“Fantastic view!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Dessert in Mdina
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We came to look out from the tea garden. Only had a sandwich which was good. View outstanding and service good.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Try as I might I could not resist a big chunk of the splendid Chocolate Orange cake and coffee on the stoke of midnight while taking in the spectacular view from my table right on the Mdina bastions. This comment is an underestimation for this treat. I have been visiting this gem of a place for many many years but the food is as if it never changed from the awesome cakes of early days.Divine cakes from Fontanella are a must for everyone visiting the silent city.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We didn't eat a meal here, but stopped for a bit of an afternoon treat. As with most all of Mdina, it is a touristy place, but still worth a stop. Think cafe stop, I'd say. We had a specialty coffee, a local beer and a piece of cake each, about €12. There are loads of choices and the pieces are extremely generous and quite tasty. Service was quite good, considering how busy they appear to always be. I suggest that you pick a table outside near the balcony edges for amazing views over the island while you enjoy a quick break. The only disappointing point I'd make is that it had one of the worst loos I've seen in a long time; so if at all possible don't use them!!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

There within the ancient city's fortified walls lies one of the best located eateries, the Fontanella Tea Garden offering superb views over large parts of Malta, form its terraced seating. Fontanella has become over its 38years of existence an essential pitstop for anyone sightseeing the beauty that is Mdina. The place is lovely, with a profusion of greenery, colourful umbrellas and scattered rooms, typical farmhouse fayre.

The smell of fresh cakes, pies and food is Fontanella’s invite to sit at table. The most significant smell of freshly baked pastizzi and the variety of home-made cakes have become a national symbol of Fontanella’s food heritage. We were lucky to find a table for four on the roof terrace. This time around we decided to try something different for having just tea and pastizzi. Two of us ordered a bowl of excellent Vegetable Soup partly pureed. This was served with 4 slices of one-side-toasted bread and butter, a small packet of pepper but no grated cheese. This came late as we scooped up our last spoon. Our friend Paul order a Piccalilli Baguette which was not as good as he anticipated, whilst I preferred to go for a Tuna Pizza. This was excellent. Filling was generous and the pizza dough was baked to perfection. My wife who did not fancy eating anything succumbed to the taste of my pizza crust. More steaming pots of tea followed making our eating all’aperto more exciting. Table cleared, we all decided to try at least one slice of the famous Fontanella cakes. Our choice fell on a portion of Banoffee Pie, an English dessert pie made from bananas, cream and toffee. Good but too sweet for me.

All in all we had an abundant hour of amusing time digesting good food whilst enjoying the day slowly withering away into night. An all Maltese service was well met and adequate, but with so many fully employed, it could have been so much better. Total expense was minimal. Will always return, when in the vicinity.

1  Thank GorgGorgaSciberras
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We went here during the day for a cake stop! We ordered 4 drinks and 4 slices of cake and it came to under €20 which I thought was great value considering the quality. The cakes were all really tasty and of a good size and we saw other people's orders for sandwiches and these looked great too. The service was efficient and professional but because they were so busy I don't think the staff had the chance to be friendly or more personal. My one criticism is of the flies - there were absolutely loads of them and they were so annoying!!! But I would definitely eat here again regardless :-)