“Hidden Gem”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Newman's Place
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We really enjoyed our meal at Newman's last night. The menu outside was appealing and the local fish the lampuki looked really fresh.

I chose Lampuki while my husband had seafood pasta. The fish was cooked perfectly. It was accompanied by salad and chunky chips which were also delicious. My husband's seafood pasta was tasty with a generous amount of seafood. Bread accompanying the meal was complimentary.
The bill for the meal plus 2 large beers and a Kinnie came to €30.70 which was good value.
The service was excellent.

This was a much better dining experience than we had had at restaurants nearby where both the fish and pasta were below standard, so much so that I questioned the waiter if the right fish had been delivered to our table.

We chatted to other diners at Neuman's and they appeared equally pleased with their choices. We will be returning to try some more Maltese dishes. Glad to have come across this restaurant.

1  Thank maltesegypsy

Reviewed April 8, 2012

The menu items on the boards outside looked inviting. I went for the two course option of soup and fish. The soup had a bit of debris in it, which the chef, who was also the boss, said had come from the dishwasher. Oh - that's OK then! The fish was swordfish - tasty enough but not what I'd ordered. Time to pay - oops, their credit card machine wasn't working. Well well - cash only. Three very well-oiled gents came in during the meal and hobnobbed with the chef for a while. That added a certain je ne sais quoi to the ambience. The French waitress was, though, charming - and therefore rather out of place. I'd be surprised if she stays long.
Just down the road is a pub/restaurant called Tri Angeli which we tried on another night. What a contrast! We went back to that one twice more.

1  Thank pathlets
Reviewed February 8, 2012

,waiter unclean looking,food very little and poor,over priced...the place hasnt been cleaned for years dust everywhere....we were the only ones there now i know why

1  Thank cara255
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Scary and app hauling place to be in, don't pls don't be fooled by the location.

1  Thank Cutie0412
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We were looking for somewhere to eat in Sliema and came across this place on the harbour side. There was an extensive menu on the boards outside so we decided to go in. The place was empty, no customers at all, not even at the bar. There was only one person working and I assume he was the owner. He seemed to be very friendly. We both ordered the Portuguese Piri Piri Chicken. It was served with fried potatoes and vegetables. We were also given a basket of bread which I assumed we would have to pay for but it was actually free. The food was absolutely delicious, very tasty. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. There were only two downsides and they both had nothing to do with the actual meal: My boyfriend said the mens toilets were not that clean or tidy and also the restaurant is situated next to a bar which had a bit of bass music going on. The man who served us also spent a lot of time outside chatting to people on the street, but this did not bother us as he kept popping back in to check we were ok.

2  Thank acs1984