“Truly the worst italian I have ever been too!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Newman's Place - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Newman's Place
Durham, United Kingdom
“Truly the worst italian I have ever been too!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

The place was empty when we arrived, we thought it would be nice to have some quiet so we walked in and were greeted by the owner.

We were sat down and ordered then I realised I had made a mistake, I noticed the table had crumbs on it and rings from drinks so wasn't clean and looked down and the floor looked dirty as well. The owner was friendly maybe a little too friendly, but I will get on to that later!

I ordered a pizza and my other half had chicken with prawns, either of us enjoyed our meals. My pizza base was overcooked, the mushrooms weren't cooked, instead of using sauce like you should there was cheap tinned tomatoes and hardly any cheese, with too much garlic oil. It was terrible and the worst pizza I have had in my life! My other half said his was flavourless and cold. The prices weren't cheap but if we had enjoyed our meal then we wouldn't have minded!

The owner then decided to sit next to us and talk to us for 45 minutes and just couldn't get out of there, We didn't mind him talking to us but it was the way and the length of time that he did it that annoyed me. In the end we made our excuses and as I didn't finish my meal the owner put it in a container for me, which was also dirty and thrown in the bin on the way back to the hotel!

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank cazzzie987

Cornwall, United Kingdom
“Definitely worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

It was our last evening in Sliema and too cold to eat outside. It was also quite early as we had to be up at 4 a.m. to leave the next day. The menu looked good in range and price, the seats looked comfortable (unlike other places nearby) and the owner was welcoming. By the look of the band stage and signs it could get lively later but we were the only diners. A few locals were drinking at the bar - always a good sign. I ordered the chicken escalope and a good bottle of local wine. The owner was friendly and ready to chat. The meal didn't take too long and it was delicious, beautifully cooked and presented and ample in size.
What more could you want? I just wish I'd found it earlier in the week!
Try to guess why it's called Newman's Place and why Paul Newman's photo is on the walls and menus. Then ask the owner.

1 Thank Robonline