“Good food in a truly medieval atmosphere”
Review of Medina Restaurant

Medina Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Mdina
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Dine in truly romantic surroundings beneath the flowering Oleander tree in the vine-clustered courtyard during the summer, and by candle-light and an open log fireplace that keeps the restaurant warm during the winter months. The Medina presents a selected à la Carte menu based on Mediterranean and local cuisine, frequently changed to guarantee the pleasure of regular diners.
Malta
“Good food in a truly medieval atmosphere”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have been to this restaurant quite a few times and always enjoyed myself there.

The atmosphere, service and food are all truly above average - a place I highly recommend to both locals and more so to foreigners who love to visit the Silent City at night.

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Island of Malta, Malta
“A nice alternative”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Ambience is fantastic. Staff very welcoming and friendly but Menu needs to be more varied now that I've tried most of it.

• Visited September 2013
San Gwann, Malta
“Overrated???”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have been to many restaurants in Malta and abroad, in London, Paris, Rome and Bologna.
I can only say one thing. No place comes near the Medina in food, quality and service.
My son who I brought up from an early age (5) dining out at some good restaurants and now at age 24, has been to more countries and chooses his dining venues well, would eat nowhere except at The Medina. Also I would mention that he completed a cooking course on 'Royal Thai Cuisine' at the Blue Elephant Cooking School, Bangkok.
When we eat at The Medina, my wife, my son and myself all have different preferences and when the food arrives (not cold) it is just perfect.
The staff make you feel at home and are eager to make your evening a special one. Not to mention also the atmosphere, be it in summer or winter.
If I wanted to treat someone to a good dining experience or recommend a good place to eat, I would choose The Medina without a second thought.
As regards the price, I find this compares well with any other restaurant.
I know that Mr Debono and his staff would never let me down.
All I can add is 'Keep up the excellent work'

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Konrad A
Madliena
“Award winning restaurant”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I feel Mr Attard's 'overrated' review can not go ignored. I have been dining at The Medina for many years, in fact it is probably one of the only restaurants which has maintained its consistency for 30 years +. In fact, this very week The Medina won the Definit(iv)ly Good Guide Award for Ambience, came 2nd for Food and Service, and 2nd Malta restaurant OVERALL. I think this says it all. Congratulations to Noel, the gentleman proprietor, and his excellent team.

Naxxar, Malta
“overrated!!!”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

It was my third visit at The Medina Restaurant, but this week's experience was definitely incomparable with my previous visits.

(i) I expect that when some of the menu items are not available the server will immediately notify the client. My guest and I both opted for the rizzi linguine and apologetically the restaurant manager explained that due to bad weather this starter wasn’t available. Then I remembered that on website the menu had the razor clams (see link: http://www.medinarestaurantmalta.com/menu_a-la-carte.pdf) and whilst at first the waiter confirmed that you have this item, after a couple of minutes he regretfully stated that it was no longer in the menu. As an alternative, he suggested the veal liver (it is on the verge of incredulity how this can ever be a substitute to rizzi or razor clams), however reluctantly my friend had to settle for this option. It turned out to be cooked rare and extremely chewy.

(ii) The other starter was duck tagliatelle, these were good but served barely warm which got even colder by the time I had to ask the server for parmesan cheese. Anyway, it was still the best dish of the evening.

(iii) Main Courses - The beef fillet was served well-done and not medium-to-well as pre-specified. In order to accelerate to cooking process (which by the way we were not in a hurry) the chef decided to split the cut in half so that it can be cooked faster. It is important to note that the menu specifies that this is ‘slow cooked’, only not to mention the ‘truffle scented mash potatoes’ which were simply plain and tasteless.

(iv) However, the cherry on the cake was the calamari dish, it was simply inedible, stuffed with a horrible mousse and the calamari was impossible to tell whether it was boiled or grilled. My friend left more than 70% of this dish in the plate (i.e. all the stuffing and more than half of the calamari) and the server did not even bother to ask if everything was fine. At this point it was obvious that we had to go for a dessert somewhere else.

In addition, I had a gas heater so close to the table (with the heat emitting in the opposite direction) that I could barely stretch my feet .... in an almost empty restaurant.