“four Star let down”

Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Manchester, United Kingdom
“four Star let down”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We booked a premier room sea view. on half board basis. The room was only basic. More like a three star. I asked if we had been given the correct room and was told we had. The balcony was tiny, the view large. There was just enough room for two chairs. the bathroom was small. After three nights we asked to be moved and went into the five star Tower sea veiw room. for which we paid an extra 25 euro per night, but well worth it. It was a five star room no complaints. We paid seven euros each for breakfast in the Taste restaurant which was well worth the extra. Next time we go we will book a Tower room sea view on B & B basis. The garden view rooms do not get the sun nor do the spa bedrooms as they are to the rear of the hotel. The dine around arrangements are thus. If you book into the four star you can go to five other restaurants on site BUT you are given a fixed menu to choose from which we did not like. We were made to feel like second class citizens.
There was a lot of road noise. Unfortunatly the main road runs right past the hotel and you cannot escape the noise unless you are in a garden view room. There were also a lot of road works around the hotel which made matters a lot worse. I would ask for a room higher up to minimise the noise. The views are splendid. The four star was a huge dissapointment I really expected a better room. It needs a lot of money spenting on it if it is to attract repeat visitors. The staff were very helpful and did their best. Many times we were in reception and people were trying to change rooms. They also have some rooms with no windows! The breakfast in the restaurant was very noisy, almost like a canteen. The evening meal was much quieter but the food was hit and miss.

Room Tip: If a sunny balcony is a must choose the Tower sea view as high as you can!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pearl M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
preston
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Just returned from our second trip to Malta,decided to stay at the Fortina in Silema,on arrival it was chaotic as another coach had turned up as well as ours, we were told rooms would be available approx 2.30pm. when we aqquired our room it was terrible,the smallest bathroom,the balcony was too scary overlooking the very noisy road. We asked to change rooms,was offered upgrade to 5star at an extra cost 40euro's per night we declined,was then offered another upgrade to 7th floor overlooking the gardens and the sea at an extra cost 10euro's per night,we rreluctantly accepted as by this time we are so stressed,and was not offered anything else. We were celebrating our golden wedding so decided to put this behind us and enjoy our holiday,which we did,but felt overall the Hotel is interested in selling time share.

Room Tip: The garden rooms 6th to 8th floors overlooking gardens and the sea
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Just back from Fortina ****. First room on 1st floor overlooking harbour was small, minuscue bathroom & VERY noisy from traffic. Fantastic view across harbour and to Valletta. Asked to change rooms the next morning and given excellent room on garden side on 8th floor, with a view across rooftops to sea. Staff were excellent and very helpful; restaurants were good although the food portions on half board were gargantuan. Pool area not the greatest although view was wonderful. Found spa facilities very expensive and irritated by time share approach within an hour of arrival. The only lift to the 8th floor was unreliable & doors closed dangerously quickly especially for elderly/those with mobility issues

Room Tip: garden view rooms are much quieter and the higher up, the better the view across the ocean
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Barbara R
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is now my third trip to Malta in the last year. I decided to try the Fortina this time as again it as within walking distance to my office and most of the Sliema area. The rates were very attractive, even for Malta and I had walked past the property during previous visits.

I booked a "double" room, expecting a queen size bed verses two twins pushed together. I was not disappointed in that respect.

Check-in was a fairly painless process. My room key was waiting and as expected they took a credit card imprint for room/restaurant charges.

Getting to the room seemed a tad of a chore, they are in the process of adding a new series of elevators and only one on my side of the hotel was operational. Most elevators in Malta are tiny, so we're talking room for 1-2 people with luggage and 4-5 without. I waited several minutes for an elevator with sufficient room for my one suitcase and myself.

The room was clean by all Malata standards, an ample supply of towels, and pretty much what expected based on the low nightly rate (under $80 USD). The rooms in Malta are very SMALL. So, setting out your luggage, trying to set up an ironing board and moving around the room at the same time will prove to be a major chore.

Pros:

VIEW: The view from the waterfront rooms are beyond amazing. They are directly on Sliema harbor and no matter what time of day, the view from the room will make all of the cons, disappear.

LOCATION: This is in a great location to walk to the shops at The Pointe, into Sliema, around to the ocean, etc.. Within a 10 minute walk there are over a hundred restaurants and shops, easy access to the tour buses, and harbor tours.

Cons:

This is an old property, tiny rooms, very small elevators. They call it their "4-Star" property as they also have a "5-Star" property next door. Don't compare this to a 4-Star Hilton, DoubleTree, Biltmore, etc.. You will be disappointed.

No shower curtains in the two rooms I had. Totally drenched the floor taking daily showers.

Very little in the way of amenities, one bar of soap, no hand lotion, one pouch of shampoo. None of which were replaced during my stay.

Barely functional A/C. Electricity is VERY expensive in Malta, so on hot days do not expect to be able to chill down the room. Luckily the waterfront rooms get a decent breeze off of the harbor which made of a nice nights sleep despite the heat.

They also own/maintain a pool, bar and small restaurant across the street on the water. Several times I found myself sitting there enjoying a glass of wine at Sunset.

I have some mixed feelings about this property. I had three things that pretty much ticked me off at one point that I want to share.

A. The maid/housekeeping service starts their day very early. On Saturday morning the knock at my door was before 8am, then again a half hour later. I don't like to be woken up that early and think that they should have more respect for their guests. The next night, I put the Do Not Disturb card on the door figuring that would resolve the problem. Sunday morning I heard housekeeping going door to door just after 8am and even my Do Not Disturb card detoured her from banging on my door at that early hour.

B. Due to the elevator situation, when I was ready to check out, it took close to 30 minutes to get an elevator from the 5th floor to the lobby. Every time it stopped at my floor it was jam packed with people and luggage and no room. I tried to take the stairs, but due to the contraction exits from the stairs to the lobby are booked as well. This was beyond frustrating carrying my luggage from floor to floor trying to find a working elevator that had room for me and my one piece of luggage.

C. Upon checking out, the front desk clerk was VERY rude. It seems that when I checked in after seventeen hours of flying, they gave me a card for pool towels. As this was a business trip and I had not even packed a bathing suit, I discarded it during my normal paperwork cleanup proper to departing. Well, you would think that I just tried to steal the crown jewels from the hotel. I was berated and told that it would cost me 20 EUR for every towel that was missing or used by my card and as they had my credit card number on file, I took exception to that. So, let that be a warning to you. It took close to fifteen minutes to convince them that I was not trying to steal pool towels and had not given their towel coupon to someone on the street. I'm sure I'll still have a charge to dispute in the near future.

Finaly on the morning departure, it was very windy in Malta. The main door entrance/exit of the hotel had been locked down to prevent if from blowing open and closed. There was a sign on it, saying to use the next door. It was locked. There was a sign on that one saying to use the next door, pointing back to the locked main door. You have to picture 20-30 tourists in the lobby all trying to figure out how to get the heck out of the hotel.

And the front desk clerks, USELESS.. Just pointing towards the locked door.

Now, I need to say that this is not my first trip out of the United States, in fact I visit 7-8 countries a month on business. My company uses the Fortina a great deal and we've got 18 rooms booked there in December 2012 alone.

NEVER AGAIN. There are a great number of hotels in Malta that me and my co-workers have stayed at. All in the same price range, all with equal accommodations. This will not be one I or any of my co-workers will be staying at again. The view may be spectacular, but the attitude of the front desk people really ruined that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank CaptainMHB

Travelers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We have just returned from our first visit to Malta at the Hotel Fortina in Sliema.We were a bit apprehensive after looking at some of the reviews but were very pleased with our choice.The hotel is on the sea front looking directly at Valetta and the wonderful views.We were given a room on the 3rd floor with a sea view and balcony ,twin beds,bathroom with bath and shower.The room was clean,the maids came in daily to change the towels and make the beds and the view to Valetta was fantastic especially at night.We spent every night before going out sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine enjoying the view.We had read about people being approached re visiting the 5 star spa next door but the lady who gave us our free harbour cruise tickets tried to get us to go and see the spa but we firmly said we were not interested and she didnt bother us again.We had B&B so only had breakfast in the downstairs restaurant which was very good everything you could want,hot and cold items,cereals,fruit,yoghurts,toast infact one of the best breakfast choices we have had.You can book to eat in one of the hotel restaurants as long as you give about 2 days notice,you have to book at reception,so we decided to eat in the thai.The set menus ranged from E29 -not too bad -to E90 which we thought was too expensive for what was on offer.We had the E29 menu which was acceptable seeing that eating out seemed to much more expensive than in the UK.The whole complex is lovely and I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting Sliema.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sea view to enjoy the fantastic harbour and Valetta anything from 3rd floor will...
1 Thank Lynn K
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had read previous comments about time share at this hotel and were therefore fully prepared to be approached. This is very cleverly done as the hotel offers all guests free harbour cruises with Captain Morgan ( who we were told are owned by the same company) and two hours each in the 5 star spa. Aldo the hotels time share tout is outside the breakfast room every morning and as he did with us, if he does not catch you will ring you in your room to pressurise you into witnessing the benefits and savings on offer for your next visit to the hotel. We told Aldo from the offset that we were not interested, his is very persistand and only when my husband firmly said we were not iplaying ball did he let us go- he managed to get us up to the 12th floor of the 5 star tower and gave us spa treatment tickets ( failing to mention they needed stamping before they could be used).

This being said the hotel is very good, some of the restaurants are better than others- MoMo was our favourite. The staff here are exceptionally good and the food was lovely, they were prepared to change things for our daughter if she did not like certain dishes.

Our room on the 3rd floor had spectacular views of Valetta and was perfectly adequate as a base to explore Malta. The hotel is very clean and on the whole the staff (except for Aldo if you don't want to learn about the five star!) are very efficient and fiendly.

The outdoor pools are unheated, though this didn't put my daughter and husband off; the hotel mananger was quite surprised to see them swimming in the garden pool which also does not get any sunshine in the winter months ( said they get a few 'nutters' every year who do the same!!)

We booked our package with low cost holidays, we added private taxi transfer and the holiday was exceptionally good value for money- much cheaper than Tenerife, a much better holiday experience all round.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are a must, we chose a superior room which was adequate.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank clare w
Wing
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel Fortina and Spa is well placed. Our room on the 7th floor was spacious, with a bath and shower in the en suite. Had a lovely balcony overlooking the garden and pool area. I was a little disappointed at the prices in the Spa, but the choice of swimming pools is excellent, and staff were attentive and friendly.
Standards of cleanliness were excellent - and the garden were beautfiul. Some of the facilities were closed, but that is to be expected in October towards the end of the season.
Would recommend it for a relaxing week in the sun to kick off the winter blues.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view with a balcony in the 4*
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
Fortina Spa Resort
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#4 of 15 in Valletta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,764 reviews

Been to Hotel Fortina? Share your experiences!