“Expectations were higher!”

Bacchus Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 25 Restaurants in Mdina
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Medieval Mdina is a city of wonders. Along the narrow lamp-lit streets, the Cathedral, convents, palazzos, quaint little houses and museums which characterise the Silent City you will find Bacchus Restaurant on the first turning to the left as you enter Mdina. Bacchus’s Chefs and Serving Staff make no bones about the fact that they consider the input of customers as the strongest motivation for them to give their customers the kind of experience they would enjoy. Let us know - directly. And we'll make sure your experience here is what you want.
Gharghur, Malta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Expectations were higher!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

I've heard some quite positive comments prior my visit however, I was a little bit disappointed when I actually went to Bacchus.My partner and I went there for lunch and we took a main course and a desert. We were quite satisfied with the food. From start to finish it took precisely 2.5 hours which is quite long for a main course and a desert! The service was very slow and also a bit lacking (we had to ask for a chiller for our wine) and there were only a couple of other people having lunch (7 tables in all, with maximum 2 to 4 people per table). I would love to visit again, but I have to know that the service has excelled.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Island of Malta, Malta
“Amazing food, lovely experience”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Had a great evening, with exquisite food, amazing helpful staff, very fast service.. says it all! One must try, you won't be disappointed for sure ;) Also, Imdina is a lovely quiet city, great for a romantic dinner!!

• Visited December 2012
“3hrs between starter and main course!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Went to eat there on Mother's Day. An absolute shambles from beginning to end. It was evident that something was very wrong. Food was taking waaayyy too long to arrive. Irritated patrons started leaving without ever getting their food. We decided to stick it out and had to wait almost 3hrs between our starters and main course.

Food was utterly forgettable. The pasta was so overcooked it was impossible to pick up with a fork. Another family member ordered the duck which the waiter said was "shredded duck on salad" and turned out to be a lone bland duck burger with no salad whatsoever. Soup lacked any flavour whatsoever.

If the restaurant cannot cope with a sizeable amount of clients it should keep it's doors closed and not irritate the hell out of people this way. Packing the restaurant with tables hoping to make a quick buck and then under-delivering so spectacularly is not on. Whoever was there today wont be returning for sure and making sure their friends dont as well.

2 Thank zickler
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
“Good food but poor value”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I took my parents out to lunch to Bacchus Restaurant. I was hoping that it would be a treat, something different from the usual. The atmosphere was nice and the service was polite and friendly. The 3 of us just wanted to order a main, which we did. I checked on the menu whether we needed to order sides but it stated that all mains are served with vegetables and potatoes. When the mains arrived, we got 2 tiny bowls with vegetables (each containing 1 broccoli floret, 3 carrot sticks, 1 cauliflower floret, 1 baby onion) and nothing else. I enquired with the waiter about the potatoes. He explained that our 'potatoes' were the spoonful of mash under our fish/meat. I remarked that I had expected a side dish of potatoes, from what I had read in the menu. The waiter consented to my request and eventually brought out 2 bowls of potatoes... There was a total of 4 small-medium sized potatoes, to be shared between 3 adults.
Surely they could afford some extra potatoes and some extra vegetables?
The food was tasty and nicely cooked. Value was poor.

Mellieha, Malta
“Rookie mistakes and arrogance”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

After reading about Bacchus on Tripadvisor, our expectations was high, We came to the restaurant around 8 o`clock on a Sunday and it was not hard to find a table. First impression was good, very nice surroundings and beautiful scenery. You could tell right away these guys were aiming high. Then we were sat at the table, and the most idiotic thing occurred - the table was way to low compared to the chair. It felt like we had the table on our knees. We saw the same problem with the rest of the diners. Then we were served bread and butter, unfortunately the butter tasted of refrigerator - so it has probably been prepared hours before and then stored without cover.

Main courses was well cocked and tasty, but a boring presentation and a very small portion. The saltshaker was empty - I guess they have time to check these things before service. Dessert was nice and interesting we enjoyed that.

I think all the small rookie mistakes we experienced combined with an arrogance do not suit a restaurant who is aiming this high. There was no enthusiasm like you would expect in a place like this. For us this was a ordinary experience - what a shame.

2 Thank Benny W