevator, I held my breath, faced the front and prayed for a swift descent.

Ohhhhh noooo, not this journey it appeared. We literally went to the very top floor (13), stopping at every floor, squeezing tighter and tighter and moving closer and closer to the poor urinated person, no one leaving, but always more entering. By this point it was close to 45C in the elevator, one old lady had clearly passed out, but couldn't even collapse to the floor so instead stood in a sort of sideways lean propped up by other old people who simply leaned back for a rest.

I kid you not, 10 minutes later the doors opened and about 22 people fell out of the elevator. Several got back in, presumably still trying to find where they thought there were supposed to go, whilst the rest ran in a frantic panic for the revolving door (yes the revolving door was as entertaining as you can imagine for these people).

What more can I say really. I attempted room service tonight, the chap on the phone was nice enough and I ordered a meal for 23 euro. What turned up was a greasy pile of chicken legs, with pesto lobbed on top, some squelchy yellow things and various other horrors.

Oh one final point to note, I did eventually find a piece of paper in my room, just one sheet mind, with a pencil that had no lead in it. I carved a message into the paper asking for water in my minibar, and left it on display. Returning in the evening said paper was still in place, and minibar was still empty...of course I expected nothing less.

Overall this hotel is great, although only really great if you are on deaths door and scared of dying alone. Get into the elevator and you can be sure to die a death surrounded by like minded people probably there for the same reason you are. If however you want a hotel that offers basic hotel services, certainly look elsewhere.

Sorry if you don't like reviews that tell the truth "Mr Director of Preluna", but if you get this removed I will simply add it again, as people deserve to know how truly awful this hotel is.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
19 Thank CompostBadger
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

It was my first time in Malta with my partner, and I will be back again! The hotel is fabulously placed on the sea front, the views were incredible. The room on our floor was spacious and enough for our luggage xP

The restaurant is big and lovely, the staff were very attentive and the food was very well matched for the price and location. The lifts were a "game" in itself, but due to maintenance works....not a problem :)
We love the hotel and cannot wait to come back!!!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank buddhaboo
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed Malta and your stay at Preluna.
We did have an issue with one of the lifts however all has been solved now. Thank you for your understanding.

We hope to welcome you back to The Preluna in the near future.