“Beautiful restaurant, delicious food but they don't like children.....”

de Mondion Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 23 Restaurants in Mdina
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The de Mondion restaurant at The Xara Palace Relais & Chateaux has consistently rated amongst the top restaurants on the island. Set atop Mdina's centuries-old bastions, the de Mondion enjoys truly stunning 180-degree views of Malta, the panorama providing a spectacular accompaniment to the restaurant's comfortable and convivial setting. We also pride ourselves in offering a discreet yet attentive service, leaving you time to savour the refined cuisine, the company and the view.The cuisine combines the finest seasonal produce with innovation and expertise to create tantalizing dishes of a style we like to call Modern Mediterranean.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were staying in the Westin Dragoonara at St Julians and our concierge recommended the de Mondian as being one of the best restaurants on the island. He booked it for us but forgot to tell the restaurant we were two adults and two children (aged 6 and 9 and very well behaved). So we arrived and went to the bar for an aperitif and the staff were horrified that we had our children with us. They actually went in to some kind of panic and basically told us children weren't allowed in their restaurant! As we had travelled across the island for dinner there we tried to get them to compromise. They went away to think about it leaving us to have our drinks - incidently we sent the Kir Royale back as they had made it with prosecco that had been opened about a week before...... After seeing that our kids hadn't wrecked the bar and weren't running wild they grudgingly said they could accomodate us on "the lower terrace" and not in the main restaurant. This was actually quite good as it was a hot night and the lower terrace was more open and therefore cooler. The view was the same - beautiful as the sun went down and the lights came on and we could see all the way to the coast. The food was excellent and the wine list was impressive. Hard to get the waiter to smile but I think that was because he was scared of the children. It's a shame they were so stuffy as we had a really good evening with lovely food in a beautiful setting.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

So, as the title reads the problems were with the service I was dining on a friday night the past one just. I've booked a table for 2 at 930pm.

The menu it's wonderfully balanced with the choice of the best food ever you can ever eat.

Service I was abit gutted and shocked, I had to ask for the water and wine to be topped up after my main course, we were not offer bread with our main course and I was given a side plate with a knife, for my cheese platter ( again was wonderful the food ) but I was not given bread and biscuits to eat with my cheese.

After such an experience, i still wanted to leave tips, but the waiter does not know how to use the epos machines, as he did not let me add tips on the dinner value, so then I said if they are so "intelligent" they will stay without tips.

Again I will recommended to every body this restaurant for the food, it's an experience worth taking eating at De Mondion, but the service leaves little to desire honestly.

The food only in such a restaurant is not enough and then for the prices we had to pay... the service has to be spot on not with this hiccups.

I give an average rating because my experience was not complete perfectly.

2  Thank Chris D
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Stunningly beautiful setting on the rooftop of the luxury Xara Palace hotel in the medieval walled town of Mdina, looking out over the lights of Malta. Food and wine excellent, service absolutely exceptional including the very best demonstration of champagne pouring I have ever witnessed. Proper 5 star service, I've rarely experienced better. Cannot recommend highly enough for a special treat if you are ever in the vicinity.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Not quite the food that we were hoping for. Extremely good bread and a great wine list. Joseph the head waiter was extremely pleasant. A stunning view on the ramparts of Medina.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Eating perfectly cooked food, outside, watching fireworks, with a great bottle of wine and the one you love, life does not get better than this.

Yes it is a bit on the expensive side but then settings like this must be paid for and I thought it was worth every penny.

I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.

The chefs were all excellent and we ate all four courses no problem.

If you like quality food and wine, plus outstanding views this is most definitely the best restaurant to dine in Malta.