“Pure Bliss”
Review of Hotel Fortina

Hotel Fortina
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed October 23, 2009

Stayed in the 4 star to have more money to spend in the spa and was pleasantly surprised. . My room was new and of a high standard (even with plasma). Booked on AI with Spa Travel. Dine around was brilliant. Spent most afternoons in the spa. Much cheaper than here in the UK and very relaxing. Best place to unwind, destress and enjoy great food and location. Will return for sure. Keep it up Fortina!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SimonHart

Reviewed October 22, 2009

Beautiful pool areas indoor and out. Thalaso therapy too. Fully equipped gym inclusive steam and sauna in changing rooms. Excercise classes very thoroughly trained instructors. Tried some beauty treatments in the deluxe spa region of 5*, very good value in comparison with health farms over in the uk. Good variety of inclusive food and drink, a variety of resturants too, and you had the option of booking and up-grading to the other hotel resturants located on the complex. Staff all friendly, as well as the chambermaids, bar staff and reception. Easy flight and collection from the airport to and from hotel. Just a great time to switch off and not do any thing as the weather is still kind this time of year-we had great sea views from our balcony. The most we had to think about was where to go for our meals and what time our beauty treatments were booked for!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank lavenderbhox
Reviewed October 20, 2009

we stayed in 4 star with kids and basically we could have stayed longer. In fact we have been back since. Everyone in our party ages ranging from 5yrs to 50yrs had a great time. the hotel is extremely accomadating for adults and children. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and there is penty to do.We loved it.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank fitnesssLondon
Reviewed October 20, 2009

This was second visit to Malta, 1st time at the Fortina. The whole experience was great although I was almost put off by some of the bad reviews, I urge people to go and see for themselves what a great place this is. The staff couldn't do enough for us, true maltese hospitality!!!
The rooms were okay, clean & comftorable. I travelled with 3 friends on a girly break so we needed a based and this was a great location. Right on the seafront over looking valletta, and just a stones throw from the night life paceville which is a great night out, and all the shops on the doorstep.
We went on a couple of excursions which were organized by the hotel a boat trip around the island, and another to comino which is well worth a visit. There was also a spa next door.
Would definately go back.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank scouser30
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I can not wait to return. My friends and i are booking now for next year. Great value for money. We would have spent a fortune eating out in restaurants of this quality. A perfect place to stay to chill or explore the island.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2009

To be honest I am usually a 5 star customer of the Fortina Spa Resort, the sister hotel of the 4 star side of the Fortina in Sliema. I have stayed at the hotel several times over the past 5 years since they developed the Spa (as I am partial to a pampering). I find myself in Malta for business at least 6 times a year and I always stay at the Fortina, service quality and food being a personal priority.

Last weekend I had a wedding to attend with my partner and we booked really late on. I took it for granted that we would get a 5 star room but the hotel was completely full (that's how good it is!) so we got a garden view 4 star room.

We received an excellent rate, direct from the hotel with an all inclusive option. I understood from the start that although it was all-inclusive we had set menus for the restaurant. The menus were extensive even though they weren't a la carte, I got to eat my favourite dishes anyway....and as always, got alcohol during the meal and at the bars for free! I only paid 10 Euros once to go a la carte which was hardly a hardship for the superb quality food. If you are at all knowledgeable about Malta you will know that a meal in the best restaurants on the island will easily put you back a couple of hundred Euros - especially if you like good food/wine. You will also know that the Fortina restaurants are as good (if not better quality!!!) included in your AI status if you stay at the hotel. A major tip is to book the restaurants you want to eat in as soon as you book - you can change this when you are there but locals go to the restaurants too due to the quality, so space can get tight. Personally never been disappointed by not eating at the restaurant I wished.

I ate breakfast in La Vallette restaurant for the first time. It was a buffet with a stunning view of Valletta across the water of the harbour. The restaurant interior was more basic than I’m used to however the choice of food was phenomenal. Full hot breakfast, eggs every way possible, great sausages, all continental cold cuts, buns, baps, toast, a plethora of cereals and hot/cold beverages. What more could you ask for? Staff were very sweet.

The lifts were a pain but once you got orientated and used to the hotel layout it became much better.

Our room was huge and clean. Admittedly, not as grand as the 5 star side. It was a basic, straight forward room. There was some building going on but that is nothing to do with the hotel and not their fault so we didn't let it bother us. I have to say, my best advice would be to go 5 star every time! The Spa Bedrooms or the amazing Wellness Rooms and you will never be disappointed. But if it is a cheap holiday you want, with access to good food and an incredible spa then go 4 star but don't expect the grandeur of the other side of the resort. You get what you pay for after all.

Finally, I'd like to say how wonderful the reception staff were in the 4 star side. I'd managed to lose a designer handbag at the wedding and they called the venue for me constantly all the next day and arranged a wonderful driver to take us there. I didn't get it back but the blow was considerably lessened with the sympathy and thoughtfulness of the staff!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2009

I spent one week at Fortina Resort **** and got a positive surprise when I saw the room. Very often single rooms are small and less comfortable than double rooms but in this hotel I got a spacious room on 6th floor - with seaview. The room was definitively better than what I'd expected from the images and description in the hotel's wab pages, and the bathroom was quite small, but very clean and shiny.

We had an all inclusive package and could choose between 5 restaurants within the hotel area (the Thai restaurant is definitively recommended, and the others were nice as well).

The staff was friendly and serviceminded, but datatrouble caused some problems for the receptionist when our rather big group was about to check in.

The spa located in the hotel was also very good and with the Sliema-Valetta ferry within 10 minutes walking distance from the hotel, the access to Valetta was very good as well.

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank CillaN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
Fortina Spa Resort
#2 of 28 in Sliema
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Hotel Fortina? Share your experiences!